Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just watched 5.94 GB fill up my hidden $Windows.~BT folder. So excited.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 04:04 AM   #42

No luck. Downloaded, checked, installing, failed.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:04 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

My little Get Windows icon says I will be notified when the update is ready, as it has since I signed up for the update from my Windows 8.1 system. I don't think I've ever had a full OS update to a new version so curious about how it will work.

Apple should have a Windows 10 discount day today--10 percent off its Macs and Macbooks for Windows owners.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

My SO got the notification a little over a hour ago and we are in the process of upgrading her win 7 laptop. Fingers crossed!
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

Windows 10 set up ok on one computer... Now to try and figure out how to use it.

On a second computer, not so good. Has problem finding space, though I have plenty. Did an sfc/scannow and it says it found files it can't fix. Looks like a long nightmare of fixes that don't work.

On DW's computer... not going to install until I can figure out how to use it.

One thing that comes up early is the "Microsoft Store"...

Will advise.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mossberg was on CNBC saying it's definitely worth upgrading to, but wait for some bugs to be fixed first.

Some of the features they show in the commercial, like the ability to log in via face or retina recognition, requires certain types of webcams and Cortana may not work well with some types of microphones.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

So far, everything Ok . Been busy with other things but she has used it 30-45 minutes on internet and e-mail,zero problems(so far).Installed in about 1 1/2 hours with no hitches.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

not too happy... as an old dog, new tricks aren't easy.
I don't like the interface... seems like they tried to satisfy everybody. My guess is it was designed for mobile.
They say the start menu is back, but as yet, I haven't figured it out. Seems like you have to "scroll" through hundreds of files.
Microsoft has definitely designed it for Microsoft. Changing over to Gmail, Chrome and the Google stuff hasn't been easy for me.
yeah... I'm biased... using three different computers and two operating systems wasn't a good idea for this puppy.
YMMV... don't let this turn you away... watch for more and different "takes".

Maybe using it on phones will make it worthwhile.

Will struggle and see how it feels in a few days.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Glad you volunteered to be guinea pig, good luck!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

So, on two of my computers, I was prepared to get Windows 10.
The first went ok, but for whatever reason, the install on the second computer, got as far as downloading the install, and came up with the "cannot proceed" problem. The next thing was "wait... while unloading the files".

From there... when I boot the computer, it basically stalls, for about 3 minutes while it is automatically downloading the same original install files, to try again. Same result... I had to go to msconfig to remove the "startup" of Microsoft download.

So the problem for me, was the original error shown during the install. Since Microsoft was able to show this error code, you'd think they would have some kind of solution. Here's the google search page that I received when inputting the error code.

https://www.google.com/search?newwin....0.o1tfhms0YkQ

With some 60,000 "hits" on Google, am guessing I'm not alone.

I would have expected some kind of Microsoft solution, but the few that were shown had no reference to the current problem. The rest of the solutions involved so many steps that I couldn't follow them.

The good?... At least I didn't get a corrupted Windows 10 on the second computer... The bad? Now I have to deal with learning two different interfaces. At my age, one was enough.

I didn't see any way of reinstalling Windows 7, so I'm stuck, unless I do a complete reinstall... Not worth it.

So... I'm guessing that 99% of all installs will be ok, but as part of the 1%... not so good. If I were to do it over again, I'd wait for a few weeks, as many of y'all are doing.

If anyone "should" have the same problem, here's the suggested "fix".
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #51

No luck again today. Microsoft published an official ISO so I might try a clean install and blow away Win7. Hopefully I don't loose the activation.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
So, on two of my computers, I was prepared to get Windows 10.
The first went ok, but for whatever reason, the install on the second computer, got as far as downloading the install, and came up with the "cannot proceed" problem. .....

If anyone "should" have the same problem, here's the suggested "fix".
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Good luck!
Here's my recommended fix:

Install Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS | Ubuntu

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #53

Two tips for worry-free, high success rate upgrades -

1) Worry-free - install the upgrade to a cloned copy of the hard drive. If there are any problems or dislikes, simply replace with the original copy.

2) High success - Upgrade to a clean, updated copy of the stand alone target operating system. Add the extra software after the upgrade, especially with older software. Example - when upgrading from XP to Win 8, I was able to use XP based Works 9 by installing in XP mode. It would not have worked as a complete system upgrade.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
+1
That is my main OS right now.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #55

I would like to. Get 10, from what I have read they restored start menu, like in win7. However, I have surface rt, and it isn't being released for rt.
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #56

Here's a couple links to help you get back to your old OS and other tips.

Change your mind about Windows 10? Here's how you can roll back - CNET

Windows 10 - CNET
Old 07-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
I just installed Ubuntu 15.04 over 14.10 on my main computer. It took about 40 minutes, one reboot, and worked perfectly. Again.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #58

An alternative to Ubuntu is Linux mint, I believe its also based on Ubuntu 14.04 and is just a derivative of that core. I've been using it for a few weeks now since "they" finally convinced me that my old computer with windows XP was no longer safe to use. The transition away from windows was actually painless . I find the Linux mint 17.2 Cinnamon version to actually be fairly similar to windows XP or Win 7 in the use of a menu and most things work just as I would expect them to coming from a windows environment.

The version I use can be found here: Download - Linux Mint

The version I use is the 32 bit Cinnamon since my XP computer is about 12 years old and has only 1 gig of memory. Maybe less resource intensive versions such as Mate would work better but I find the Cinnamon flavor works fine. I know there are even lighter versions of linux for even older computers but I find the one I picked to work just fine.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Running it now. I like it compared to 8 and 8.1, and it may be a little faster than 7. I'm running it on a Mac that has two hard drives, one running Yosemite and one now running Windows 10 with Boot Camp. That added some complications to "activating" Windows but I eventually got it to work.

I have a PC laptop which is running Windows 7, and I'm shocked that I'm told it is still compatible with 10 since we bought it in 2005 when it shipped with XP. That laptop, which I sometimes use in bed to wind down at night, dual boots with Ubuntu 14.04 which is what I usually use on that one. That said, my early opinion is that Win 10 is what Win 8 should have been just as Win 7 was what Vista should have been. I have not seen any software incompatibilities yet with the apps I ran on 7 and 8.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #60

Did the upgrade last night/ early this morning. Here's the issues I had;
1. It changed my Windows password. YUP! Could not log on using my password I used to have. Turned out that it somehow syncs with Microsoft Outlook and my password for my laptop w/Windows 10 is my Outlook password. I was sweating!!

2. My touch pad on my laptop no longer has right side scroll. Finally figured out where they hid the Windows Settings, then Devices, then Mouse and Touchpad, then Related Settings, then Additonal Mouse Options, then Mouse Properties, then Elan Smart Pad, then Multi-finger tab, then Scrolling, select the 'enable' box. and look at the illustration that shows I need to use two fingers on the touch pad, one stays touching but not moving, the other finger slides up and down.

WHEW!

However,
If I'm off at an angle and my finger slides left/right instead of straight up/down, my screen zooms in and out instead of scrolling.
WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!

3. Opened Quicken and it can't find my folder I keep my accounts in. Can't find the back up to restore. Luckily I got it on a memory stick.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote