Join Early Retirement Today

Will we ever get rid of daylight savings time?
Old 11-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Will we ever get rid of daylight savings time?

I hate it. It's such a nuisance. Just pick an offset to GMT and stick with it.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DST is a minor irritant compared to the clothes poor people wear. Have they no fashion sense whatsoever?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #3

Fashion sense. I hate it. It's such a nuisance. Just pick an outfit and stick with it.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #4

Right after we switch to the metric system

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Right after we switch to the metric system

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
During my entire career in the US auto industry we used the metric system. I think we got faked.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #6

In the Midwest, the corn crop is significantly larger with the extra hour if daylight. Without that extra hour, it has been proven that the corn and soybean crops would be ~6.5% smaller, and could pose a potential food shortage, especially with animal feeds.

Cows also give more milk, and chickens lay an additional egg every two weeks, which in the long run, is very significant.

So, Daylight savings time is here to stay.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #7

I live in the Philippines and just realized that DST was now in effect when I discovered the market was not open yet (now we are 13 hours ahead of New York instead of 12 hours). Yes, I agree, DST is an antiquated system that causes all sorts of hidden economic losses and inconveniences. But I don't know of a movement to eliminate it. After all, we are still using pennies and a non-metric measurement system . . .
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do not want to eliminate daylight savings time... I want to make it permanent for the full year!
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
In the Midwest, the corn crop is significantly larger with the extra hour if daylight. Without that extra hour, it has been proven that the corn and soybean crops would be ~6.5% smaller, and could pose a potential food shortage, especially with animal feeds.

Cows also give more milk, and chickens lay an additional egg every two weeks, which in the long run, is very significant.

So, Daylight savings time is here to stay.
This is a joke right?
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'd like to see the end of DST. Arizona is just fine without it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
I do not want to eliminate daylight savings time... I want to make it permanent for the full year!
I wouldn't mind seeing it go into effect for the full year, as well. I suffer a bit from the sunlight deprivation disorder or whatever they call it. Our earliest sunset around here is 4:45 pm, from around November 30-December 13. I think I'd like 5:45 pm a bit better.

The downside of that, I guess, is having it be so dark in the morning. Personally, I don't mind that...when I'm up before the sun, it feels like I'm getting a good head start on the day. But a lot of people don't like going to work in the dark. I think I'd rather go to work in the dark, than come home in it, though.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I live in the Central time zone and would like more sunshine hours every day, not just in the "summer." If we can put a man on the moon why can't we do that?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
This is a joke right?
I certainly hope it is.

Of course without DST, I'd probably forget to change the batteries in my smoke detectors.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #14

First World Problems ... IMHO

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #15

Sometimes I'll go out to Ohio in June, and hit Cedar Point and Kings Island. I love being out in the western edge of the time zone that time of year. I think Kings Island waits until almost 10:00 to set off their fireworks. We're usually in line for the Beast, which I think is the longest wooden roller coaster in the world...or at least one of the longest. Awesome ride, in the dark!

Back at home in Maryland, it's usually fairly dark by 9:00 even on the longest days. So having the extra 45 mins of evening daylight is a nice treat.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
First World Problems ... IMHO
+1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg geml.jpg (165.8 KB, 39 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing it go into effect for the full year, as well. I suffer a bit from the sunlight deprivation disorder or whatever they call it. Our earliest sunset around here is 4:45 pm, from around November 30-December 13. I think I'd like 5:45 pm a bit better.

The downside of that, I guess, is having it be so dark in the morning. Personally, I don't mind that...when I'm up before the sun, it feels like I'm getting a good head start on the day. But a lot of people don't like going to work in the dark. I think I'd rather go to work in the dark, than come home in it, though.
+1
Change the clock year round! By by DST.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I live in the Philippines and just realized that DST was now in effect when I discovered the market was not open yet (now we are 13 hours ahead of New York instead of 12 hours).
Brings back memories of working for a global company. For the first couple of days people around the world would be early or late to US based video or teleconferences because of the time change. A real PITA..

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

At one time, the state nearest me had in essence three times zones. One region followed EST, another followed CST, and until 2006 the rest of the (mostly farm) state did not observe DST at all. Making travel plans was "interesting"...we had lots of meeting times/flights botched.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Another one of the nice things about living in Hawaii is no clocks to change......
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote