Windows 7, anyone else beta testing?

PX4sc40sw

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been beta testing Windows 7 for several months now and just received the RC (Release Candidate) and my impression is that MS got it right this time.

First reaction was that it seems to allow you to use it's features rather than imposing them on you. The look and feel take a day or two to become intuitive but it strikes me as what MS should have launched instead of Vista.

I have 2 printers, cameras, external devices galore and all worked seamlessly.

Anyone else testing or care to share experiences/quirks with Win 7?

I am running RC1 (build 7100) on my new EEE 1000HE, dual booted with XP. I had to download a couple of special drivers to get some of the function keys and wifi to work, but once it worked, it's been rock solid for me and it feels quite a bit snappier and responsive than XP. So far it feels like a winner to me.

I'm beta testing Vista. Does that count?

Wow -- they've fixed enough bugs and incompatibilities to go beta with Vista?

Sure, just uninstall incompatible equipment and reboot often, and it works like a charm.

Anyone want to buy a "vista compatible" video card that won't really work with Vista? :)

I am running RC1 (build 7100) on my new EEE 1000HE, dual booted with XP. I had to download a couple of special drivers to get some of the function keys and wifi to work, but once it worked, it's been rock solid for me and it feels quite a bit snappier and responsive than XP. So far it feels like a winner to me.

Glad you reminded me, I did have a problem getting the FnxF8 (switch CRT) function to work.

Other than that I loaded it onto a 64GB G.Skill SSD and the computer is super fast compared to Vista with standard HD.

Boot time from Shut Down mode is phenomenal, under 5 secs.

Boot time from Shut Down mode is phenomenal, under 5 secs.

Wow! That is great - it eliminates the need for sleep/hibernate/suspend which Vista does particularly poorly.

Wow! That is great - it eliminates the need for sleep/hibernate/suspend which Vista does particularly poorly.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. If it boots that quickly (granted with a T9550 CPU and SSD), then shut it all the way down.

Also, it just seems faster, not annoying "Allow this?" questions, etc.

Back
Top Bottom