Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

So far, so good. It seems to work and it is kind of slick. I went through the available information about tightening up Windows 10 security and privacy, and did all I could. Then I went through all the settings to see what was there, and that was fun. There are a lot of settings to evaluate and adjust.

I have installed essentially all of my software, set up the default file associations the way I prefer, and so on. So far, so good, so I guess it is time to bring in my backed up material now.

Basically, I am having a ball.
This version seems to have increased the volume of info going to M$ although rumors of windows "phoning home" go back to Win98. Here's a link that covers a lot of things to check in one collection. 30 Ways Your Windows 10 Computer Phones Home to Microsoft

I upgraded a couple of PCs, nothing unusual the upgrade worked. I spent a good bit of time getting rid of unwanted "features". I imagine someone will post a tool before long to clean all of this, I see some have already created a script to handle some of it. Here's link for it Want Windows 10 to stop tracking you? Now there's an app for that | ZDNet

Just experimenting I installed an old version of Office97, seems to work fine .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

I installed win 10 yesterday and it might have goofed up in install. I can't get settings to open, it just kind of flashes. Anyone know or can look up the address on the C drive where settings is ,so I can get to update and recovery, maybe I can open it there and uninstall and reinstall.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #183
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
This version seems to have increased the volume of info going to M$ although rumors of windows "phoning home" go back to Win98. Here's a link that covers a lot of things to check in one collection. 30 Ways Your Windows 10 Computer Phones Home to Microsoft

I upgraded a couple of PCs, nothing unusual the upgrade worked. I spent a good bit of time getting rid of unwanted "features".
Thanks for the link. I have been carefully going through all the links on this thread, and those I find elsewhere, to make sure I have checked everything. I'm glad to get all the links I can, because there is so much to address that conceivably the authors, and I, could accidently overlook something. So, I went through the article carefully and changed one setting that I had noticed before but hadn't fully understood. It was the one about storing media licenses on my computer, which I see no reason to do. You're right, it does take a lot of time to go through everything carefully.

I really don't have anything to hide from Microsoft or anybody else, but I am old enough that I grew up back when personal privacy was sacrosanct and I'd like to maintain some.

Having a baby was bad enough, with 16 doctors and nurses in the delivery room....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I installed win 10 yesterday and it might have goofed up in install. I can't get settings to open, it just kind of flashes. Anyone know or can look up the address on the C drive where settings is ,so I can get to update and recovery, maybe I can open it there and uninstall and reinstall.
Please be careful... and know that going back means going back to the previous bare bones program, and you lose all of your files. The warning is there. I made the mistake of not reading it... thinking restore was the same as system restore where you just go back to a previous stable operation and keep all files. It's where I made my first mistake, which eventually screwed up the trip back to Windows 10 and bricked my computer.

If I'm wrong on this, someone correct me. My "upgrade"day was a disaster, and I was one of the .001percent who lost everything. It did get confusing.

Some good suggestions here:A tale of woe
Old 08-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
You press the WIN+R key combo, open the run dialog, then type

ms-settings:system

But this maybe one of the first bug fixes. Here's link to the MS fix page

Settings doesn’t launch, or launches the Store instead - Microsoft Community
Old 08-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

The 1st link on that page fixed my not being able to get to settings. Thanks so much!!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #187

A little off subject, but anyone think Google might be harvesting data that goes through their new home router Onhub?

Official Google Blog: Meet OnHub: a new router for a new way to Wi-Fi
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #188

Yeah why would you pay that much for a router, that requires signing in with a Google account.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I just watched 5.94 GB fill up my hidden $Windows.~BT folder. So excited.
I can't delete this folder.

Decided not to upgrade from 8.1 at this time.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #190
Moderator Emeritus

I have not installed WIN 10 on my laptop, however, it's there and now each time I start up, a rectangular reminder balloon pops up just above my system tray right side reminding me that I can upgrade and it's ready.

