Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
That's what happened to me, too. I did not intend to upgrade till later on. But it loaded beyond my control. I felt hoodwinked. I messed with Win 10, and went back to Win 7.
That's what hacked me off the most. Win 10 actually works and so far I have no problems with it. I just didn't like their -mugged in the alley- way of installing it. In fact as soon as I had installed it and checked it out I went out and bought a big flash drive. My intention was to start working off of LINUX just because MS is not the company I wish to keep. So far though, Win 10 is behaving so well I haven't done anything with LINUX yet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
That's what hacked me off the most. Win 10 actually works and so far I have no problems with it. I just didn't like their -mugged in the alley- way of installing it. In fact as soon as I had installed it and checked it out I went out and bought a big flash drive. My intention was to start working off of LINUX just because MS is not the company I wish to keep. So far though, Win 10 is behaving so well I haven't done anything with LINUX yet.
When I first got that get ready for update thing on my system tray on Win 7, I went ahead and uninstalled the update for the very reason of not wanting to do an automatic update then start up and surprise, surprise, now the pc is on Win 10.

I'm still on Win 7. Eventually, I'll probably go to Win 10 (just have too many things running under Win) for my desktop.

But over the past several days, I've been playing around with Linux Mint on my laptop and over all, I really like that . My testing is kinda crazy now as this very moment on the laptop, I'm running Linux Mint, then with that running a virtual machine to install another copy of Linux Mint. I need more physical computers to test with .

Old 08-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #203
Full time employment: Posting here.

They sent me the disks but I am still not going to upgrade. I like my Win 7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Win 10.jpg (53.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
They sent me the disks but I am still not going to upgrade. I like my Win 7.
Haha. Disk 1 of 2079. That's a good one.

I want to know, did they also include the trial disk for AOL?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Haha. Disk 1 of 2079. That's a good one.

I want to know, did they also include the trial disk for AOL?
There should also be a set of DOS 3.1 disks to load first.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #206
Give me a forum ...

I still don't regret installing Windows 10 at all. But a possible downside, it seems there are annoyingly lengthy updates several times/week (compared to Apple IME). And I've had to pretty much had to do each one as they come, as mysteriously? my internet connection often doesn't work when there's a Win10 update pending, but works fine after. I am sure each revision is better than the last though.

So if you're on the fence on upgrade timing, something to consider.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I still don't regret installing Windows 10 at all. But a possible downside, it seems there are annoyingly lengthy updates several times/week (compared to Apple IME). And I've had to pretty much had to do each one as they come, as mysteriously? my internet connection often doesn't work when there's a Win10 update pending, but works fine after. I am sure each revision is better than the last though.

So if you're on the fence on upgrade timing, something to consider.
Yes, I figure one reason for the frequent updates is they have a bunch of problems to solve at the moment. That's why I was going to wait 11 1/2 months to install my copy. But their shanghai methods sort of forced me to take it early before they could identify and fix the bugs
Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #208

I wouldn't be so sure. I have Win 7 and recently my laptop began to suffer a serious performance decline. I traced it to the Windows automatic update, which suddenly was running daily, even though I selected the "no automatic updates" option. I disabled the program and the problem has gone away .. for now. Clearly, though, MS has changed something.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 12 days in on my upgrade to Win 10 and mostly all good for me so far.
A couple minor hick-ups is all.
I'm used to that with windows.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. I have Win 7 and recently my laptop began to suffer a serious performance decline. I traced it to the Windows automatic update, which suddenly was running daily, even though I selected the "no automatic updates" option. I disabled the program and the problem has gone away .. for now. Clearly, though, MS has changed something.
This article might enlighten -
The comments are also worth reading.

Quote:
Well, now new updates that are being deployed to all Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 machines will turn their computers into a big piece of spyware, just like their predecessor, Windows 10.
Updates Make Windows 7 and 8 Spy On You Like Windows 10
Old 08-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
This article might enlighten -
The comments are also worth reading.

Updates Make Windows 7 and 8 Spy On You Like Windows 10
IMO, Going through the stuff sent to Microsoft doesn't sound that scary. But the user agreement sounds invasive.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
IMO, Going through the stuff sent to Microsoft doesn't sound that scary. But the user agreement sounds invasive.
The rap against Microsoft as I understand it, is that when asked to clarify what data is being collected and why on some of these updates.....silence or a cryptic answer. In the absence of good information people will speculate.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #213
Moderator Emeritus

I'm three weeks into Win 10 on this machine and have turned off everything imaginable to thwart sending data/documents/etc back to MS. The way it seems to look and perform is exactly like my Win 7 OS.

The other two machines (DW's and my laptop) we use are staying pat on Win 7. I suspect we will set up one machine on Ubuntu for general internet use like Bill Pay, etc. The laptop is a good candidate for that seeing it only sees very limited use.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
The rap against Microsoft as I understand it, is that when asked to clarify what data is being collected and why on some of these updates.....silence or a cryptic answer. In the absence of good information people will speculate.
+1. Microsoft's cryptic answers would make Alan Greenspan confused
Old 08-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #215
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I both updated to WIN 10. Works great so far. Was fun putting the windows 10 on the win 7 computer. Had to search for a "fix". Found it at Microsoft's website. Needed some updated drivers. So far so good.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #216
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm getting these flags too on my win7 machine. But I am often on metered wifi in my RV and delay downloading any updates until I have a broadband connection. Or it will gobble up all of my mifi quota.

I hear that win10 installs all updates automatically. Is there no way to make it wait until I am on a broadband line?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

I hear that win10 installs all updates automatically. Is there no way to make it wait until I am on a broadband line?
You can change the properties of the connection to "metered" then W10 will notify and download later

How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

There are registry settings also for pro and enterprise versions
Old 08-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #218
Administrator

How exciting! After reading today's posts on this thread, I checked and I have two Windows 10 updates ready to install as soon as I re-start my computer. I was feeling left out because during almost two weeks of owning a new Windows 10 computer, I hadn't been aware of getting any updates at all yet.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #219

My update via Win 7 never worked properly. Had to clean install Win 7 and use the media creation tool to do the upgrade.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #220

I reserved win 10 and now have the install ready to go in my update Que, however I do not want to install it. Is there a way I can de-select it. I have win 7 updates to do but am unable to install them without win 10 installing also. Another gotcha from MS although partly my fault.