Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

I can still buy my buggy whips locally at the feed store, but I buy my stryptic pencils online.

On a lighter note, being sort of a pack rat, I still have my original AR turntable I bought in 1971 and the Panasonic I bought in the late 70's. Have you seen what those AR turntables are selling for on ebay? I paid $72 for it in 1971 and now they can go as high as $400 for a nice one.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2go View Post
I can still buy my buggy whips locally at the feed store, but I buy my stryptic pencils online.

On a lighter note, being sort of a pack rat, I still have my original AR turntable I bought in 1971 and the Panasonic I bought in the late 70's. Have you seen what those AR turntables are selling for on ebay? I paid $72 for it in 1971 and now they can go as high as $400 for a nice one.
$72 in 1971 is worth $422 now. Not keeping up with inflation.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I actually have 2 turntables; I have a Thorens that I bought in 1972 but it got knocked off of its stand and the motor shaft suffered a slight bend. It's in its box in my basement and this thread has got me to decide to start looking for a replacement motor. It got damaged long before ebay existed and it just occured to me that I might now be able to find a replacement motor.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The Mayfair Daily Journal, January 8, 1880:

That's fictional, but the point still applies: Just like light bulbs didn't spell the end of candles, automobiles didn't spell the end of stables, and airlines didn't spell the end of ocean liners, online shopping won't kill B&M stores: If the parallels prevail, then we'll see B&M retail morph into a novelty of some sort, an experience for which, perhaps, people will pay a premium.
Yes I imagine one day we will pay for a yearly admission pass so we can visit a B&M store to fondle the displays and pick something up and take it to the cash register where a human will take paper currency as payment !

Oh wait the future is here it's Costco & Sam's
Old 01-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I disagree. The last 2 hand guns I purchased I bought online and shipped to my local gun store simply because it has to go through them. What if in the future someone like a notary service can receive firearms purchased online and process the proper paperwork?
You can, its called your local ffl.
I bought a hand gun online, and they shipped it to my buddy, who is an ffl.
I drove to his house, we filled out the paperwork, I paid him $20 and took the gun home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I also buy all my ammo online...way cheaper than B&M stores. The only benefit to a gun store is getting to feel the guns in your hand, how they feel, weight, trigger pull, etc etc. You can have one massive store kind of like a cabelas...although their gun inventory is pretty bust.
Once I bought ammo online, I asked they ship it to the store, but they said they couldn't and had to ship it to my place as a matter of safety.
About a week later when I got home there was a box of ammo sitting on the doorstep clearly marked as ammo for everyone walking by to see.

Now I buy ammo at the store.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You can, its called your local ffl.
I bought a hand gun online, and they shipped it to my buddy, who is an ffl.
I drove to his house, we filled out the paperwork, I paid him $20 and took the gun home.

Once I bought ammo online, I asked they ship it to the store, but they said they couldn't and had to ship it to my place as a matter of safety.
About a week later when I got home there was a box of ammo sitting on the doorstep clearly marked as ammo for everyone walking by to see.

Now I buy ammo at the store.
Interesting, when I moved back to my home town last June the movers would not take ammo I had to haul it myself.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #87

I think I buy all my computer stuff online, the choice of memory types is too much for a store to carry, and what is there to look at with a hard drive anyhow ?

I will easily buy appliances online as they are generally white cubes.
It's not like I get to try out the washer & dryer in the store to see how well they clean my clothes.
I did have a bad experience buying a dryer for a rental, as they shipped one that had a different door than the one I bought, and the tenant didn't know and didn't care and I found out weeks later.

When I went to Sears store to buy a stove, I spent 10 minutes buying it, I would have done it online, but didn't have a computer with me when travelling. Turned out they shipped one with a broken handle, so I phoned the store and they swapped the entire door with a floor model one so I didn't have to wait 2 weeks for delivery of a handle.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:10 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes I imagine one day we will pay for a yearly admission pass so we can visit a B&M store to fondle the displays and pick something up and take it to the cash register where a human will take paper currency as payment !

Oh wait the future is here it's Costco & Sam's
And that is for a place where staff are almost surely not going to know the difference between LG and Insignia.

Tags
brick-and-mortar, business, e-commerce, online retail, stores