Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Windows 10 preview
Old 10-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
Windows 10 preview

If anyone is wanting to play, there is a link to download the preview version.

Everything You Need to Know About Windows 10

Also note they skipped "9", for the coders out there a funny explanation taken from a reddit thread ( I can believe it )


Windows 10 May Have Gotten Its Name Because of Lazy Coders

Microsoft dev here, the internal rumours are that early testing revealed just how many third party products that had code of the form

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9"))
{ /* 95 and 98 */
} else {

and that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.
__________________

__________________
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Persons downloading and installing Windows 10 Preview should be aware of the extensive monitoring done, purely to improve the user experience, of course.

Quote:
Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.
...

We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility" and "use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing.
...
If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.
TL ; DR ... All your computer belong to us.
__________________

__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,425
Looks interesting.

But unless it's free to upgrade for my HP 8.1 laptop, there would have to be some compelling new features.

As it is, I bought a MacBook Pro with Retina because while the HP is good for some things (like Quicken and XBMC), in general it doesn't hold a hotel Wifi connection as well as my iPad.

It would cost me like $200 to increase the RAM from 8 to 16 GB, so I guess I'll keep it for occasional Windows software not available on the Mac.
__________________
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Also note they skipped "9", for the coders out there a funny explanation taken from a reddit thread ( I can believe it )

Windows 10 May Have Gotten Its Name Because of Lazy Coders
As a programmer in a former life, yes, I can totally believe it. Lazy? Maybe. But if the name would indeed cause a lot of problems with legacy code it does make sense to use a different name.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,370
Programs generally do not reference a version name, such as "Windows 95" or "Windows 98", but rather an encoded version number the operating system uses internally. Windows 7 through 10 all employ the same Major version number of 6.
__________________
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 246
I installed it in a Qemu virtual machine yesterday, pretty straightforward (well, if you know Qemu).

1. Download the .iso, not the installer, ~4G
2. Make a 25G disk file with qemu-img
3. Run Qemu with the disk file as hda, and the .iso as cdrom, boot from the cd, and use -usbdevice tablet, or the mouse will not behave
4. Install Win10 per the menus
5. Reboot with the disk file, and have fun.

I ran Qemu on my Ubuntu machine; there are versions available for Windows which should work pretty much the same way.

Edit: Oh, and I used the VNC console to do all my work with the Win10 install and operation.

I know this isn't for everyone, but for those who do VMs...
__________________
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Windows 10 doesn’t fix the desktop—it fixes Windows 8’s reputation

Windows 10 doesn’t fix the desktop—it fixes Windows 8’s reputation | Ars Technica

Quote:
After using the new desktop for a few days, I can say that it really feels more like Windows 8.2 than Windows 10 (the software isn't nearly done yet, but the point stands). And there's some indication that this was Microsoft's plan all along; the Start menu and the ability to run Windows Store apps in resizable windows were originally rumored to be part of an "Update 2" for Windows 8.1, though those plans were obviously scrubbed.
Quote:
Obviously, it would be ideal for Microsoft if it could pull off another Windows 7 here, replacing Windows 8.1 with a lightly modified but "new" OS that quickly displaces its predecessor and starts winning over some Windows 7 (and even Windows XP) holdouts. The fresh start that a new name provides is just one more way to try to make the next version of Windows stick.
Quote:
For those who championed Microsoft's bold attempt to redefine the desktop, this gradual return to something that looks more-or-less like the Windows 7 desktop may seem like backtracking. Maybe it is. But if the Start menu and a new name are what it takes to make Windows 8's numerous under-the-hood changes easier to swallow—faster booting, more versatile networking, faster system recovery via Refresh and Reset, new features like Storage Spaces, a vastly improved Task Manager, tight OneDrive integration, and so on—it seems like an acceptable concession.
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,337
I always like ArsTechnica, even when I disagree with them.

The article got me to thinking:

Why do people buy some many Windows computers for home?

Is it because they use their home computer for work, where Windows is predominant?

Is it because they use them at work, so that is what they know and they automatically buy it for their home use?

Is it because the only alternatives are Mac (no cheap computers) and Linux ( to geeky for most people)?

I can't help but think that most people would be very happy with a tablet (Mac or Android) or even a ChromeBook. For finding recipes, doing e-mail, communicating via social media, one doesn't need a fancy computer these days.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,425
Well that's a dilemma MS faces, because PC sales overall have been flatlining for couple of years.

iPad and phones to a lesser extent may account for some of the slowing of sales growth or even sales dips of PCs.

Microsoft is trying to address this with hybrid devices like its own Surface and the "2 in 1" laptops which can detach or fold over to become thick tablets, often with fans.

