Join Early Retirement Today

Win 10 restarts
Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Win 10 restarts

I want to find out if something is happening to my computer or is this happening to everybody...

I have Win 10... my computer has been rebooting a LOT these past two weeks... probably 10 to 15 times... twice yesterday and once today..

Getting a bit upset as it seems every day I come to a computer with all the programs closed and me having to open everything that I was doing again... and I am bad that I do not always save my work if I walk away...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Have 3 win 10s. No reboots as you describe.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Mine only reboots after one of those obtrusive updates. Other than that, it is silent.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Mine only reboots after one of those obtrusive updates. Other than that, it is silent.
Same here.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #5

I had an update today that had two restarts, but it seemed to update and be done.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you checked the windows update log files?
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html Hopefully there's something useful there if it's having update problems.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I want to find out if something is happening to my computer or is this happening to everybody...

I have Win 10... my computer has been rebooting a LOT these past two weeks... probably 10 to 15 times... twice yesterday and once today..

Getting a bit upset as it seems every day I come to a computer with all the programs closed and me having to open everything that I was doing again... and I am bad that I do not always save my work if I walk away...
On my newer PCs there is a diagnostics program that you can access during bootup.

I would run the extended hard drive test to see if you may have a failing hard drive.

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I’ve had a lot of restarts recently in addition to the daily virus definition updates. I have Windows in a VM so it’s less disruptive, but they happen.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Same here, although they have been happening more frequently in the last few weeks, like every few days instead of once a week tops.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Have you checked the windows update log files?
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html Hopefully there's something useful there if it's having update problems.

Thanks for the link... downloading an app to see what I can see....

BUT, never thought about it doing updates multiple times when I an gone... so far today it has updated 13 times... yesterday 11...

Well, the app does not seem to work or I am doing it wrong... will keep trying...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Go to your settings for windows update and see what has updated, or failed updating.

I suspect its a failed update that keeps trying to update.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Go to your settings for windows update and see what has updated, or failed updating.

Be careful: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev.../#17212be44f6f
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It has been my experience that a failing fan is quite often the cause of reboots. When the machine exceeds a certain temperature, it will shut down. It will quickly cool down below that temperature and , if you have the computer set to restart, it will reboot. Not true in every case but a cause that doesn't spring to mind when frustration sets in.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

If this is the problem, you can download and run the update troubleshooter/repair tool.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...troubleshooter
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #15

This is very common, and there have been several updates in the past few weeks. Mine rebooted twice during the night. Win10 reboots are broadcast far less obviously then their predecessors (you can rarely delay, and don't get big "do you wan to now or later?" type messages so often).

When you go to put your PC on sleep or something, you'll see normally 3 options: sleep, shutdown, restart.

When an update is ready, it will add "update and restart" and Update and shutdown". if you miss those, it might just update anyway.

Either way, it's normal, and you need to adjust.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Win 10 .

I've had couple of updates the past couple of weeks.

I run scheduled backups around 5 am to 7 am and sometimes run stuff middle of night so have my Win 10 update window set for in the late afternoon. Usually, I'm on the computer at the time, but when I get asked if I wish to update now, say yes, and let the update happen.

Updates to have a mind of it's own as there's been times I had the PC on sleep or hibernate, but PC woke up anyhow as looked like was time for an update.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

Either way, it's normal, and you need to adjust.
I know it's not for everyone, but these stories of computers rebooting w/o operator intervention make me glad I discovered Linux.

I have complete control over the update process. I sometimes don't reboot for a month at a time, just sleep it when I want.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I know it's not for everyone, but these stories of computers rebooting w/o operator intervention make me glad I discovered Linux.

I have complete control over the update process. I sometimes don't reboot for a month at a time, just sleep it when I want.

-ERD50
I have more than one computer. No need to limit myself to just one. When I do my taxes (use software on my desktop) and update my garmin GPS, I use a Win machine.

On the other hand, I prefer to run a linux program for a task like recording audio, video on computer.

For me, doesn't have to be either or. In other words, no need to limit myself to just one power drill when a couple will work better. The right tool for the job.

My main computer is Win due to familiarity. But I do like the feeling of no updates, ready or not on the linux side.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my former co-workers had sent out this link about a specific problem with Windows Update 1809 a few months ago. However, the article details several options on how to delay specific Windows updates if you don't like being in the first group to receive them.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...s-big-upgrade/
rpguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The one thing that fixes most problems is an OS reinstall. Windows Media Creation tool website will create an ISO you can use for a clean reinstall.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote