Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Window Frames and Mold
Old 02-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Window Frames and Mold

Our windows + metal window frames need some work. There is/was mold on the windows and on the frames.(This was brought to our attention by a relative, by a handyman and a by a painter (three different people). The painter has already scraped off the mold (hopefully).He also suggested that we do some more work on the windows and on the sliding metal window frames.This would include, more cleaning, scraping, putting on metal primer and re-painting with metal paint (or something like that). He says that this should keep the mold off for about three years. (Then, we can do it all over again).

We have ten windows that would need to be done. Five of the windows are about nine feet long and three feet high.They each have two sliding windows on each end and one larger window in the middle.The remaining windows also slide but are not as large.

The painter says it will take two days to complete and will cost $1400. Since I have a long and distinguished record of not dealing well with service people as it pertains to the house, I thought it might be a good idea to check in for your thoughts on this window project.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #2

Is this is on the exterior ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Is this is on the exterior ?
No, it's inside the house. I'm not sure what's going on outside the house. It was never discussed.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #4

Is this just surface mold? (since the surfaces are metal and glass, I would suspect it is).
It sounds like wiping them down with a diluted bleach solution would do the trick if that's the case. $1400 is way to much for that.

I mentioned in the bathroom remodel thread that we had a mold issue under our old bathroom window. It wasn't the window/frame, though - it was a leak that allowed water into the framing. We had to treat with bleach... and just to be safe, replaced a few of the worst 2x4's framing under the window.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
No, it's inside the house. I'm not sure what's going on outside the house. It was never discussed.
I'd suggest finding the root cause of the mold and eliminating that, before investing $1400 (which sounds high) on an clean-up that may simply be a cover-up.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #6

You might look at replacement windows. With metal frames, I assume the windows might be older. The newer plastic windows do not transmit as much cold from outside which may be causing condensation. You can also get frames with an insulation break for even less cold transmission. The last house we had with metal windows also had issues with leaking (air infiltration). Just a thought that if you are going to spend that kind of money, it may be worth it to upgrade.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Also you can use products such as Wet and Forget. They kill the mold and will keep it off for quite some time. You would probably want to wipe it down first with a cleaner to get rid of the black/green grime, but the Wet and Forget will kill the mold. I've used it in a fogger in my attic (in SWFL), on my Trex deck in MD, on my exterior painted walls in FL, and on certain window frames in both locations. Works well, and so much cheaper than your process it's practically free. If you don't want to do it yourself, hire a guy for a hundred dollars to apply it. Easy peasy.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree that before you proceed you need to ascertain the cause of the mold and address that.... otherwise you'll be re-doing this every few years. My guess is that you have some ventilation/moisture issues that need to be addressed.

Have you tried just cleaning them up with one of the many mold products out there. We had some mold in our bathroom ceiling from an inadequate bathroom fan and I made a homemade concoction of bleach, water and a little detergent and sprayed it on the mold, let it sit for 10-15 minutes and wiped it off with a wet rag, rinsed and then wiped it off with a wet rag a second time and it has seemed to do the trick. I'm sure I'll have to do it every six months or so until I can get the bathroom fan situation addressed (hopefully this summer).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote