Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #261
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I like it! Good marketing. "Threshold" doesn't mean anything, whereas "Service Pack" has come to mean "fixing a bunch of screw ups, while introducing many others." Somebody got a bonus for that one, I'm sure.
I forgot to mention that the next major huge update after TH2 is called "Redstone", and it is supposed to be a much bigger update than Threshold 2. I can't even imagine. It is scheduled for release in the summer of 2016.

Microsoft is sure making this journey an adventure!

I am so glad I am running Windows 10. It is working very nicely for me, despite my mild to moderate issues with changes in privacy and control (that not everyone shares anyway). It is absolutely fascinating to me to see what Microsoft will come up with next.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
WRT Win 10, here's another privacy situation to look at if you're interested in trying to keep your personal data corralled - Sneaky Microsoft renamed its data slurper before sticking it back in Windows 10 • The Register
Google search brought up how to disable this spying service:

How To Disable Microsoft's 'Spying' Service On Windows 10 | Lifehacker Australia

What vermin MS are.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #263
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Google search brought up how to disable this spying service:

How To Disable Microsoft's 'Spying' Service On Windows 10 | Lifehacker Australia

What vermin MS are.

How in the heck did someone figure that out?
Old 11-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #264
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
How in the heck did someone figure that out?
The problem? Or the solution?
Old 11-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #265
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The problem? Or the solution?
Ha...the solution. Microsoft had that problem hidden pretty good.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Ha...the solution. Microsoft had that problem hidden pretty good.
Maybe that's what MS wanted someone to find. Hard to find, but not impossible. What else is hidden deeper?
Old 11-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Maybe that's what MS wanted someone to find. Hard to find, but not impossible. What else is hidden deeper?
That is the first thing I wondered too.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:21 AM   #268
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, they got me. I have been postponing an upgrade on my desktop because 7 is fine and I wanted to give 10 more time to mature. The other day they popped up a window asking me did I want to upgrade now or later. I made the mistake of saying later and found myself captured. It wasn't clear how to exit the loop they had me trapped in without then selecting now or a specific time within a couple of days. Since a "major" update was recently released I decided to go ahead. So far so good. The only problem I have experienced was accidentally flipping my display upside down when I clicked around display settings to reduce my desktop icon size.

A caution to anyone who wants to wait -- don't answer any questions about 10 that MS pops up in your lower right corner.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

A caution to anyone who wants to wait -- don't answer any questions about 10 that MS pops up in your lower right corner.
Sorry about that. I deleted the "install Win 10" message prompt to avoid that happening to me. According to this you can still go back to 7. How to uninstall Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7 or 8 | PCWorld
Old 12-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #270

I did notice after the update that Fast Start was re-enabled on my PC. While the PC starts more quickly (saving about a minute), it takes longer to shut down. Also the number keypad numlock key is disabled when Fast Start is enabled.

I use the keypad a lot. The solution it to change the registry so it is always is on when booting up, or changing the Power setting so that Fast Start is unchecked. With it unchecked, I don't have to hit the NumLock key, and when I say shut down, it really does shut down right away.

A personal choice.

Rita
Old 12-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #271

I upgraded last week. Overall I like it. But they broke one of the Microsoft Solitaire games in their app - Pyramid. It freezes the screen, theoretically fixes itself, but your game is still frozen. The app is updated to the win10 version - and has this bug... but didn't have the bug running the app in the win8 version on win8.1. Ah- progress.

Not a big deal in the larger scheme of things... but annoying.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #272

I went ahead with the upgrade about a week ago and so far really like it. Seems clean and speedy.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #273
Recycles dryer sheets

I took the plunge and upgraded my new-ish Win 8.1 laptop to Win 10. So far so good.

I'll give it a few days to see how it all shakes out, and then, maybe, I'll upgrade my main computer, a desktop currently running Win 7. Or I'll hold off on that until tax season is over.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #274
Recycles dryer sheets

Considering upgrading to Win 10 but I have 2 programs that I wonder if they will still function properly: StatTrak and Quicken 2011 Home and Business. When I google 'Windows 10 and Quicken 2011' I see a lot of trouble and non-printing issues. I'd love to keep current, but if it ain't broke .......... Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rich
Old 01-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #275

Does anyone know if the new Turbotax works with XP?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #276
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Considering upgrading to Win 10 but I have 2 programs that I wonder if they will still function properly: StatTrak and Quicken 2011 Home and Business. When I google 'Windows 10 and Quicken 2011' I see a lot of trouble and non-printing issues. I'd love to keep current, but if it ain't broke .......... Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rich
Can't speak for Quicken 2011, but I tried my Quicken 2014 with Win 10 and it was not fully compatible. Online updates wouldn't work and after reading many tales of woe for older versions of Quicken and Win 10, it appears only Quicken 2016 is "guaranteed" to work with Win 10. I run Windows Quicken in a virtual machine on a Mac. I just went back to my Win 7 VM and will continue with Quicken 2014 until I'm forced to upgrade, or find an adequate alternative to Windows Quicken.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #277
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Does anyone know if the new Turbotax works with XP?
I downloaded it onto my computer that is running xp without any problems. Haven't used it yet.