Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Just wait. In Nashville, if you pay the surcharge, you can get that delivered, guaranteed, in less than an hour. (I have yet to use "Prime Now," but they have a surprisingly broad selection--as shown by that toilet flapper.)
Is the surcharge really large? Sounds expensive!

Honestly I can hardly wait, if it turns out to be something affordable. Instant gratification could be such a thrill.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The existence of Amazon and all the other online shopping facilities makes living in a tiny town great. We have almost no crime; I'd guess that about 90% of homes have guns in them. We don't have to put up with all the political correctness. I very rarely drive the 75 miles to a city since Amazon gets most things here in 2 days. We have the basic hardware, grocery, and clothing stores but for the most part only 1 of each. We also have a clinic, hospital, theater, and a good school. Plus we have about 10 miles of biking/hiking trails. One of the weirder things is we have 3 banks and a credit union. The weather leaves a bit to be desired but I am used to it.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #63

We're also in a small town and for the most part I love it, but I had a disappointing experience with the local flooring company. DH and I went there looking for floor covering for our newly-enclosed porch after they published a coupon in the local paper offering 10% off for town residents. The woman behind the desk showed us a product we liked but said one of the guys who was out to lunch at the moment would call us with answers to our technical questions.

That was 3 months ago. They're still out to lunch, I guess. All we can figure is that they don't want to deal with us because we're small potatoes- maybe about $1K since I'll be doing the installation myself. Wayfair.com has the same product and it costs less. Sad, but that's probably where we'll be buying it when it's warm enough to install tiles (the porch isn't totally insulated and the adhesive must be kept at the right temperature).
Old 01-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Is the surcharge really large? Sounds expensive!

Honestly I can hardly wait, if [Amazon's Prime Now] turns out to be something affordable. Instant gratification could be such a thrill.
It is advertised at $7.99 flat rate for the one hour delivery. That's on top of your $99 annual Prime membership.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Frankly, Christmas during my lifetime has always been highly commercial
I miss the old days, when we could rely on all the Chinese restaurants being open on Christmas Day. I no longer can count on that where I live.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #66
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
... That was 3 months ago. They're still out to lunch, I guess. All we can figure is that they don't want to deal with us because we're small potatoes- maybe about $1K ...
Playing devil's advocate here ...

Perhaps they lost the paper on which they jotted your information? Perhaps they got a phone digit wrong? Not every slight in life has malice behind it.
---
Wayne.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, I think they will die out if my shopping habits are typical.
I'm like you, but I think that we are a skewed sample. This forum is dominated by older introverts, the exact opposite of the demographic that flocks to shopping malls.

Some B&M stores will continue to thrive in forms similar to their present form, some will evolve to survive, and many will die.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #68

I'm thinking about getting a new turntable (yes, vinyl records, I have hundreds if not more) and I just can't seem to get myself to order one off the internet.

I'm afraid it will be some plastic pile of crap that won't be any better than the Technics SL-D2 that I bought when I was 14 and still use.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'm thinking about getting a new turntable (yes, vinyl records, I have hundreds if not more) and I just can't seem to get myself to order one off the internet.

I'm afraid it will be some plastic pile of crap that won't be any better than the Technics SL-D2 that I bought when I was 14 and still use.
Check out eBay. An oldy but goody is waiting for you and probably for a lot less than a new one.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Check out eBay. An oldy but goody is waiting for you and probably for a lot less than a new one.
that's funny - I just bid on a technics linear tracking turntable for $80. I've always wanted one of those. Now I just have to find a nice p-mount cartridge for it.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
. DH and I went there looking for floor covering for our newly-enclosed porch after they published a coupon in the local paper offering 10% off for town residents. The woman behind the desk showed us a product we liked but said one of the guys who was out to lunch at the moment would call us with answers to our technical questions.

That was 3 months ago. They're still out to lunch, I guess. .
This is a common problem in Florida . I need a window repaired . The glass place called & said he would call next week to set up an appointment . That was in November .
Old 01-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
This is a common problem in Florida . I need a window repaired . The glass place called & said he would call next week to set up an appointment . That was in November .
A guy cold called and we signed a contract for him to trim my tree in Oct 2015. He was back soliciting in December and I told him he never completed the last job. No problem, they will do it in two days. Mid January and no sign of them. At least I've paid them nothing
Old 01-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #73

Quote:

I picked up an old DUAL 1219 turntable off ebay for a $150 about 2 years ago. Still works very well. I bought 2 Shure V15 type IV cartridges back in the early 90s and still have one unopened.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTimetoRide View Post
Playing devil's advocate here ...

Perhaps they lost the paper on which they jotted your information? Perhaps they got a phone digit wrong? Not every slight in life has malice behind it.
---
Wayne.
It's possible and I'd never call it "malice"- just "not interested". Plenty of time to figure out where we'll buy since we have to wait for milder weather.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I picked up an old DUAL 1219 turntable off ebay for a $150 about 2 years ago. Still works very well. I bought 2 Shure V15 type IV cartridges back in the early 90s and still have one unopened.
I just won a technics sl-5. It uses a p-mount cart.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #76

Quote:
I just won a technics sl-5. It uses a p-mount cart.
I have about 700 LPs and still play them regularly.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I have about 700 LPs and still play them regularly.
I need to count (and catalog) mine. I think I have over 1000.

I'll do it after I FIRE.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.............I'll do it after I FIRE.
Sure you will.

Once you are RE'd, there is always tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Goodness knows I TRY to give the brick and mortar stores business when I can, but it's hard sometimes. Last time I went to the department store at the mall, the clothing display looked like a bunch of kids had just come through and strewn everything everywhere. And it was a Tuesday afternoon in an empty store. When I do find something but maybe not my size, they offer to order it.

I was shopping for an appliance at Sears a couple of years ago and asked if they could explain the differences between models. I was invited to sit down and browse their web page in the store.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Will Brick and Mortar Stores Die Out?

Still have a relatively generic turntable from a Hitachi stereo I bought in about 1986. Have 300+ albums, but many are approaching 50 years old, and have been subjected to BSR mini-changers, errant roommates, and innumerable moves...

As for the retail environment, though it's painful for many, the landscape has changed. Not sure what the adaptation will be, except that it will be ongoing.

Back in the day, many small towns had a clothing store, appliance store, hardware store, etc. They had limited inventory, and, since buying in relatively small quantities, had no pricing power.

These were replaced by big box stores like Walmart, Home Depot, etc., stores that offered a larger product choice, and, due to quantity purchasing, could offer lower cost. The advent of the interstate highway system made it easier to drive to the regional mall.

Now, I can, from the comfort of my sofa, buy almost anything with a few clicks, and can use a search engine to find the exact item I need.

Many smaller towns have never recovered from/adapted to the big box store trend, let alone the online retail trend, and we have the deserted "downtowns" to prove it. We have literally billions (trillions?) of dollars tied up in highways, real estate, including the humongous parking lots, and sprawling suburbs, so that ship will be slow to turn.

But turn it will, just not sure of the direction. The current trend of creating mixed-use developments, with retail, restaurants, and apartments/condos is one answer, I suppose, though much of that retail seems to be boutique-ish, and higher priced, due in part to high rents and low sales volume, so not so practical for lower income folks.

The increasing cost of energy was supposed to drive us toward higher density development, and to be the death of suburbs and sprawl, but I guess the price of energy wasn't listening...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick-and-mortar, business, e-commerce, online retail, stores