Join Early Retirement Today

Windows 7, anyone else beta testing?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Windows 7, anyone else beta testing?

I have been beta testing Windows 7 for several months now and just received the RC (Release Candidate) and my impression is that MS got it right this time.

First reaction was that it seems to allow you to use it's features rather than imposing them on you. The look and feel take a day or two to become intuitive but it strikes me as what MS should have launched instead of Vista.

I have 2 printers, cameras, external devices galore and all worked seamlessly.

Anyone else testing or care to share experiences/quirks with Win 7?
PX4sc40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am running RC1 (build 7100) on my new EEE 1000HE, dual booted with XP. I had to download a couple of special drivers to get some of the function keys and wifi to work, but once it worked, it's been rock solid for me and it feels quite a bit snappier and responsive than XP. So far it feels like a winner to me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'm beta testing Vista. Does that count?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm beta testing Vista. Does that count?
Wow -- they've fixed enough bugs and incompatibilities to go beta with Vista?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Wow -- they've fixed enough bugs and incompatibilities to go beta with Vista?
Sure, just uninstall incompatible equipment and reboot often, and it works like a charm.

Anyone want to buy a "vista compatible" video card that won't really work with Vista?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I am running RC1 (build 7100) on my new EEE 1000HE, dual booted with XP. I had to download a couple of special drivers to get some of the function keys and wifi to work, but once it worked, it's been rock solid for me and it feels quite a bit snappier and responsive than XP. So far it feels like a winner to me.
Glad you reminded me, I did have a problem getting the FnxF8 (switch CRT) function to work.

Other than that I loaded it onto a 64GB G.Skill SSD and the computer is super fast compared to Vista with standard HD.

Boot time from Shut Down mode is phenomenal, under 5 secs.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post
Boot time from Shut Down mode is phenomenal, under 5 secs.
Wow! That is great - it eliminates the need for sleep/hibernate/suspend which Vista does particularly poorly.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Wow! That is great - it eliminates the need for sleep/hibernate/suspend which Vista does particularly poorly.
Yeah, exactly my thoughts. If it boots that quickly (granted with a T9550 CPU and SSD), then shut it all the way down.

Also, it just seems faster, not annoying "Allow this?" questions, etc.