Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Sufficit View Post
for those that carry a mortgage in retirement, Dave Ramsey likes to ask people if they had a paid off mortgage, would you go out and borrow to invest or place your money where ever it is you now have it?
That is exactly what I did. With mortgage rates near historical lows I believe that over the long run I can invest the proceeds and earn more than what I pay.

One thing to keep in mind though is that my mortgage is less than 10% of our net worth. If the mortgage would be much more of our net worth (say 50% or more) I would not be so comfortable using leverage the way I am.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

I listened to Dave Ramsey for a number of years, and count him as the encourager for my somewhat reluctant spouse to really get on board with our finances. Because the radio show is quite entertaining, DH came to be more interested in our financial goals, and eventually the goal of paying off our house.

I can discern the good advice given from the stuff that isn't. Just like the good parts of YMOYL. And I think Ramsey does a good public service to counsel those living paycheck to paycheck to save and get out of debt. Those folks aren't like most of us on the forum, but I used to be one of them.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've always paid off my credit cards in full each month. We paid off our mortgage this year. I do keep a fair amount of cash in a credit union account for emergencies. When I purchase a new car in the future we will probably do what we've always done and that is pay most of it in cash and take out a loan for some of it.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
As a side note, here is Dave Ramsey's house:

Dave Ramsey’s House: Living Like No One Else
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

No Mortgage or car pymts. Use cash back credit card for almost all purchases. Get over $1,000 cash back each year.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Any tips to maximize this tax free income?
1. Purchase Visa gift cards with your points credit card, preferably a new card that requires a high level of spend in the first few months, for a large number of points. A Visa gift card can be purchased for as little as $2 for a $500 card.

Or, Amazon has a way to transfer money from your credit card to send to a friend, like PayPal. There is no service charge.

The idea is to get as much 'charged' on the credit card to get points, and the bonus points that the new card offers.

2. Transfer the Visa gift card balances to an Amex BlueBird account, at a Walmart terminal.

3. Pay the balance on the points credit card with the balance in the BlueBird account. Or you can pay a mortgage or rent from this online checking account. Or any bill.

4. Then, you have lots of points on your credit card you can use to travel and save money. Some cards may allow you to redeem for a statement credit, which is like cash.

5. Look for a new credit card that gives another high-point reward bonus, and start at step 1.

It’s that easy...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

One light bulb moment we had this year on the credit card game was that it doesn't work to pay the property tax with a 2% back card because of the fees charged, but it did net out to a tidy profit to pay the property tax on a card with 50k in sign up bonus points.

Also, for those interested in the little bonus games, look out for Sharebuilder / Capital One Black Friday sign up bonus specials if you are still eligible. Last year I made around $1K between us and the kids.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

DLDS, I'll be paying our prop taxes in January with the card that has a 70,000 point bonus.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
DLDS, I'll be paying our prop taxes in January with the card that has a 70,000 point bonus.
What's a Point worth these days?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I have 300,000 points with Marriott Club. At 10,000 points for a one night room stay in a $100/night hotel, the points are worth about one cent per point.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

1. Purchase Visa gift cards with your points credit card, preferably a new card that requires a high level of spend in the first few months, for a large number of points. A Visa gift card can be purchased for as little as $2 for a $500 card.

Concerning purchasing Visa gift cards... I could do this in my 5% category say at Lowes or such when offered... I'm assuming sales tax is not charged on buying these? If there is, it negates any advantage for me in buying them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
It depends on whose they are. These are Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards, which are pretty darned good for my modes of travel. I swap them 1:1 for United miles, SW Air, or Marriott, or IHG, or use them on the reward website to book hotels or rental cars, depending.

Now Delta miles are a whole different story. Not as valuable, at least to me.

I keep my credit card stuff simpler than most, only juggling one initial spend at a time, and (of course) paying them off at the first of each month. I go for the middle ground on travel hacking, not like the masters who spend lots of energy getting the really big bonanzas.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

Concerning purchasing Visa gift cards... I could do this in my 5% category say at Lowes or such when offered... I'm assuming sales tax is not charged on buying these? If there is, it negates any advantage for me in buying them.
No sales tax charged, only a service fee. The service fee is only ~$5.00 per $500. A penny a mile. But you get the bonus points, if any.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of credit cards, I just got a "invitation" to apply for an American Express Platinum card in the mail a few days ago. I thought the mailer said there was a $495 annual fee (but the web site said $450.) It listed about a page of "potential benefits", none of which I would probably ever use. It doesn't matter, it's in the trash now, but I got a good laugh.

I've had credit cards all my adult life and I have never paid any fees. (no annual fees or interest) Sorry but fee based credit cards are not for me. Guess I'm spoiled.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired debt free about 6 years ago, we pay cash or use a card I pay off each month. Having said that, last week I took out a line of credit on our brokerage account that I plan to use to buy a piece of property we'll close on in the next few days. Didn't plan to do this but will turn 59 1/2 in a few months and will use some funds from an IRA to pay it off. Found a river property only a few miles from here so we can fish and boat. Will post about it once we close.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I use my AmEx card at every place that accepts it, and of course we pay it off each month.

I hate using cash, because with the credit card Quicken will download all transactions for me, and even classifies them into categories like groceries, gas, etc..., though I still have to go in occasionally and reclassify some expenses. For example, gas for the motorhome would be in the travel expense and not lumped in with normal car driving, but it really minimizes my manual record keeping.

And then, we get good money back from AmEx every year. What's not to like?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Re negative interest rates: Until they put expiration dates on $100 bills (or 500 euro notes), you can always take the cash and put in an safe deposit box all be it that might cost $50/year. Anyway you can fit quite a few $100 bills in a safe deposit box.
That works until the Fed says, "We decided notes with serial numbers ending in digit (pick one) became worthless today."
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
That works until the Fed says, "We decided notes with serial numbers ending in digit (pick one) became worthless today."
That the crazy talking? Remember who just won the elections.

But I suppose that is why you need gold, GOLD, GOLD!!! Or better yet, ammo.

*sigh*

To this day, Dad knows exactly how much in hundred dollar bills will fit into a coffee can and a shoe box. I don't think it will be much fun to be his executor when that fateful day arrives. Lucky me. At least I will not have to argue with my siblings over his vintage revolver.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I use my AmEx card at every place that accepts it, ... For example, gas for the motorhome
If you used a Flying J/Pilot card (RV Plus) and had it on autopay, you would get, at least, 5˘ off the pump price.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 Unless there is a financing rebate to take advantage of, I pay for vehicles by check. If we reach an impasse in the price of a used car, I usually write out a check to the dealer for my final offer (including tax, transfer,etc.) and don't sign it - I hand it to them and tell them I will sign it if we have a deal for the car for that amount. I'm 2 of 3 so far using that approach.

When I was buying one car I told them I wanted to pay for it by check (no financing) and they seemed to not know what to do to process a non-financed transaction.
I have two relatively new cars, but I will use that unsigned-check-strategy the next time! I too have had difficulty explaining to some dealers that no financing was involved. I remember test-driving a Lexus, not having shaved in 4 days and wearing jeans and a T-shirt, and they kept asking if I was financing or leasing. I ultimately bought the car, but they seemingly could not get over the fact there was to be no financing.

Finally, I've noticed a not-surprising pattern in the other replies about usng credit cards....but paying in full each month.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote