Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I know it is extra weight that reduces fuel economy, but I carry a small floor jack for emergencies. Whenever I had to use the scissor jack, I was never on a surface that could be trusted with the forces involved.

I have never had to use the floor jack for my own car emergency, but I end up helping 1-2 other stranded people every year.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Cost of slime replacement can at the dealer is !$200!

Here's Why to Avoid Puncturing a Nissan LEAF Tire | PluginCars.com

Some ideas as to where to get it cheaper.

WOW... but, this just reminded me of my spare tire on my 87 Firebird Formula.... the tire was designed to fold in on itself so it was small and fit in a cubby hole on the side... but it did have a can to inflate the spare... so, I get a flat, inflate the spare and all is good to go... it is a 'full' sized tire, so you do not have to worry about the speed... but it is skinnier than the original... but not a big deal...

So, get tire fixed and go to the dealer to buy another can to inflate... IIRC, it was in the $150 range... SAY WHAT!!!!!!!!...

Decided to just buy a tire pump for $25.... it would take longer, but I could start the inflation before I got the wheel off and it was no big deal...

Sometimes dealers are really stupid.... but I bet they get enough people who do not know any better and make a killing on them....

Old 05-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
So, get tire fixed and go to the dealer to buy another can to inflate... IIRC, it was in the $150 range... SAY WHAT!!!!!!!!...

Decided to just buy a tire pump for $25.... it would take longer, but I could start the inflation before I got the wheel off and it was no big deal...

Sometimes dealers are really stupid.... but I bet they get enough people who do not know any better and make a killing on them....
Somebody at GM missed a great opportunity. That "special" spare should have had a "special" air valve that only fit the "special" $150 tire inflator can. Metric, left-hand threads on a stem a valve stem >slightly< bigger than standard.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

T-Al, that "ridge" is called a pinch-weld, and they are seen on the underside of unibody cars. As others have said, it is NOT ok to lift on the pinch-weld itself.

The structure of the unibody was designed to bear the weight of the car on each side of the pinch-weld in specific places, not ON it. The pinch-weld itself will help keep the jack's head centered on the lifting point, rather than sliding outward as the car is lifted up (as the car's side lifts in an arc, roughly centered on the wheels on the other side that remain on the ground).

You need a jack with a deeper throat. (awright... no snide comments about that previous sentence!)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:58 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On E- Bay 2011-15 Jack

2011 2015 Nissan Leaf Jack with Tools Lug Wrench | eBay

Donut spare 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Nissan Leaf Spare Tire Wheel Donut 16" Spare | eBay

This store just has jacks and donut spares. Not at all cheap, but a lot less than at the dealer I suspect.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I'll probably get this one on Amazon. I asked, and the notch is deep enough.

I asked about this on the MyNissanLeaf forum, but didn't get enough response.

I have free roadside assistance for three years, a tire plug kit, and I will never be further than 30 miles from home, but I don't like being without a spare.

Now I have to decide: Full-sized tire or toy spare tire (donut tire).