Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

My main computer used for everyday stuff let me know Win10 upgrade was ready to go this morning, really wanted to put it on a couple of lower priority PCs first but after verifying my important software was compatible, figured oh what the heck. About an hour and maybe 15 minutes later, while using other PC to review all of the recommended privacy/stop the evil empire stuff settings. No problems, everything seems to work as advertised so far. Learning curve appears to be very minimal, as in I tend to skip pretty much anything over a sentence or two in instructions and have had no issues at all, pretty intuitive for any experienced Windows user, IMHO.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Did mine today, no issues, but do the custom setting since a lot of the setting have to do with stuff being sent to Microsoft and getting you moved to more of the cloud stuff. It took about 1.5 hours to complete with no interaction on my part once it started. Looks about the same as Windows 7 with start button and the desktop does not have the application blocks like Windows 8. Some stuff changed, but like Theseus stated very minimal learning curve.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
So aside from using your bandwidth without your permission, and harvesting your data for nefarious reasons, and once again forcing you to use their new Edge browser without your permission, have you found anything really bad about MS Win10?

You might want to also read Windows 10: Microsoft under attack over privacy
and Windows 10 Is Spying On You
and Windows 10's New Feature Steals Your Internet Bandwidth!

There is some duplication here but better to be safe than sorry. Maybe some enterprising techie will invent an automatic procedure?
This is making me hold back. One thing is information you put online yourself using email, facebook or dropbox. Microsoft copying my files to their servers "just because we can" rubs me the wrong way. I have already seen warning emails from people beeing worried their secret work files might end up with Microsoft and that beeing a reason for dismissal if the files were sensitive enough.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll probably go to Win 10 when I buy a new laptop. I'm hoping this one will last a few more years. I'm very offended by the Big Brother default activities in the new OS. I'll wait for a standardized privacy solution to be implemented by one of the open source security companies. I'm sure one will be along soon.

Until then they can have my Win 7 when they pry my cold dead finger off the touchpad.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

I have my eye on a certain new, gorgeous, smokin' fast Windows 10 laptop. It has bells and whistles galore, and costs about twice what I wanted to spend. I may buy it in a couple of weeks anyway, unless I talk myself into a cheaper one.

I was going to get a new laptop this year anyway, so the timing's not bad.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Microsoft charging for features removed from W7 and W8--such as Solitaire and Windows Media Center.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #107

I tried to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last night. It happily configured away until 32%. Choked on a driver. I went to bed. This morning pushed the power button until it shut down. Brought it up and it reconfigured back to Windows 7. At least the recovery worked OK.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #108

have done 3 computers now - no issues have come to light. Turned off the sharing info under custom setup so no worries about that.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I upgraded my desktop to Windows 10 from Win 8.1 yesterday. It took about 45 minutes, and my impression after about an hour with it, it's an easy adjustment from Win 8.1. It really combines the feel of Win 7 and earlier with a scaled back Metroish interface easily accessible from the START button. (live tiles are a good feature IMO). I have not played with Edge or Cortana yet, we'll see.

And while Microsoft has become more intrusive by default, they are way more upfront about it, and there are ways to turn some of it off (though a novice user may never figure out how). All of your software is more intrusive these days, you just don't realize it in most cases. Free ain't free...never was.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #110

I had been having a problem with Windows 10 hanging up on shut down. I wasn't getting the Windows 'welcome tone' on start up and on start up the num lock key on my keypad was set to off. The last I could fix with a little batch file, if I could remember the commands to use.

It turns out MS released a patch on 8/5 (KB3081424). Windows 10 tells you it is downloading an update, but unlike Windows 7, it doesn't tell you to keep your machine on. I used Task Manager to shut down, and the next night did a hard shutdown.

The MS Community was reporting that the fast start up option in Power options was causing the system to hang on shut down. I found instructions and disabled Fast Start Up. When I rebooted the update was applied and magic: the 'welcome tone' is back and so is the num lock key.

YMMV.

