Will you Stoop to Pick up a Penny?

What amount does it take to get you to bend over to pick up money?

• A penny will do...

Votes: 88 69.3%
  • A nickel, if no one is looking.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • A dime, I have some standards.

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • A quarter, it's sparkly!

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Has to be paper money, at least a buck!

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I'm loaded, let someone who needs it pick it up!

Votes: 6 4.7%

• Total voters
Always, my father taught me to respect money.

Sure, I'll pick a penny - it is still money. I even pick golf tees that golfers forgetfully leave at the tee box and I go crazily happy when I find a lost golf ball.

I stoop and pick up pennies happily. Each one thows off $0.0004 annual income.

I've always been one to pick up coins, probably comes from having parents who talked about growing up in the Depression.

A few years ago I was coming out of the Post Office and walking to my car. A man was between my car and another car and he was holding a bill and asked me if I had dropped a $20. I knew that I only had $5's on me so I said, "No, not mine", got in my car and drove away. The thought occurred to me that I could have told a little white lie and come home with an extra $20. But the whole scene was just a little creepy, the way he stood between the cars and I think maybe he was setting up an opportunity for a purse snatching/mugging/kidnapping and subsequent horrors.

Not to mention that the penny or nickel you picked up could prevent you from breaking a $20 bill.

I pick up pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, stray dogs, cats, and women :cool: ...

Of course - I believe they are good luck (heads up or not)...well at least it seems to be working! ;)

Ditto to golf balls & tees (but not with the same "good luck" enthusiasm - then I am just being frugal!)

Up until a few years ago I always stopped to pick up a penny. Now, it's too painful to bend down that far(i'm 6'6") for just a penny.

I'll pickup any coin. Put them in containers, along with pocket coins, and when full, drop off at local charities.

One of the places DW volunteers is a NFP that helps young expecting mothers with no resources. The hand out plastic containers shaped like baby bottles and ask for spare change as well. They don't mind pennies either.

There are usually a lot of coins and bills in the movie theaters. Fall out of people's pockets when they sit down, and in the dark and noisy theaters, no one seems to notice when something hits the floor, etc. I worked in a movie theater when I was a freshman in college; I kept my eyes on the floor most of the time; found lots of money this way!

I'll pickup any coin. Put them in containers, along with pocket coins, and when full, drop off at local charities.

Wow. I figure that poor people can look for their own coins, redeemable cans and other flotsam and jetsam that can be turned into cash. They have even more free time than I do.

However, picking up coins is easy for me as I have been told that I am a knuckle dragger.

Ha

I just happened to pick up a penny in a parking lot yesterday. It does depend on the shape of the penny -- if it's yucky, than no, otherwise, yes.

I think I do that to reinforce the habit of a penny saved (that is, found) is a penny earned. I know a penny here or there isn't going to really change my net worth any, but it's about the habit.

Sounds a bit irrational? I compare that to driving in the middle of the night when no cars are around. When I make a turn, I still signal knowing no cops are other cars are around. Once again...to practice good habits.

Yeah, those prehensile thumbs on your feet probably help too, you Neanderthal! Just kidding!!!!:flowers::angel::LOL::whistle::ROFLMAO::blush:

However, picking up coins is easy for me as I have been told that I am a knuckle dragger.

Ha

Wow. I figure that poor people can look for their own coins, redeemable cans and other flotsam and jetsam that can be turned into cash. They have even more free time than I do.

Ha
I'm quite sure those in need do look, and probably do a better job than I. But since we hang out in different areas I have less competition and more opportunity. It just a little effort but may mean much more to someone else - and it doesn't replace any of our efforts at contributing to the less fortunate.:)

Wouldn't occur to me not to pick up a penny if I saw it....those Depression era parents really influenced me I guess...

I must not have as good an eyesight as ya'all. I don't often spot money on the ground.

I will admit to skipping pick-ups at times, perhaps more often than not. There are places where I really want to be upright and looking around, not bending over looking for pennies. On a busy sidewalk I think if there is money there, there could be a reason. And it really isn't worth much for me to find out what the reason might be.

Ha

I would think a popular happy hour bar, frequented by what we used to call Yuppies, would be an excellent hunting ground for dropped coins and cash. :D

There are places where I really want to be upright and looking around, not bending over looking for pennies.
Ha, you hang out in strange places. Been to (or in) jail recently? :D

Ha, you hang out in strange places. Been to (or in) jail recently? :D
Not about getting humped, about getting mugged.

For similar reasons I do not walk around with ear buds, ar a phone plastered to my ear. I don't live in Palm Beach, or Grosse Point, or Bel Aire. Though I think I could easily get used to most of these. :)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom