Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Stillbirth.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
poor Windows 9, the forgotten child
I wonder if they were trying to break the sequence... 9 should have been good

98 , XP, 7, were good ( for wintendoze)
ME, Vista, 8 not so good
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #23

I downloaded the Windows 10 Insider Preview (x64) - Build 10130 and this is my first impression. I am running it in Virtualbox using Ubuntu.

Incredibly ugly. No transparencies, color gradients, 3d looks, colors, no borders on windows. Everything is flat and boring looking. The start menu is loaded with crap on the side that no one will use. Apps like Bing, News, Weather and Maps that are useless and annoying. Looks like made for 1992.

They should have just kept Windows 7 and updated it.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #24

For now, I have joined the technical preview program and am in the process of downloading the iso files and the product keys.

I have no immediate plans to use it, but I wanted to at least have the "Beta" installation media/keys read to go so that if in a few year, I have a sudden need for it I will be ready.

I will likely probably do something similar during the first year once the official release becomes available at the end of next month. That is as long as it does not invalidate my current W7 product keys. Will need to read reviews to see how this works.

I may do a test load at some point under VirtualBox on my XP or W7 machine to verify the installation process.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #25

I reserved a Windows 10 copy from Windows 7, July 29th will be interesting. Decided to dedicate a SSD for this. Did a clean Windows 7 install and after several hundred updates I got the Win 10 icon and reserved a copy.

Could not upgrade in Virtualbox due to it complaining about the video driver.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Reserved Win10 for an 8.1 laptop. I don't use the laptop much so I will probably switch to 10 soon. Might as well see what's up.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I run Windows 8.1 on my Mac, on its own volume natively in Boot Camp and virtually through VMWare Fusion. But yeah, the upgrade advisor to reserve a copy said the video driver used by VMWare is incompatible. (We think it is but it isn't signed as such. Both VMWare and Microsoft have seemed to point fingers at each other.)

Interestingly, we have a vintage 2005 Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 (it shipped with XP) which is said to be compatible with 10. I doubt I'll do it, especially if reports indicate that 10 is a performance hit compared to 7. But I'm surprised that any Windows-based laptop that is over 10 years old would still be able to meet the minimum requirements for running a brand new Windows OS.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #28

Quote:

I tried to load the DVD/.iso file for the Windows 10 Technical Preview onto VirtualBox (32 bit W7 host) without success. It either hung at the blue flag screen or proceeded to an error message screen depending on the state of one of the acceleration flags in the VirtualBox configuration.

I guess I will try one of the official releases when they become available.

FWIW, the host machine was a 4G Dell D630 laptop.

-gauss
Old 07-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been using 8.1 on a tablet, and it works pretty well - I can 'tablet' all I want, but when I need a desktop... I'm typing this on an extended desktop on a 24" monitor connected to the tablet, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. This kit cut my travel backpack weight by 3 pounds, don't have to carry the laptop and charger.

I am chagrined to say that IE11 is the best tablet browser I've used yet. Hope they don't screw that up in Win10.

I've set up for the Win10 upgrade on it; curious to see how it'll go. A little concerned it'll set me back, but we'll see...
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I tried to load the DVD/.iso file for the Windows 10 Technical Preview onto VirtualBox (32 bit W7 host) without success. It either hung at the blue flag screen or proceeded to an error message screen depending on the state of one of the acceleration flags in the VirtualBox configuration.

I guess I will try one of the official releases when they become available.

FWIW, the host machine was a 4G Dell D630 laptop.

-gauss
I was able to run the build 10240 in Virtualbox. This is the unofficial ISO, RTM build. No way to activate it, but it runs.
Success!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #31

Success!

Quote:
I was able to run the build 10240 in Virtualbox. This is the unofficial ISO, RTM build. No way to activate it, but it runs.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I actually got it working this morning. The problem was that although the processor in my Dell Latitude D630 laptop did support the VT-x visualization/acceleration extensions, Virtualbox could not see it. I tried to enable it in the BIOS, but could not find any reference to it there.

As it turns out, you need to get the Dell enterprise configuration tool known as CCTK as described at this blog.

Once I made the changes to the virtualization parameter AND rebooted then Virtualbox for me displayed the VT-x enabled and booting W10 iso made it beyond the blue flag screen.

-gauss
Old 07-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I have Windows 7 Professional, and have it set for automatic updates- does Windows 10 automatically load?? I have decided I do not want 10 at this time, but will continue with 7 for the time being. Have changed my settings for now to shut off auto updates, but anyone see anything definitive on this?
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #33

Quote:
I downloaded the Windows 10 Insider Preview (x64) - Build 10130 and this is my first impression. I am running it in Virtualbox using Ubuntu.

Incredibly ugly. No transparencies, color gradients, 3d looks, colors, no borders on windows. Everything is flat and boring looking. The start menu is loaded with crap on the side that no one will use. Apps like Bing, News, Weather and Maps that are useless and annoying. Looks like made for 1992.

They should have just kept Windows 7 and updated it.
=====================
That's very interesting Jim. I am on the fence, too.

There is always an angle. In another thread someone mentioned the possibility of a subscription fee for updates after a couple years for Win 10. To me, that seems logical. How is Microsoft going to make anything off this free bee otherwise? I paid for Win 7 and get free updates. I like Win 7. I like the Media Player, which from what I read Win 10 does not have. I reserved Win 10, but I think I will hold out for quite a while to see how this develops.

"In order to understand any human situation: "Look for where the profit lies."
Old 07-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
If I have Windows 7 Professional, and have it set for automatic updates- does Windows 10 automatically load?? I have decided I do not want 10 at this time, but will continue with 7 for the time being. Have changed my settings for now to shut off auto updates, but anyone see anything definitive on this?
I don't have the reference handy, but there is or was a process you have to go through to get 10 downloaded and installed. Something you get in auto updates puts an icon in your system bar (lower right of screen) and then you have to click on it to set to update to 10. I'm running 8.1 on a surface RT and it won't be available for awhile for the RT platform, so I've not seen it in practice, but you should have it in sys tray already.
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #35

Thanks for the reminder. I signed up for it too, so I'm backing things up now, just in case.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #36

I find that the laptop I've had for the last two and a half years (Asus X54C with I3 processor, 6 Gig Ram and 500 Gig HD) works just fine with Win 7, boots up fast ~ 40 sec, never crashes, every program I regularly use runs quickly and with no problems. What would be the advantage for installing WIN 10 for me?
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

This icon in your systray is what you click to request the upgrade.

If you qualify it will download Windows 10 when available, then notify you the upgrade is ready. It's up to you when/if to upgrade.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I find that the laptop I've had for the last two and a half years (Asus X54C with I3 processor, 6 Gig Ram and 500 Gig HD) works just fine with Win 7, boots up fast ~ 40 sec, never crashes, every program I regularly use runs quickly and with no problems. What would be the advantage for installing WIN 10 for me?
The issue becomes do you anticipate using the laptop after Jan 2020 when extended support i.e. security bug fixes ends? If so then upgrade, but seeing that the machine will be 8 years old then, it seems a bit unlikely that you will.

That may be the issue as MS only says it will support platforms while they are still in their life cycle. In my experience laptops last 3-5 years before either the battery or the disk goes out. At that point one then needs as with many things to fix or replace.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
The issue becomes do you anticipate using the laptop after Jan 2020 when extended support i.e. security bug fixes ends? If so then upgrade, but seeing that the machine will be 8 years old then, it seems a bit unlikely that you will.

That may be the issue as MS only says it will support platforms while they are still in their life cycle. In my experience laptops last 3-5 years before either the battery or the disk goes out. At that point one then needs as with many things to fix or replace.
Thank you. Very tempted to leave well enough alone and stick to Win 7 on this machine. After all, I think that OP system is what it was designed/optimized for.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Tonight's the night...
Windows 10 might already be downloading on your Windows 7 and 8 PCs | The Verge

Info on the process.
I've received some large downloads from Windows update lately, but nothing in the file mentioned here, from the cited article:
Quote:
In less than 24 hours, Microsoft will start upgrading Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines to Windows 10. The software giant is preparing for this big release, at 12AM ET on July 29th (9PM PST on July 28th), by pre-loading the final version of Windows 10 on PCs eligible for the upgrade. A number of Windows 7 and Windows 8 users who have registered for the upgrade have started noticing that the full installer files for Windows 10 have been downloaded to C:\$windows.~BT as Microsoft gets ready for release.
...more
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote