Windows 10

I hope rolling back to Win 7 went OK? I tried Win 10 and preferred 7 and rolled back. Win 7 will be be supported for 5 more years.
The installation never really started, so I didn't even have to roll back. I just got dumped back into Win7 because the Win10 installation wouldn't proceed. If Win 7 will be supported for 5 more years, I'm good to go. The laptop is already having issues, so I'm sure it won't last another 5 years.

Last week I spent about 6 hours trying to upgrade my 2013 Dell XPS13 laptop to W10, and then finally gave up.

I had the same experience--rebooting and was unable to install. I don't know how many times I went through the process of reinstalling. I finally had to delete files to make sure the system drive had enough available space. I made sure it had more avail space than the recommendation. I think for a 64 bit, you need at least 2 GB ram and 20 GB of HD space. I made sure I had more than the min and it finally installed. Try it. I definitely recommend Windows 10 and preferably with a Samsung SSD. Loads in 15 seconds. Make the original HHD as an external using USB 3 if your laptop or desktop has it. Buy a hard drive enclosure with USB 3. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and encouagement. I have 8gb of ram with a 256gb ssd that is half empty. I'll hunt for the offending Cypress TouchPad files and try installing again this weekend.

The ssd is great! Win7 loads in 12 seconds every time!

Last edited:
Someone mentioned RDP earlier. Windows 10 does it very well. No lagging whatsoever. I also recommend MS wireless adapter. I bring up streaming movies using KODI on my laptop and project it using the wireless adapter. SWEET! Very smooth.

To control all your devices, get a big rubber band or a lanyard and hang all your handheld controls on it around your neck. Better yet, get a Logitech Harmony. I use the Harmony Keyboard which I got at 50% discount and the Harmony mobile app to control everything including the laptop if I want to. You can also customize the keyboard buttons. I have a laptop, ps3, cctv, desktop, soundbar, roku along with the MS wireless adapter connected (works only on wireless 2.4 ghz from the laptop) to the LCD TV--all controlled by Harmony keyboard and the Harmony app. I love the setup.

Last edited:
Last week I spent about 6 hours trying to upgrade my 2013 Dell XPS13 laptop to W10, and then finally gave up.

I went to my account support at Dell and logged in. When I selected my current computer this message appeared at the top of the page:
Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.
See a list of tested products
It doesn't say there will be a problem, it seems to say that it is up to the owner to track down replacement drivers if they upgrade and have a problem, be they Microsoft or manufacturer. It provided the final nail in a upgrade to 10 for me. (I have a 2013 Inspiron M5040.)

Meanwhile Microsoft keeps massively updating my Windows 7 computer rendering my computer more and more unusable.

This is what I found on XPS's. I was logged in but I imagine the link above to tested products works without a login.

XPS Desktop

The table below lists Dell XPS desktop computers that have been tested for upgrade to Windows 10. If your computer model is not listed, Dell is not testing the device, drivers have not been updated for that model, and Dell does not recommended an upgrade to Windows 10. If you wish to proceed with an upgrade to Windows 10 on an untested system, Microsoft provides information and support for upgrade through their upgrade website.
Model
XPS 18 1810
XPS 18 1820
XPS 8700
XPS 2720 One

XPS Notebook

The table below lists Dell XPS notebook computers that have been tested for upgrade to Windows 10. If your computer model is not listed, Dell is not testing the device, drivers have not been updated for that model, and Dell does not recommended an upgrade to Windows 10. If you wish to proceed with an upgrade to Windows 10 on an untested system, Microsoft provides information and support for upgrade through their upgrade website.
Model
XPS Duo 11 (9P33)
XPS Duo 12 (L221x, 9Q23)
XPS 12 (9Q33)
XPS 13 L321X
XPS 13 L322X
XPS 13 9333 *
XPS 13 9343
XPS 14 (L421x)
XPS 15 (L521x)
XPS 15 9530
Computer models marked with a (*) are not supported for upgrade to Windows 10 if the current operating system is 32-bit. To determine your operating system version, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system"

Last edited:
So I used to love Dell, but not anymore. I had similar issues with weird incompatibilities in past years, working with devices, etc. They take standard components and drivers and tweak them just enough to be weird.

I have a 2013 Inspiron M5040.

Manufacturer doesn't recommend upgrade maybe because it's an AMD CPU with an Intel chipset. The upgrade allows you to revert back to Windows 7, I'm pretty sure. If you're not sure, create a backup image or use the backup disks they gave you if you still have them.

Upgrade and Windows 10 will tell whether it can complete the process or not. If it does, then you'd have to deal with drivers at that point. W10 device manager will tell you if you have any errors and hopefully it isn't a network driver so that you can at least access internet and find solution from there.

WRT Win 10, here's another privacy situation to look at if you're interested in trying to keep your personal data corralled - Sneaky Microsoft renamed its data slurper before sticking it back in Windows 10 • The Register

The data that DiagTrack collected was typical of a spyware programme. The only way you knew you were being monitored was by eyeballing the list of running processes in Task Manager. As Microsoft explained: Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage. Users thought it had disappeared in recent Windows 10 builds - but it hadn't. Microsoft had simply renamed it. The sinister-sounding tracking app was now the beatific and caring "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service". Once again, it needs to be disabled manually (this time through the Services control panel). "It is this kind of overriding desire for control and a disregard for user choices which is harming Windows 10,"
says Forbes journo Gordon Kelly, and he's right.
Also, since the topic drifted to Dell computers, here's one for you - After Lenovo now Dell PCs and Laptops are shipping with rogue root level CA » TechWorm

At least Dell admitted their problem - Dell apologizes for HTTPS certificate fiasco, provides removal tool | Ars Technica

I like it! Good marketing. "Threshold" doesn't mean anything, whereas "Service Pack" has come to mean "fixing a bunch of screw ups, while introducing many others." Somebody got a bonus for that one, I'm sure.

I forgot to mention that the next major huge update after TH2 is called "Redstone", and it is supposed to be a much bigger update than Threshold 2. I can't even imagine. :eek: It is scheduled for release in the summer of 2016.

Microsoft is sure making this journey an adventure!

I am so glad I am running Windows 10. It is working very nicely for me, despite my mild to moderate issues with changes in privacy and control (that not everyone shares anyway). It is absolutely fascinating to me to see what Microsoft will come up with next.

Ha...the solution. Microsoft had that problem hidden pretty good.

Maybe that's what MS wanted someone to find. Hard to find, but not impossible. What else is hidden deeper?

Last edited:
Well, they got me. I have been postponing an upgrade on my desktop because 7 is fine and I wanted to give 10 more time to mature. The other day they popped up a window asking me did I want to upgrade now or later. I made the mistake of saying later and found myself captured. It wasn't clear how to exit the loop they had me trapped in without then selecting now or a specific time within a couple of days. Since a "major" update was recently released I decided to go ahead. So far so good. The only problem I have experienced was accidentally flipping my display upside down when I clicked around display settings to reduce my desktop icon size.

A caution to anyone who wants to wait -- don't answer any questions about 10 that MS pops up in your lower right corner. :)

I did notice after the update that Fast Start was re-enabled on my PC. While the PC starts more quickly (saving about a minute), it takes longer to shut down. Also the number keypad numlock key is disabled when Fast Start is enabled.

I use the keypad a lot. The solution it to change the registry so it is always is on when booting up, or changing the Power setting so that Fast Start is unchecked. With it unchecked, I don't have to hit the NumLock key, and when I say shut down, it really does shut down right away.

A personal choice.

Rita

I upgraded last week. Overall I like it. But they broke one of the Microsoft Solitaire games in their app - Pyramid. It freezes the screen, theoretically fixes itself, but your game is still frozen. The app is updated to the win10 version - and has this bug... but didn't have the bug running the app in the win8 version on win8.1. Ah- progress.

Not a big deal in the larger scheme of things... but annoying.

I went ahead with the upgrade about a week ago and so far really like it. Seems clean and speedy.

I took the plunge and upgraded my new-ish Win 8.1 laptop to Win 10. So far so good.

I'll give it a few days to see how it all shakes out, and then, maybe, I'll upgrade my main computer, a desktop currently running Win 7. Or I'll hold off on that until tax season is over. :LOL:

Considering upgrading to Win 10 but I have 2 programs that I wonder if they will still function properly: StatTrak and Quicken 2011 Home and Business. When I google 'Windows 10 and Quicken 2011' I see a lot of trouble and non-printing issues. I'd love to keep current, but if it ain't broke .......... Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rich

Back
Top Bottom