Join Early Retirement Today

Willie Nelson still doing it his way
Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Willie Nelson still doing it his way

Looks like Willie's finally going to get some much needed rest. I can't believe he's 77 yrs old! And still a pothead....lol

Willie Nelson Will Likely Go to Jail for Pot Bust, Expert Says - FoxNews.com
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Let the "Free Willie" protests begin...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Administrator

My first thought was he admitted to the possession to keep everyone else out of trouble. Jail for 6 ounces...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's rough. Sounds like his career has gone up in smoke.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Administrator

I doubt his bus travels as the only car in the entourage. I wonder why he does not just stash his goodies in another car and offload the risk (for a price) or just arrange to get what he needs at each stop.

Have you heard this:
Quote:
29. HE SMOKED POT ON THE ROOF OF THE WHITE HOUSE.
He played a concert there in 1978, then accepted President Jimmy Carter’s invitation to stay the night. Before turning in, he wandered up to the roof to enjoy “a fat Austin torpedo.” When Blender mentions the incident, he pleads, “My short-term memory is so bad I don’t remember that. I’ll check with Jimmy, see if he remembers.”

33 Things You Should Know About Willie Nelson - Blender
Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Let the "Free Willie" protests begin...
Sounds like a pot sticker to me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Administrator

Willie Nelson is a giant in the performing artist world and has an astonishing depth of talent. I've had the pleasure of occasionally crossing paths with him and frankly find it sad that the border patrol can't find something more productive to do than hassle an aging musician. OTOH, he lives by his own set of rules - unfortunately they don't seem to agree with those in Texas. We all make our own choices..
Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #8

JMHO, but I'd be shocked if Willie does any time. Even though they busted him (again) Willies well thought of down here in Texas. I'll believe it when I see it...it would be like turning the Alamo into a Motel 6. Willie's a Texas icon!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Expert Says - FoxNews.com
Seems kinda oxymoronic to me...

Nelson managed to work out his little tax problems with the IRS sans jail time. I think it'd be a little easier to deal on six ounces.

This doesn't seem to be a situation that the DEA and the War on Drugs want to turn into the poster child for pot martyrdom. How much jail time did Paris Hilton & Lindsay Lohan get for their drug crimes?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Note that it was the feds (Border Patrol), not TX law enforcement, responsible for the bust.

That said, the sticking point on "finding appropriate justice" regarding Willie is the fact this is his third pot bust and potential conviction. Difficult to keep turning a blind eye. By contrast he's only been caught cheating on his taxes once...
Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
By contrast he's only been caught cheating on his taxes once...
But it was always on his mind....
Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That said, the sticking point on "finding appropriate justice" regarding Willie is the fact this is his third pot bust and potential conviction. Difficult to keep turning a blind eye. By contrast he's only been caught cheating on his taxes once...
I heard he was smoking that stuff medicinally. As a cure for sobriety.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #13

I like Willie's music, however, I will not shed a tear if they throw him in the can. Drugs are illegal. You pay your money and take you chances. In this case he lost, and just like anyone else should pay the consequences.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
But it was always on his mind....

Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I like Willie's music, however, I will not shed a tear if they throw him in the can. Drugs are illegal. You pay your money and take you chances. In this case he lost, and just like anyone else should pay the consequences.

Not saying he shouldn't or won't be tossed in the pokey, but I'll be surprised if it happens.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After takin' several readings,
I'm surprised to find my mind`s still fairly sound.
But not sound enough to take his own advice.

Quote:
Almost busted in Laredo,
But for reasons that I'd rather not disclose,
But if you're stayin' in a motel there and leave,
Just don't leave nothin' in your clothes.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I feel much safer now.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I feel much safer now.
Right, thank you Border Patrol. This must be a lot safer than messin' with cartel members too.

Idiots.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #19

Willie Nelson smokes pot? Who knew?

This is kinda like the FBI spending money on busting The Circuit which is a bunch of Madams that ship girls from city to city to work, listening to wiretaps and bugging brothels during 9/11. Boy! Did the FBI ever get a fanny chewing from that one. If it hadn't been during 9/11, it would have been more amusing.

(I say "Free Willie".....we got terrorists here that are a bigger issue and better way to spend taxpayer's money.)
Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post

I wonder why the gubment didn't throw old Joe Kennedy in the pokey when he was making and selling hooch during the Depression then...and don't say they didn't know it. And then America goes on to "revere" those Kennedys....good grief...double standard.