Join Early Retirement Today
Wildfire Response Program~USAA
Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Wildfire Response Program~USAA

Received this communication from my HO/Auto insurer (USAA) today. It is a free service that covers 14 Western states including Texas. After looking it over and deciding that the price was right I have enrolled. I've never felt threatened by wildfire before but you never know.

To help you fight the growing risk of wildfire, we have enlisted the help of Wildfire Defense Systems (WDS), a trusted association of wildland firefighters to protect your home in the event of a wildfire.
  • Before: WDS firefighters will closely monitor wildfire events. Once dispatched, they may try to perform non-destructive mitigation activities such as moving wood piles and debris away from your home, closing windows and garage doors, and much more.
  • During: They may contact you and advise you of the wildfire location and proximity to your home.
  • After: They'll attempt to revisit your home and potentially put out any spot fires or flare-ups, identify the extent of damage and help expedite the claims process.

Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got that solicitation last year from USAA and signed up also. I live in Colorado near open space, and we've had reverse 911 calls about wild fires before. (Now that I don't have a land line, I don't the reverse 911 will work for me any more).

A reasonable amount of people in the Colorado mountains were signing up for services like this on their own, so I figure USAA wanted a cut of the business.

What I surmise from this is that insurers are gearing up for increased fire events in the 14 western states.

"The natural inclination of every boat everywhere is to sink".......Nicole Pasulka
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just got the same email. Guess I'll sign up too...
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote