Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Pretty much all in now, with 3 desktops on Win10: Intel 4, 3.00 GHz, 4.0 GB RAM; Intel Core i7-2600, 3.40 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM; Intel Core i7-3770, 3.40 GHz, 10.00 GB RAM; and an old laptop: Genuine Intel T7200, 2.00 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM ST: 8T76NB1. Fourth desktop, Intel Core2 Duo E8200, 2.66 GHz, 3.25 GB RAM is just about ready to reboot is now running fine as well after upgrade right now.

Have been pleasantly surprised how the older low memory machines with slower processors have handled Win10, all seems to be working fine. Even more surprised with some old software, pre 2008, that wasn't even on the radar as far as compatibility has worked as well. Thought I might have to degrade at least one machine to run that stuff (vehicle specific diagnostics, and an ancient but familiar CAD program), but so far, so good.

Maybe DW will let me near her Surface Pro now
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Was it relatively painless (easy) to revert back? I'm thinking of doing the same from W10 to W8.1, because, as someone else said here today, I'm not seeing anything in W10 I just can't live without, and W8.1 worked just fine for my PC uses.

I installed Windows 10 over the weekend and hated it. Plus it won't run my VPN Client which I need for my consulting work. Rolled it back to Windows 7 the next day. Very painless, but must be done within 30 days of installing Windows 10.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Was it relatively painless (easy) to revert back?
Yep, not much too it. Took about 10 minutes and all went well. Happy to be back on Win 7.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...
Old 08-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #124

The whole spyware stuff is a show stopper for me. I would use it for things that don't matter, but not for real personal info. Android is the same way, I would never use it for personal info either.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Privacy concerns persist with Win 10, as per the OneDrive issue -

Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can’t stop talking to Microsoft | Ars Technica UK
Did you try putting
127.0.0.1 ssw.live.com
in your hosts file. If so, did it stop it?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Did you try putting
127.0.0.1 ssw.live.com
in your hosts file. If so, did it stop it?
I have decided to wait until next year if at all on the free Win 10 'upgrade'. In the meantime I do follow along learning what I can.
With Win 8/8.1, I decided against using the cloud based services, installing as a local account instead.
P.S. thanks for the tip.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Truly, if MS is going to insist on being a spyware OS going forward (maybe we should call them the MSA), I may have to switch back to Linux. It's been awhile, but I doubt there's that much of a learning curve. As long as some form of Open/Libre Office works on it, I should be OK. But I'm never switching to Win10.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #128

Quote:
Was it relatively painless (easy) to revert back? I'm thinking of doing the same from W10 to W8.1, because, as someone else said here today, I'm not seeing anything in W10 I just can't live without, and W8.1 worked just fine for my PC uses.

Birdie...It is easy to revert back. I was relieved to be back where I began. It took maybe less than 20 minutes. If you have reservations after using Win 10 for awhile, just go back. You can always upgrade in the year it's not locked in. Win 7 is good for another five years. Don't feel pressured to have to deal with something you really don't care for. If I wanted my computers to be like a smart phone, I would just use smart phones all the time. A program is a program...not an app.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I installed Windows 10 over the weekend and hated it. Plus it won't run my VPN Client which I need for my consulting work. Rolled it back to Windows 7 the next day. Very painless, but must be done within 30 days of installing Windows 10.
I wasn't aware there was a 30 day limit before doing a rollback. I did create a disk image of my laptop using Windows 7 backup before doing the upgrade to Windows 10. Not as fast as doing a rollback but I can restore the image at any time if the need arises although right now I don't see any reason to.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Truly, if MS is going to insist on being a spyware OS going forward (maybe we should call them the MSA), I may have to switch back to Linux. It's been awhile, but I doubt there's that much of a learning curve. As long as some form of Open/Libre Office works on it, I should be OK. But I'm never switching to Win10.
Seems that MS isn't the only "big brother" type out there... Ubuntu Spyware: What to do? — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software

I've had a system running on Ubuntu 14.03, found it relatively easy to navigate but what bothered me about it (long before I saw the linked info) was the impression I had of how it so reminded me of MS-DOS back in the 80's. At that time I had the MS manuals guiding me regarding command line particulars but now one needs to rely on the intraweb for guidance, just doesn't feel as confident with that lack of verifiable documentation. Instead of operating parallel systems and needing to stay current on all of them, I standardized on MS, but I do realize YMMV.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #131

Been using Windows 10 for 6 days now. Everything is working well and I am adjusting to it's idiosyncracies.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

I been saved. An old Lenovo laptop had the offer for win 10. It is a playtoy so out of curiosity let it try th upgrade. After an overnight whatever the message said: this laptop can not be upgraded due to processor incompatibility. Halleluyah!. Stay with win 7.

I have a Sony All in one with windoze 7 it has not offered the upgrade, I'll let it be. Two other desktops run Linux.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Nice tutorial on methodically eliminating the encroachment by the Borg

I think it has been covered but just make sure that when you buy a new computer, you still have to do this.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Birdie...It is easy to revert back. I was relieved to be back where I began. It took maybe less than 20 minutes. If you have reservations after using Win 10 for awhile, just go back. You can always upgrade in the year it's not locked in. Win 7 is good for another five years. Don't feel pressured to have to deal with something you really don't care for. If I wanted my computers to be like a smart phone, I would just use smart phones all the time. A program is a program...not an app.
Reverted back to 8.1 this morning, for a variety of reasons. It was easy. I started the process of reversion, then took a shower, and by the time I had dried off and dressed my PC was back to my earlier comfort level.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #135

Now with a couple of weeks under my belt Windows 10 seems just as comfortable to me as my previous experiences when I had a mix of computers some with windows 7 and some with windows 8.1 - The only one I haven't upgraded is my HTPC since Windows Media Center is necessary on that. If someone come out with a DVR program or "App" that is as easy to use I would upgrade that one too!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

OK, brave or foolish, I just ordered a new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed.

I was going to order a new computer anyway, even though my present computer is still working.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OK, brave or foolish, I just ordered a new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed.

I was going to order a new computer anyway, even though my present computer is still working.
I am sure it will be just fine, W2R! You'll have to report here.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I am sure it will be just fine, W2R! You'll have to report here.
I definitely will! It is supposed to arrive Monday night, but I really won't have time to even fire it up until after the real estate closing I have later in the week (selling my old house). Maybe I can post something about it next weekend.

How's your new Macbook Pro working out so far? That is a good option too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #139

I've had W10 on my laptop for a few days now, upgraded from W7. Not a whole lot of difference, though I'm happy to skip W8. It did fix a problem with the window "focus", where it would rapidly cycle through two or more windows as the active window before it would settle on one of them. And also a memory leak problem (at least hopefully that is fixed) with one or two system processes that would grow in size until I restarted. It seems a little faster than 7.

The only real problem I've had was no sound. When I opened the volume mixer it started working, so not much of an issue.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Upgraded my custom gaming rig to w10 from w8.1. It went OK once I cleared space on my operating system drive (a smaller SSD for performance). I actually miss the 8.1 start screen experience, with the larger space for the active tiles, so I have made the setting for the menu to be full screen. Seems ok. I'll be helping my neighbors with their upgrades in Sept.