Windows 10 - Fall Creator's Update - Ransomware

scrabbler1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I saw this in Bogleheads and thought we here should know about it.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=230797

It's about Windows 10 and its new Fall Creators Update for Ransomware. If you don't have it, you can run Windows Update and it should come in. Then you can turn the feature on and, if needed, add some folders to protect beyond the default ones.

I just tried it and it isn't ready for prime time.

If it blocks a legit program (it did the first game I tested) you have to dig into your file structure and figure out which .exe is offending and whitelist it. But even that is not obvious because many games run a launch program that is different from the game executable. And Windows abbreviates the popup message so you cannot even tell which .exe is running.

A poster in the Bogleheads thread said he/she couldn't get LibreOffice to work after trying all the .exes.

Also you cannot change the default protected folders, nor can you whitelist a program directory (say steamapps>common). Only the exact offending .exe, which it doesn't tell you because the popup is abbreviated.

It's a good idea but needs work. I turned it back off for now.

Last edited:
Glad I'm clinging on to Win 7 until no longer supported.

I like Win10, and welcome the change, but not until it’s more ready. Think I’ll wait a while. Thanks.

Glad I'm clinging on to Win 7 until no longer supported.

I wouldn't recommend that. Win10 is better, faster and safer as long as you use something like Classic Start Menu so it doesn't behave like you are on a freaking cell phone.

This is a good attempt at additional security (that you'll never see on Win7) that just needs some additional work to be user friendly.

I wouldn't recommend that. Win10 is better, faster and safer as long as you use something like Classic Start Menu so it doesn't behave like you are on a freaking cell phone.

This is a good attempt at additional security (that you'll never see on Win7) that just needs some additional work to be user friendly.

Of all the words in this post, faster is the only one I agree with. I hate Win10.

Back
Top Bottom