Join Early Retirement Today

Wimbledon 5 hrs. 2 min.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wimbledon 5 hrs. 2 min.

Watched it all, but jeanie fell asleep during the tiebreaker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.a3efd1e91bc1

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First championship 12-12 tiebreaker ever, that was a match for the ages.

GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #3

Wow, I didn't realize Djokovic has 16 Grand Slam titles now. I knew he had a few, but I didn't know it was that many. They might still be playing if they didn't introduce that 12-12 tiebreaker, like the match last year.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

[QUOTE=imoldernu;2266717]Watched it all, but jeanie fell asleep during the tiebreaker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.a3efd1e91bc1[/QUOT

Which tiebreaker? there were three of them. a great match. Fed had a break at 8-7 in the fifth but could not hold serve.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Which tiebreaker? there were three of them. a great match. Fed had a break at 8-7 in the fifth but could not hold serve.
Not only he had an 8-7 in games but 40-15 lead and could not finish it. Too bad because I was rooting for him all the way.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
First championship 12-12 tiebreaker ever, that was a match for the ages.
Even with that 12-12 limit it still broke the record for the longest ever menís singles final at Wimbledon.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Because they didn’t want another ELEVEN HOUR THREE DAY 2010 h3ll of a tourney. Was fantastic final��������������������
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #8

In my mind Federer outplayed Djokovic and the stats show that. He had more points won, more aces, more winners, more breaks but Djokovic was clutch in the three tiebreakers. It was a great final....
Old 07-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #9

DH thinks the crowd was on Federer's side more than DJokovic. He said crowd always for Federer, he's the favorite. I disagree. After match, it didn't even look like they were sweating. They both look cool, calm and collected. Love both of them and hope they keep playing.. U.S. Open next month, can't wait. Historical match.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #10

Glad I was at gr-daughter's softball tourney instead.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Not only he had an 8-7 in games but 40-15 lead and could not finish it. Too bad because I was rooting for him all the way.
Me too. I was thinking during the match if Federer won, that would be a good one to retire on. Of course the inevitable question.....'what are you going to do all day' would be asked by the media.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Great match - I was rooting for the older guy though :-)
rpguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Me too. I was thinking during the match if Federer won, that would be a good one to retire on. Of course the inevitable question.....'what are you going to do all day' would be asked by the media.
Plus by a few people on this site....
Old 07-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Glad I was at gr-daughter's softball tourney instead.
Thanks for your input. Very informative......
Old 07-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I had forgot all about it and when I tuned in it was 6-6 in the 5th. Very good match... I thought Djokovic was toast on that double championship point and when he went down a break. I had seen him play in the quarters at the U.S. Open some years ago so was sort of rooting for him even though I like Federer as well. Good for tennis.... hoping to get dow to the U.S. Open.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:02 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I couldnt think of a worse way to blow 5 hours. I caught the 13 minutes of highlights on youtube..basically summed up what I needed to see.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I couldnt think of a worse way to blow 5 hours. I caught the 13 minutes of highlights on youtube..basically summed up what I needed to see.
If one is into tennis, then it is enjoyable. Some folks feel the same way about 5 hours of golf.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:16 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
If one is into tennis, then it is enjoyable. Some folks feel the same way about 5 hours of golf.
Oh I agree. I love golf, but sitting down and watching 5 hours of it...no thanks. I can barely stand to play a round of golf that takes 5 hours. I like to keep it around 3.5...which is mostly the reason why I rarely play anymore. Too many hackers that take too long to hit a single shot. Whether you suck or you're good, get up and hit the ball. When I see people taking forever, it makes me think of the quote "hold on, let me overthink this."
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I agree. If your not into tennis it's very difficult to watch 5 hours of any match. I watched every point and enjoyed it very much but I've been a tennis player for a very long time and continue to play twice a week.

I play golf occasionally but would not watch it on TV for more than 15 minutes.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

The Wimbledon final was great and an epic match but the Cricket World Cup Final which was played at the same time as the Wimbledon men's final was even more exciting and epic with so many twists and turns.

In the end, a poor result in the cricket as the umpires applied the rules incorrectly resulting in a draw when NZ should have won.
You would think in a World Cup final the umpires would know the rules of the game.

Aus_E_Expat is offline   Reply With Quote