Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The biggest performance difference I have noticed so far is a nice speed up in both startup and shutdown.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
The biggest performance difference I have noticed so far is a nice speed up in both startup and shutdown.
There is a setting in Windows 10 "Fast Start Up" that accomplishes this. So you can start working before all the background programs are working. Some have had problems with a good shutdown because of this setting (the computer never shuts down). This was a problem I had with my older HP laptop. Once I turned off Fast Shutdown, everything works perfectly.

Just watch your PC over the next few days as updates are applied. If you find a problem, google it for a solution.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Just watch your PC over the next few days as updates are applied. If you find a problem, google it for a solution.
Had something else catch me by surprise this morning. With Win 10 running on 4 different PCs now, I've been finalizing a few more settings here and there. This morning I found one PC had rebooted for updates, and when logging onto it my password wasn't working. WTF? Noticed the login user name was now my email addy/MS Account username; tried that password and yup it worked. Lucky thing I made that password one of the few that I can actually remember. Googled it and found what happened; when setting up a printer I was prompted to download an app from the MS windows store and following further prompts for MS Account login I did so, and that was my mistake. MS seems to think using their app store with a login (which according to the article cited below is unnecessary) means you'd like to turn your PC into a borg drone.

See You don't need to use a Microsoft Account to download apps from Window 10's Store

Setting -> Accounts -> Your Account -> and selecting 'sign on with local account' got me disconnected from the hive, and it is back to a local login and password again. Didn't care for the fact I couldn't find a way to bypass from the login screen, not sure if being disconnected from the net would have defaulted back to local account login or not.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
... Just watch your PC over the next few days as updates are applied. If you find a problem, google it for a solution.
Windows users have known for years that they should have multiple PCs, hoping to have a good working one to look for help or to make rescue disks.

Imagine if we all need a backup for our car, AC, fridge, TV, phone, stove, etc... Redundancy, redundancy...

And people want to bring more computer gadgets into their life. I already have way too many as it is, speaking as one who has worked with computers his entire career before the word PC was ever coined.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

I upgraded and it all seems to have gone fine. I like the new browse and have used the edit feature a few times already. Having Windows 8.1 I already had a Microsoft account they had you set up so not a surprise.

I did see some people talk about having to pay for solitaire, etc. not sure why that is, on windows 8.1, you got them from Microsoft store, you have an xbox account for free and I still have access to all the same games I had prior to upgrade.

I like the tablet option and so much prefer the new multiscreen task option...the old 8.1 was very clunky and often I was on the desktop trying to get a calculator and wanting to pull my hair out so I'm certainly happier.

There is a driver issue I haven't figured out yet, I know there is still one showing windows 8 that I had an error on but it disappeared before I took notice and could write it down.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I upgraded and it all seems to have gone fine. I like the new browse and have used the edit feature a few times already. Having Windows 8.1 I already had a Microsoft account they had you set up so not a surprise.

I did see some people talk about having to pay for solitaire, etc. not sure why that is, on windows 8.1, you got them from Microsoft store, you have an xbox account for free and I still have access to all the same games I had prior to upgrade.

I like the tablet option and so much prefer the new multiscreen task option...the old 8.1 was very clunky and often I was on the desktop trying to get a calculator and wanting to pull my hair out so I'm certainly happier.

There is a driver issue I haven't figured out yet, I know there is still one showing windows 8 that I had an error on but it disappeared before I took notice and could write it down.
Hey Karen, don't forget to turn off all the "invasion of privacy" selectors mentioned early in this thread. Also, there is a way to relieve yourself of a barrage of third party ads as MS will sell your personal info and read your e-mails.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #147

I have not set any "fast start up" option. But it is till much faster on both starup and shutdown. So far the only problem I had was with Norton Internet Security which had to be uninstalled and then reinstalled for some reason. I could not uninstall it so called Norton support. They were great and had me back up and running in a very short time. Years ago I had loaded Norton Utilities 15 and when I uninstalled it it left some data behind that the new Internet security didn't like.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Well I spent most of the week trying to upgrade. I tried migrating my applications (I really didn't want to install my games and other apps again). So finally on my 4th shot I gave up migrating the applications and just did a data migration each one taking several hour, I got Windows 10.

Woot I thought. Only to discover that I can't connect to internet due to driver problem with my network adapter.

So tomorrow I'm looking forward to a fun with tech support day.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #149

[QUOTE=Nodak;1624693]I have not set any "fast start up" option. But it is till much faster on both starup and shutdown. /QUOTE]

Fast startup is set by default. If your PC is shutting down normally, I wouldn't change anything. I had a problem with the pc never shutting down, and disabling fast startup was one solution from Microsoft community. It solved the problem.

Boot up is reasonably fast, but I do need to wait about 30 seconds from the point where I enter my password until I can use the machine. Not a big give from my perspective. Shut down is fast.

- Rita
Old 08-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #150

They say that a backup is not proven until it is restored and working...

Think of a run-away wagon in a classic Western movie. Once the wagon loses a wheel, other wheels become vulnerable, the carriage weakens, and the hero comes along just in the nick of time.

There is a high degree of reliability in spinning disks and SSD's. However, all things must fail. There's usually a cascade of oversights (operator) and exceptions (computer software). A very small weakness in the logical layout is caught when we pump a gazillion bits of data onto the drive. Wait. Stop. I didn't mean it. Go back!

Each time you try one of these grand installation experiments, be sure to acknowledge to yourself that you could lose it all.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #151
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Each time you try one of these grand installation experiments, be sure to acknowledge to yourself that you could lose it all.
+1

As eager as Microsoft is to push Windows 10, I still think they made a mistake in providing a free upgrade. Installing a new operating system was not a simple thing even back in the days of Windows 95. Now, operating systems are much more complex. If I was making decisions for Microsoft, I would have told them to just provide Windows 10 with new computers as before, and skip the free user upgrade entirely.

I lucked out, because I was ready to buy a new laptop anyway so I am getting one with Windows 10. I'll have both until I am sure the Windows 10 laptop is working and has everything on it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #152

Well, it's been over two weeks since I upgraded from W8.1 to 10. I've read some real horror stories that some folks have experienced but for me it's been pretty good. I've ran into a few problems that took some digging to figure out but that wasn't a surprise to me for a new OS. So far, I only had to pull down one new driver/patch from my PC manufacture to fix a problem. Everything else has just been a matter of setting the correct configuration parameters to get things working like I want. I have noticed there seems to be a lot more options available to configure the PC. I guess with added functionality you might expect added options. It takes a little poking around with some of the configuration options to get use to them and I have found many more of the options can be found (or accessed) via multiple paths. I think they could improve on how the options are arranged and/or are accessed. Some option menus are not as intuitive as they probably could be but they are still very useable.

I really liked XP and W7, but hated windows 8. So far, I like W10 the best.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 9+ on a combination of functionality, stability and easy of use.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #153
Administrator

Car-Guy, that is very encouraging! All the reports online about disasters while upgrading, are pretty intimidating so it's nice to hear about it when someone has a good Windows 10 transition.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1

As eager as Microsoft is to push Windows 10, I still think they made a mistake in providing a free upgrade. Installing a new operating system was not a simple thing even back in the days of Windows 95. Now, operating systems are much more complex. If I was making decisions for Microsoft, I would have told them to just provide Windows 10 with new computers as before, and skip the free user upgrade entirely.

I lucked out, because I was ready to buy a new laptop anyway so I am getting one with Windows 10. I'll have both until I am sure the Windows 10 laptop is working and has everything on it.
M$ concern is the hordes who are leaving the fold. Trying to entice you in with this "deal." It's free. Take it, kid. No one will know.

If this thread is any indication, I think there will be class action in the future. The reward will be a free Windows phone for the winners.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

I'm at a wait and see about Win 10. Sticking with Win 7 for the moment (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Reading about MS doing the lose privacy default thing (who do does MS think they are? Facebook? ) makes me considering going to Linux when Win 7 is no longer supported. But then, there are certain programs I've grown accustomed to in Win.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Well I spent most of the week trying to upgrade. I tried migrating my applications (I really didn't want to install my games and other apps again). So finally on my 4th shot I gave up migrating the applications and just did a data migration each one taking several hour, I got Windows 10.

Woot I thought. Only to discover that I can't connect to internet due to driver problem with my network adapter.

So tomorrow I'm looking forward to a fun with tech support day.
I had this problem too. I still can't connect wifi but I am plugged directly into the router now and so into the Internet that way. I don't want to have to reconfigure and reload anything (I did try a couple of suggested solutions that led nowhere), so I am just going to make it my "landline desktop computer" for banking and bill paying and use another (new, non-Windows) computer for everything else, including wifi.

I hope your Internet connection gets solved!
Old 08-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Windows users have known for years that they should have multiple PCs, hoping to have a good working one to look for help or to make rescue disks. ...
I'm no fan of Windows, but that statement pretty much applies to any OS.

Quote:
Imagine if we all need a backup for our car, AC, fridge, TV, phone, stove, etc... Redundancy, redundancy...
But there is a big difference. To fix a computer, you need a computer - that is your tool-set (unless you are dealing with very basic hardware problems). You don't need a car to fix a car (though you might need a tow truck, or a loaner), you need wrenches, and maybe a computer!

Quote:
And people want to bring more computer gadgets into their life. I already have way too many as it is, speaking as one who has worked with computers his entire career before the word PC was ever coined.
I'm all for it in many cases, but they must be robust, and the computer should make things simpler, not more complex. That's often not the case.

-ERD50
Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I had this problem too. I still can't connect wifi but I am plugged directly into the router now and so into the Internet that way. I don't want to have to reconfigure and reload anything (I did try a couple of suggested solutions that led nowhere), so I am just going to make it my "landline desktop computer" for banking and bill paying and use another (new, non-Windows) computer for everything else, including wifi.

I hope your Internet connection gets solved!
On my 5th attempt I finally got Windows 10 working. At least I have confidence that rolling back to Windows 7 works fine.

I tried several things, I have 3 Terrabyte of drives so it takes while to check and migrate everything over.

The ultimate solution wasn't hard. I simple went into the device manager uninstalled the the driver for the network adapter card and rebooted the computer. Win 10 found a driver loaded and it worked. But this was after googling and trying several other suggestions.

The good news is definitely like it better than Win 7, it seems to be faster and more intuitive. It is pain to have to reinstall games and some utility programs but ultimately I'm going to be happier with it.

I should also say least I scare off others.My computer is no name brand, which I've added stuff to over the years. Upgrading to 10 seem for the large majority of user a pretty simple upgrade, and overall Microsoft is to commended for the process. I am still amazed it is free. In truth I would have paid $50 to $100 for Windows 10.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:18 AM   #159

Seems like every other Windows release is a hit, and the others a big miss. XP, 7 and 10 appear to be solid, worthwhile and robust upgrades. But Vista (between XP and 7) and 8 (obviously between 7 and 10) were massive clunkers for the most part.

Eventually MS got most of the Vista problems fixed (in the last service pack), but by that time, it was almost 7 anyway, and 7 was soon to be released so people waited. And as for 8, version 8.1 fixed some things even though MS punted on the return of the Start menu they originally promised. Basically, W7 turned out to be what Vista should have been, and 10 appears to be what 8 should have been.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm no fan of Windows, but that statement pretty much applies to any OS.

But there is a big difference. To fix a computer, you need a computer - that is your tool-set (unless you are dealing with very basic hardware problems). You don't need a car to fix a car (though you might need a tow truck, or a loaner), you need wrenches, and maybe a computer!
Not really. If what afflicts the computer is bad software or a virus, meaning its CPU and basic hardware are fine, one should be able to boot from a restore disk and fix the problem. In reality, we know it is not so simple. MS has made it so complicated that even they cannot figure out what is wrong sometimes, and the solution is to reinstall everything. Hah!

My wife's PC running Win 7 Professional got bitten by a virus. I exorcised it by a 3rd party software, but a peculiar problem remained. After a boot up, she could not log in to her user's profile. She had to log in as myself first then switched over to her profile, else she could not get in. I looked and Windows complained about some services not running (then tell me how to set them to run, damn it!). I used the "Event Viewer" to examine and noted a couple of diagnostic messages. OK, that should pinpoint it.

Went to the Web looking for a solution, found some info and followed it, but that did not work. Not even MS site could help fix the problem. I am not an early quitter, but had to give up after several days, and reinstalled everything. My wife said she did not mind the login workaround, but that bothered the hell out of me.

Same as many posters here, whenever I go to the Web looking for info I often see tens of thousand or more of people with the same problem. And quite often, we were all stuck without a solution.

Quote:
I'm all for it in many cases, but they must be robust, and the computer should make things simpler, not more complex. That's often not the case.
That is my point. Computers and the Internet become such a ubiquitous part of our life. And more than useful, they should be a fun thing to pass the time with. But bad, bad programmers often spoil the mood.

And because the computer is so important in our life, yet can be so unreliable because of software, we often have a backup for it. My point earlier was that we did not need the same backup with other essential appliances.

At my 1st real technical job, I saw a sign posted in the lab. It said
"If carpenters built houses the same way programmers wrote software, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization" - Anon.