But these are not cheaper devices.
__________________
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,709
Windows 10 = 8 - 1 + Linux
__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I can't help but think that most people would be very happy with a tablet (Mac or Android) or even a ChromeBook. For finding recipes, doing e-mail, communicating via social media, one doesn't need a fancy computer these days.
My wife has a MacBook on her desk, but she spends 95% of her time on an iPad. In fact, she's told me that she doesn't plan to need another computer eventually.

Me, I do too much gaming on my computer, stuff that really requires more processing power, better graphics cards and a full size display and keyboard, to rely on a tablet. But yeah, if I'm just surfing around, web browsing, checking e-mail and such, I'd sooner have a tablet I can take with me all over the place.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Persons downloading and installing Windows 10 Preview should be aware of the extensive monitoring done, purely to improve the user experience, of course.

TL ; DR ... All your computer belong to us.
Ahhh, they already have all they need from me after using Windows all these years. Plus, they may actually get another look at my custom built computer (by me, of course,) and the version of XP I am still running.
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Why do people buy some many Windows computers for home?

Is it because they use their home computer for work, where Windows is predominant?

Is it because they use them at work, so that is what they know and they automatically buy it for their home use?

Is it because the only alternatives are Mac (no cheap computers) and Linux ( to geeky for most people)?

I can't help but think that most people would be very happy with a tablet (Mac or Android) or even a ChromeBook. For finding recipes, doing e-mail, communicating via social media, one doesn't need a fancy computer these days.
Since you asked....

I have a Microsoft desktop, Microsoft laptop, and 7" Android tablet.

I prefer the "form factor" of a desktop PC. I have back problems, so sitting vertically in a desk chair is more comfortable than lounging somewhere with a tablet or laptop.

My desktop also has a 23" screen which is easy to look at.

I retired 7 years ago, was a heavy user of Microsoft at work so I am used to working with the Office suite of software. I still find myself typing a Word document or creating/updating a Powerpoint (for example, I've been laboring on a 45-page family tree for the past 8 months) or fiddling with a spreadsheet on Excel. Also, I use TurboTax for filing my taxes.

I thought the 7" tablet would be my lightweight travel unit, but I prefer the look and feel of software and internet on a PC as compared to an app...so I just bought the laptop to replace the old Asus eee netbook which recently died. I just returned from a 3-week trip overseas, lugging this 5-pound 15" laptop. Its size and weight has me rethinking what computer I will take with me the next time I fly somewhere. I'll probably keep the laptop for domestic trips by car.

I like to Skype with family overseas (in conference format to connect with people in 2 different countries). My overseas cousin (who uses Linux exclusively) can't see us (nor us him), as he tells me that Skype conferencing only works with Microsoft-equipped units. When it's just he and I connecting, Skype works fine.

I briefly looked at Chromebooks, but didn't want to get into paying fees for cloud storage as I try to avoid incurring monthly subscriptions for anything long-term.

I also send/get Microsoft files to/from other people and wonder if I might run into issues if I switched to Open Office and Linux.

For kicks, a few months ago I tried installing Linux Mint and Xubuntu on my old desktop PC (with much help from several posters here). It might have been the fact that the PC was 7 years old, but I just never got it to run right.

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I always like ArsTechnica, even when I disagree with them.

The article got me to thinking:

Why do people buy some many Windows computers for home?

Is it because they use their home computer for work, where Windows is predominant?

Is it because they use them at work, so that is what they know and they automatically buy it for their home use?

Is it because the only alternatives are Mac (no cheap computers) and Linux ( to geeky for most people)?

I can't help but think that most people would be very happy with a tablet (Mac or Android) or even a ChromeBook. For finding recipes, doing e-mail, communicating via social media, one doesn't need a fancy computer these days.
1. Windows is part of the landscape. Clients use them, so I started to take apart to use spare parts, and so on. I have XP, 7, and even a Vista in my lab. I use some of these for one purpose, like having a notebook ready to plug into a router so I can get logs, configure, etc.

2.if I didn't have Windows, I would not have been able to work for megacorp.

3. I don't automatically do anything. The need drives the purchase.

4. Nope. Have the others too.

5. I am happy with Android tablet. And Windows desktop. And so on.
__________________

__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 7 "upgrade" on a windows 8 computer Lakewood90712 Other topics 21 08-17-2014 08:17 PM
Kindle Books: Preview vs. Full Version TromboneAl Other topics 9 09-09-2010 11:16 PM
Intro and Request for Advice re: My ER Preview EagleEye Hi, I am... 42 08-11-2008 02:07 PM
ER Forum Cookbook Preview TromboneAl Other topics 19 01-27-2007 02:32 PM
Tile Layout Preview Software? BigMoneyJim Other topics 2 10-28-2006 08:30 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.