How do you get that reminder to stop appearing? I suppose I can uninstall the update that gave me the WIN 10 files, but I'd rather just get rid of that reminder for now.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #191
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I had the same situation and did this: https://techjourney.net/cancel-windo...e-reservation/

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #192
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I had the same situation and did this: https://techjourney.net/cancel-windo...e-reservation/
Thanks, but I really don't want to remove the entire update that was sent down (the 5 GB folder) as I may want to install Win 10 later. The pop up is annoying and that is what I want to stop showing up each time I start the laptop. I would think there is a way to do that, even if it is a registry edit, but I have not been able to find that solution.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thanks, but I really don't want to remove the entire update that was sent down (the 5 GB folder) as I may want to install Win 10 later. The pop up is annoying and that is what I want to stop showing up each time I start the laptop. I would think there is a way to do that, even if it is a registry edit, but I have not been able to find that solution.
If have already reserved your windows 10, you can just download the media, burn to DVD, and install/upgrade when you choose.

You basically are looking to stop the GWX.exe process. There are several ways, this link show the registry edit, Disabling the Windows 10 Upgrade Notification | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows
Old 08-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
If have already reserved your windows 10, you can just download the media, burn to DVD, and install/upgrade when you choose.

You basically are looking to stop the GWX.exe process. There are several ways, this link show the registry edit, Disabling the Windows 10 Upgrade Notification | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows
Thanks, I'll do both.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #195
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After more than 2 weeks (and 1 week for DW), still almost no problems with Windows 10 here. The only issue, the Mail simply won't open for me 90% of the time, it has worked a couple of times. I reinstalled Windows Essentials 2012, but that didn't help. I also ran a Windows PowerShell command prompt entry that was supposed to help, didn't work either.

I am sure it'll get fixed eventually...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #196

Well it's been 3+weeks since I upgraded and very few problems. Most were configuration issues and a few took a while to get set like I wanted. Anyway, a few days ago, I had everything set and working just I wanted. I made sure I had all the latest updates/patches etc and then did a complete systems image backup to an external hard disk. Also make a DVD recovery disk so if things "crap out" (an advanced technical term) with my load in the future, then hopefully I can get back to where I am today. That along with incremental personal file backups and I hope I'll be in good shape for a full OS/load and file restore if ever needed. (It worked well for me with W7, which I had to reload a few times.)
Old 08-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #197
Full time employment: Posting here.

AJ8888...The Win 10 icon kept bothering me also. I went to the bottom toolbar and opened the little triangle that says, "Show Hidden Icons". Opened it up and changed the GWX to "Hide Icons and Notifications". It has stopped bothering me so far.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
AJ8888...The Win 10 icon kept bothering me also. I went to the bottom toolbar and opened the little triangle that says, "Show Hidden Icons". Opened it up and changed the GWX to "Hide Icons and Notifications". It has stopped bothering me so far.
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #199

Last week I started downloading some updates to Windows 8.1. After a few minutes I look up at the screen to check progress. It says: Your copy of Windows 10 is being downloaded. Please wait." I did not do anything to instruct that so I hit "Stop" then rebooted. A second try at the Windows 8.1 updates got me the same thing. I decided to just go with it to avoid a truncated or fragmented install and any problems that might have caused.

So far everythang is everthang. It seems to work OK. There is an issue with personalizing the size of specific fonts but I just chalk that up to "stupid effing Microsoft as usual" crap. It will likely get a patch sooner or later
Old 08-25-2015, 05:39 AM   #200
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Last week I started downloading some updates to Windows 8.1. After a few minutes I look up at the screen to check progress. It says: Your copy of Windows 10 is being downloaded. Please wait." I did not do anything to instruct that so I hit "Stop" then rebooted. A second try at the Windows 8.1 updates got me the same thing. I decided to just go with it to avoid a truncated or fragmented install and any problems that might have caused.

So far everythang is everthang. It seems to work OK. There is an issue with personalizing the size of specific fonts but I just chalk that up to "stupid effing Microsoft as usual" crap. It will likely get a patch sooner or later
That's what happened to me, too. I did not intend to upgrade till later on. But it loaded beyond my control. I felt hoodwinked. I messed with Win 10, and went back to Win 7.