Rita
Old 08-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... All of your software is more intrusive these days, you just don't realize it in most cases. Free ain't free...never was.
Actually, free always has been free in the GNU arena(Linux, etc). You just had to be somewhat of a nerd to use it. It sounds like it is now pretty easy for anyone to use. I don't think they tolerate any sneaky stuff either.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Microsoft charging for features removed from W7 and W8--such as Solitaire and Windows Media Center.
And Movie Maker isn't free with W10 either, although the version I already had installed with W8.1 seems to still work, as well as previously-installed Windows Media Center. Or will they go kaput after the one-month grace period to roll back to 8.1 expires?

I'm almost tempted to go back to 8.1, because I can't get that registry edit to work for M$. I get "Version Vector" not "Version"--and can't change the value.

BTW: Notice how that linked MS site about the registry edit turns back on one or more spying cookies that I had turned off/opted out of, as noted in this post above? "By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalized content and ads." I had to go back and opt out again. I also found a button turned "On' in my Privacy Settings for "Get Office"--a "new" app--when a few days ago everything was turned "Off." Looks like you have to be vigilant about those privacy settings, to see what new stuff is spying on you behind your back.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #113

Just finished the Window 10 upgrade. Everything went smoothly; it's going to take some getting used to but things seem a bit faster. To reiterate what DFA said do the custom setup to avoid sending too much info to Microsoft. I use Norton Internet Security and had to download an update to that program before using it.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Just ran into my first W10 related problem that I couldn't seem to figure out. It seems the touch-pad drivers on my HP laptop would not save my configuration changes. I could make changes or customize it like I wanted and everything would work but the changes would not be saved after a reboot. I checked the HP support website and quickly found a new touch-pad driver (released just 2 days ago) for my machine. Downloaded and installed it and it fixed the problem. I also noticed several other recently updated drivers for my machine running W10 but since I'm not having any other issues, I decided not to pull them down (at this time).

Not surprising to find some minor compatibility bugs pop-up with a new OS. Just glad to see my laptop manufacturer seems to be on top of it and got out new drivers/fixes pretty fast.

For years, it seems that I'm always getting updates/fixes/patches from Microsoft for their OS's but this is the first time, in a long time, that I've had to pull down an updated driver from the PC manufacture. I also noticed that I got my first automatic Microsoft W10 update/patch yesterday.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #115

I reverted back to Win 7, yesterday. I thought I would get used to Win 10, but kept having reservations using it. I am happy to stick with 7 and most comfortable and efficient with it. I am relieved and happy with 7.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Well even if you disable all the phone home features, W10 apparently still sends data back to Microsoft.

I haven't upgraded, though I see now there is some OneDrive icon in my System Tray. I've never used OneDrive so I don't know what it could be uploading.

Talk about sleazy.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Have you thought about the overall effect Microsoft's release of Windows 10 could have on the Giant Google?
I immediately removed the search window from my task bar. Not sure how actively involved others are in doing this sort of thing though. I'm sure there are a lot of users who simply use their computer and OS in the state that it is delivered to them.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #118
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I converted my laptop to Win 10 and haven't been able to get the sound to work. Been though a couple of troubleshooting tutorials with no luck. I'm considering returning to Win 7 as I don't see any new gee-whiz features I don't think I can't live without...
Old 08-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I reverted back to Win 7, yesterday. I thought I would get used to Win 10, but kept having reservations using it. I am happy to stick with 7 and most comfortable and efficient with it. I am relieved and happy with 7.
Was it relatively painless (easy) to revert back? I'm thinking of doing the same from W10 to W8.1, because, as someone else said here today, I'm not seeing anything in W10 I just can't live without, and W8.1 worked just fine for my PC uses.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well even if you disable all the phone home features, W10 apparently still sends data back to Microsoft.

I haven't upgraded, though I see now there is some OneDrive icon in my System Tray. I've never used OneDrive so I don't know what it could be uploading.

Talk about sleazy.
Privacy concerns persist with Win 10, as per the OneDrive issue -

Quote:
Windows 10 will periodically send data to a Microsoft server named ssw.live.com. This server seems to be used for OneDrive and some other Microsoft services. Windows 10 seems to transmit information to the server even when OneDrive is disabled and logins are using a local account that isn't connected to a Microsoft Account. The exact nature of the information being sent isn't clear—it appears to be referencing telemetry settings—and again, it's not clear why any data is being sent at all. We disabled telemetry on our test machine using group policies.
Even when told not to, Windows 10 just canā€™t stop talking to Microsoft | Ars Technica UK
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote