Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I reserved win 10 and now have the install ready to go in my update Que, however I do not want to install it. Is there a way I can de-select it. I have win 7 updates to do but am unable to install them without win 10 installing also. Another gotcha from MS although partly my fault.
Can you right click the update in windows update and select hide the update?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Can you right click the update in windows update and select hide the update?
There is no win 10 update file in update Que only win 7. The win 10 install is just a window with a "lets get started button" which I am not going to hit.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #223

To remove the Windows 10 nagware icon from Windows 7 and remove telemetry collection from Windows 7:

Run as Administrator in command prompt:
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:2954664 /quiet /norestart
Old 09-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #224

50-nerds-of-grey.jpg
Old 09-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #225

I just passed the one month mark on Windows 10. I just looked at the HDD in my laptop the "old windows" folder is now empty. So far I like win 10 a lot; things run quite a bit faster. I have gone through the settings and turned off everything I can find that reports back to Microsoft.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #226

I found this site and used option #2. Seems to have solved my problem with updates to win 7. I did notice that the win 10 optional install did come back after I hid it. I will just have to check and hide it every time I do updates.

Prevent the Windows 10 upgrade from installing after making your reservation | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows
Old 11-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #227
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hello all... reviving this old thread. I'm thinking of accepting the Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 Pro and just wondering if it is worthwhile to do so. Is Win 10 beneficial? Any problems encountered? Thanks in advance.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #228
Full time employment: Posting here.

I upgraded yesterday and it went very smoothly. Windows 10 doesn't seem all that much different from Windows 7. I use RDP a lot and so I was concerned about that, but it worked perfectly. I'm planning to upgrade our other computers in the next week or two.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #229
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Hello all... reviving this old thread. I'm thinking of accepting the Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 Pro and just wondering if it is worthwhile to do so. Is Win 10 beneficial? Any problems encountered? Thanks in advance.
I like it a lot! It's faster, IMO, and very nicely done overall. I have had zero problems with it aside from a few privacy-related issues (that I discuss below). Basically it runs very smoothly and the user interface is so easy and nearly intuitive to me. It does do upgrades automatically so that is something to keep in mind if you don't like that. You can install the upgrades while you sleep, if you want but the downloads can be inconvenient. I usually stop everything and tell it to download and install the upgrade now, when that is possible. Otherwise my computer seems to get pretty hot with the fan running full blast. I don't know if other people have this happening or if it is just my computer.

Be sure to go through every single part of the "Settings" carefully, immediately after you upgrade. Many people strongly object to the default settings for privacy reasons. Even after tightening everything down, you will still be sending some minimal monitoring data to Microsoft.

In the agreements you have to approve before running Windows 10, you give away nearly everything but your first born child. But then, that seems to be more common than not these days.

The latest Windows 10 upgrade to TH2 last week, was MAJOR. It took almost 2 hours on my new i7, 12 GB RAM, thoroughly lightning fast computer with a fast internet connection. This upgrade was only done for those who had Windows 10 for over a month; others will get the upgrade later. Anyway, Microsoft (deliriously high with their new ability to control one's computer) decided to delete a few programs on peoples' computers without their knowledge or OK during the update process. Mostly these were programs I never heard of, or non-standard drivers, and most people didn't have anything deleted at all. However it uninstalled and deleted CCleaner from my computer and I was not happy about that. Since that was a freebie, I just downloaded it again and re-installed it. But still, the intrusion was disconcerting. I spent some time reading forums and articles confirming that this was what happened. I should have received a notification, but I had turned the notifications off (my bad).

Oh Brave New World.

I suppose that eventually Microsoft will stop supporting old versions of Windows, and we will all be running Windows 10 or another, non-Windows operating system.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #230

I've been on W10 since August 1 (almost 4 months now) and I've seen very few problems. The only time I've noticed any problems is with some of the automatic updates. A couple of the updates have reset some of my user configurable parameters. Just a PIA to go back and set them again.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #231
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I've been on W10 since August 1 (almost 4 months now) and I've seen very few problems. The only time I've noticed any problems is with some of the automatic updates. A couple of the updates have reset some of my user configurable parameters. Just a PIA to go back and set them again.
Oh, that happened to me too! I forgot to mention it. Every time it updates I go through the settings and sometimes find a few have been changed.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #232
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
However it uninstalled and deleted CCleaner from my computer and I was not happy about that.
Maybe they have changed this as I upgraded to W10 yesterday and it didn't touch ccleaner.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #233
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Maybe they have changed this as I upgraded to W10 yesterday and it didn't touch ccleaner.
No, I wouldn't have expected it to in your case. It's not upgrading to Windows 10 that does this - - it's the MAJOR "Threshold 2" (TH2) upgrade beyond the Windows 10 version that you now have, that does it. You won't get the TH2 upgrade for at least a month, because Microsoft is withholding it from users until they have had Windows 10 for at least a month. Since you just upgraded yesterday, I believe that right now you have the RTM version of Windows 10, "Release to Manufacturing". No problems at all with deleting software until the RTM version is upgraded to the TH2 version AFAIK.

According to Reddit, other forums, and articles available online, CCleaner was uninstalled and deleted for most during the TH2 upgrade.

It's not a big deal. It was just disconcerting to me, since I live alone and nobody else ever touches my computer, and since I had my notifications turned off so I had no idea where it went!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Thanks all. Good info. I'm still on the fence since I am happy with Win 7 for the most part.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #235
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks all. Good info. I'm still on the fence since I am happy with Win 7 for the most part.
You can always roll it back to Win 7 if you don't like Win 10, at least within the first 30 days I believe.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

I've been on Win10 since they offered the free upgrade months ago. I like it, and don't regret updating. But I welcome change and though Win8 was pretty bad (the dumbed down Metro apps were a big mistake IMO), Win8.1 wasn't all that bad IMO, though Win10 is noticeably better. Some of the haters were just resistant to change, and Win8 was the first big change in well over a decade.

I've had very few problems. I've noticed that when there is an update, you almost have to do it, though updates aren't always apparent. Some of my apps weren't working right, and I noticed if there was an update available and I completed it, all my apps worked right again. Happened several times, so it appears built in by Microsoft. I assume it's because they want all security fixes up to date, can't blame them for that.

Very recently the Start Menu button just quit working twice, but I fixed it by reloading Win10 the first time, and it just fixed itself today

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #237

Quote:
Me too. Win 7 works just fine on my 3 year old Pentium I3 Asus laptop. It loads quickly, never have a freeze up, all my programs work fine. I just dread the win 10 update and I'm debating simply getting a new laptop with win 10 or whatever is available when Microsoft stops safety updates for win 7 on January 2020.

Another option is I have been using Linux Mint on my old pentium D desktop and it works just fine there. I installed Linux when Microsoft stopped security updates for Windows XP. Maybe I'll just install Linux @ my laptop and get off the Microsoft carousel altogether.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #238
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Had that too, but found out if you "troubleshooting" (literally in command line) and run fix updates or something it will go away.

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No, I wouldn't have expected it to in your case. It's not upgrading to Windows 10 that does this - - it's the MAJOR "Threshold 2" (TH2) upgrade beyond the Windows 10 version that you now have, that does it.
I like it! Good marketing. "Threshold" doesn't mean anything, whereas "Service Pack" has come to mean "fixing a bunch of screw ups, while introducing many others." Somebody got a bonus for that one, I'm sure.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #240

Thanks for reviving this thread. I held off updating to Win10 because I used my computer for my FLL robotics team - and didn't want anything to risk the team's programs or project stuff. Now that the season is over, I can update.