Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

windows 10 upgrade info
Old 06-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

windows 10 upgrade info

There have been a couple of threads about windows 10. This link I ran across is one the best Q&A writeups I've seen. Folks might be interested to read it.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Some highlights

There is no subscription fee

You don't have to use the reservation app. You can get it anytime after release. The reservation basically just puts you in front of the line.

Media Center function is gone as others mentioned.

It appears you will be able to download the media iso ( DVD ) for offline installation. I wouldn't upgrade without it.

They say if you have a hardware failure in the future, you will be able to reinstall and keep the free version. No details yet on how this registration/activation is done.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great article! It addressed two big questions I still had, clearly and unambiguously. Thank you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Lifetime of the device? What does that mean?
Old 06-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
From the link in the OP:

Quote:
What does lifetime of the device mean?
This is still being debated, but the logical conclusion is as long as the machine is operable, it will continue to support it with updates. So, if the machine still works 5 or 10 years from now, revisions and updates to Windows 10 will be made available to it. Please note that Windows 10 uses the same life cycle policy of 5 years mainstream support and 10 years extended support.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

And thanks for the link, rbmrtn! It was very helpful.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Operationally, it's not a new concept, so it would be reasonable to expect the common interpretations in the industry to prevail. The one I know best is TiVo's lifetime service, which is also defined to continue for the lifetime of the device. However, it relies on the fact that the device is designed to self-identify through some means associated with its hardware. Lifetime arrangements don't mean much without such a means. I am therefore assuming that Windows 10 will be limited to devices that has such a means of self-identifying - something more closely tied to the CPU or motherboard rather than to the hard drive or network adapter.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:32 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
However, it relies on the fact that the device is designed to self-identify through some means associated with its hardware. Lifetime arrangements don't mean much without such a means. I am therefore assuming that Windows 10 will be limited to devices that has such a means of self-identifying - something more closely tied to the CPU or motherboard rather than to the hard drive or network adapter.
Windows has pretty much based activation on motherboard for a long time. Nowadays, new OEM motherboards (e.g. Dell, Lenovo, etc) even have the Windows license built in to the UEFI so you'll notice if you buy a new computer, it doesn't even have a sticker with the product key on it anymore.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #8

That phrase has gotten a lot of attention, still with no clear answer. Here's another lengthy discussion on it.

Microsoft goes vague on Windows 10 support | Computerworld

Why won't Microsoft just say what Windows 10 support will be?

Miller took a stab at that one. "Either they're not sure [what it will be], or they're not excited about announcing bad news," he said of Microsoft's hesitancy to talk.

But bottom line, if you play in the windows world you are stuck with what they give you
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #9

If you play in any "world" you are stuck with what's there, regardless of how what's there comes about.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I think this fits in here...
My son sent me this link to a geeks site that was previewing a replacement for media player. An independent site that described the new program, which obviously was a "first foot in the door" as a windows10 unaffiliated add-on.
[Sponsored] Arm Your PC with the Best New Media Player it Deserves!

Before you do any downloading, here's the folow up note he sent me the next day...
Quote:
Sorry that I sent this link before testing it. After installation, it seemed to work fine. However, after restarting my machine, it's crashing left and right. I'm gonna uninstall and I suggest you not install or uninstall if it's doing the same thing for you.
I am thinking that we're going to see a lot of this in the future. FWIW, you might want t read the description of that app/program... as it looks as if it could be a good replacement for media player, if they ever get the bugs worked out.

Along the same lines... progress on another front. I mentioned "PLEX" as a good program some time ago. Since then, this program has made great strides in becoming user friendly and offering an interface that is so easy to use, and visually excellent, that it may well be one of the best ever to provide access to the trend to streaming media, and access to your own photos, videos, and music. I think it's a crowd based program... with the basics "free" but now providing an income stream by offering an anywhere, any time, any media ... access, for a nominal fee. I can see using this in the future, as a replacement for satellite, cable or OTA Television.

It will take a little while to get my/your mind around the broad capabilities of these new entries into the digital age. Just doing an overview of the advances, takes some getting used to.

Will be looking forward to more of this. Would like to be able to access everything from dedicated keyboard, to the TV, without the multiple remote controls.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Along the same lines... progress on another front. I mentioned "PLEX" as a good program some time ago. Since then, this program has made great strides in becoming user friendly and offering an interface that is so easy to use, and visually excellent, that it may well be one of the best ever to provide access to the trend to streaming media, and access to your own photos, videos, and music. I think it's a crowd based program... with the basics "free" but now providing an income stream by offering an anywhere, any time, any media ... access, for a nominal fee. I can see using this in the future, as a replacement for satellite, cable or OTA Television.
Plex is more like DIY Netflix. Basic functions are free (and this includes online streaming from your home server for anytime, anywhere access). However, certain features such as Mobile Sync, Cloud Sync, Camera Upload, etc, require a Plex Pass subscription. The mobile apps for Plex tend to go for $5 a pop.

Obviously, you'd need an always on computer/NAS running Plex Media Server for the anytime, anywhere access to work. I've got an upcoming project using a Raspberry Pi 2 with a 2TB 2.5" USB HDD and Anker power bank for use as portable Plex Media Server.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have been using SageTV for about ten years now. About five years ago Google bought the company out and immediately stopped supporting it -- no upgrades, no support desk, no website, etc. I am still amazed that in that time this program is still miles ahead of current choices.

A month or so ago, the original developer of SageTV announced that Google had authorized the "open source" release of the program within "months, not years." There is a very large contingent of SageTV users -- most of whom are programmers who have been begging for this since the takeover.

Anyway, this exchange may contribute to this discussion: Understanding SageTV - SageTV Community

Quote:
susanj 06-11-2015 07:20 AM

Understanding SageTV

I am looking to network my home so that all of my kids can access our movie collection via the TV versus opening a box and putting a DVD in.

With that said, I was originally looking into PLEX and was then told by a friend that there have been some hacking problems with that software and to look into SageTV. Everything I have been reading states that the STP-HD300 is no more and that Google bought out Sage TV. Have they released anything that I can buy yet for the purpose I mentioned above? Can I still buy any STP-HD300's and how many would I need to have? Some people have told me I need one at every TV that I want to access the library at. I bought a NAS storage system, do I even need this with SageTV?

Anyone with helpful information would be appreciated. I am definitely, not tech savvy and need help understanding how I can make this work.

Fuzzy 06-11-2015 08:23 AM

you cannot currently purchase sagetv, other than from an existing user via the forum here. Google has released the ability for sagetv to be moved to an open source project, and when that happens, you'd be able to use it (the open source version) for free. There is no timetable for that to occur, as they are working on stripping out the commercially licensed bits and pieces.

If all you are looking to do is to be able to watch your media library from elsewhere, the plex or kodi are likely better options for you. There are a large number of hardware clients that support them. Sage's only hardware clients are not available (some hd300's may still be available here on the forum from the last remaining stock, but they are certainly not cheap). SageTV's primary focus is as a DVR, so if that's not your primary focus, then the other options are likely better.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote