Join Early Retirement Today

Will you outlive your money?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Will you outlive your money?

"FUKUOKA, Aug. 13 (AP) - (Kyodo)—Yone Minagawa, who had been certified by Britain's Guinness World Records as the world's oldest person at age 114 earlier this year, died of old age Monday evening, informed sources said. "

Fukuoka woman certified as world's oldest person dies+

Looks like those of us who are worried about outliving our money don't need to be concerned about living past 114. So, if you retire at 54 and want to take the conservative approach, a 60 year horizon should be just fine.

JUST KIDDING!! I'm pretty cautious but even I am not that conservative!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i'm don't know that i'd ever want to be that old. as long as i have the physical ability & mental wherewithal to spend my last $20 bill on a saturday night special and keep some change in my pocket, i will not be outliving my money at any age.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
as long as i have the physical ability & mental wherewithal to spend my last $20 bill on a saturday night special and keep some change in my pocket, i will not be outliving my money at any age.
I would rather be old, broke, suffering, and alive, than dead. At least if I'm alive, that is something - - rather than nothingness.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #4

I don't think DFAS (mil pension) or the State of NJ treasury would appreciate my living to 114. Unless I am a great example of health, (physically and mentally able to enjoy life) I'd rather not be around at that age!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
I don't think DFAS (mil pension) or the State of NJ treasury would appreciate my living to 114. Unless I am a great example of health, I'd rather not be around at that age!
When I was 24, I said I wouldn't want to live past 30. Somehow my viewpoint changed when I turned 30.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I would rather be old, broke, suffering, and alive, than dead. At least if I'm alive, that is something - - rather than nothingness.
I tenatively agree, though I'm really hoping to never be broke & suffering.

I'd say the suffering depends. I'd say my biggest suffering was monster cramps when I was younger (I'd regularly been found, passed out next to a toilet full of barf in high school, until it was agreed that I could stay home the 1st day of my period.) & if I had to deal with pain like that for the rest of my life, it might get a bit too much at some point.

hopefully, the rest of my life will be pretty pain-free.
Celany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I project my money pool will run pretty dry around age 90, but honestly my mother who will be 91 in October does not have much quality of life. In fact, the last 10 yrs have been very challenging for her. Now at age 60, given the family history of long life & poor health, I can say that I don't want to live to 90 (much less 100+). However, I figure that I'll change my mind when I am 79 or 80.

Quality of life is relative, but I definitely don't want to be broke and suffering.
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
given alzheimer's or nothingness, i'll take nothing every time.

about all that nothingness: you're just guessing; you don't know. the only thing known in that statement is the ravages of old age. i'd rather take my chances with the unknown than keep my money for that sure thing.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 08-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #9

Hmmm. Will I outlive my money...hope so!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:50 AM   #10

----

I'm with Lazygood - My grandmother lived for 14 years in a nursing home with Alzheimer's. I'll pass. I'd rather be out of my misery.
kaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
I plan to live forever
Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan to live forever

though I know I am not, so I will go wealthy. I prefer dollars in my account to junk in the closet and garage. In fact I will have to come up with new spending plans as I age.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
given alzheimer's or nothingness, i'll take nothing every time.

about all that nothingness: you're just guessing; you don't know. the only thing known in that statement is the ravages of old age. i'd rather take my chances with the unknown than keep my money for that sure thing.
Yeah , but it's a pretty good guess...
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:48 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I suspect that many on this board will not outlive thier money since it funds their retirement and they intend to only withdraw a small % each year.

On the other hand, if one only have a small nest egg and wind up with lingering health problems (like Alzhiemers or Parkinsons), the health and personal assistance expenses could break them.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Yeah , but it's a pretty good guess...
when you don't know then i don't know how you would be able to judge how close is your guess to what you don't know. would that be a leap of faith? well what da ya know!