Join Early Retirement Today

Windows 7 "upgrade" on a windows 8 computer
Old 08-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windows 7 "upgrade" on a windows 8 computer

If this has already been discussed , please point me to the thread.

Have 3 computers, old desktop with xp, running just fine, a year old laptop with windows 8 , and a 6 year old or so desktop with vista and 4 gb memory..

The vista machine has been sluggish lately, and when I booted up, got a black screen stating hard drive failure is imminent , advising to backup and replace the hard drive, then with f2 I proceeded to a normal windows start up. A new hard drive ( identical make/model)is cheap, about$30 on Amazon. I have really gotten my moneys worth from this computer, don't mind buying something new, but I hate windows 8.

I have a 3 pack windows , full 32/64 7 upgrade that I have never opened. Can I use this "upgrade" on the win 8 laptop and any new machine I buy ? a backwards upgrade ? I really dislike windows 8
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
I have really gotten my moneys worth from this computer, don't mind buying something new, but I hate windows 8.
You can still buy new laptops with Windows 7 installed. For example, Best Buy online lists quite a few.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #3

You need to look at the specifics of the "upgrade" version of 7. It was different than the retail/oem version and would only install over an existing xp/vista install.

Here's a link to some workarounds, Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version - Windows 7 Help Forums
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:56 AM   #4

Keep in mind that Microsoft has started abiding by their long-standing policy regarding end of life.
Quote:
The end of support for Windows 7 will be January, 2020...
Plan Now to Avoid Windows XP Deja Vu With Windows 7

Rowing up-river hasn't been especially onerous in the past but I believe those days are over. The expectation, now (throughout the industry, not just with regard to operating systems) is that users will keep their software up-to-date or (without apology) suffer the consequences. In many cases, companies that distribute software are moving to a subscription model despite customer resistance. The cost savings from such a system combined with the stronger and more reliable revenue stream trumps the loss of revenue from customers unwilling to make a long-term ongoing commitment to pay.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Rowing up-river hasn't been especially onerous in the past but I believe those days are over. The expectation, now (throughout the industry, not just with regard to operating systems) is that users will keep their software up-to-date or (without apology) suffer the consequences. In many cases, companies that distribute software are moving to a subscription model despite customer resistance. The cost savings from such a system combined with the stronger and more reliable revenue stream trumps the loss of revenue from customers unwilling to make a long-term ongoing commitment to pay.
I quite agree. I take advantage of two "subscription" models -- Office 365 and Adobe's Creative Cloud 2014.

In the past, I would have to come up with big bucks every 18 months or so to keep current. And even then, "current" was kind of a misnomer since the updates during that period were only "bug fixes."

Now, however, I have the most current version of each program for the roughly the same cost as before but without the required hit to the pocket book as that amount is spread out -- and the "subscription" model, BTW, has the option to drop out at any time for no further payments.

Yes, there are those folks who purchase software and run that version until it absolutely won't work any more and then have that steep learning curve to learn the current version. The "subscription" model is not for them... I am not one of them.

I, also, am curious as to what the OP finds to "really dislike" so much about Windows 8. When I am called upon to fix something on my wife's Windows 7 laptop (which is getting to be quite often), I am always struck by how klutzy that OS is compared to Win 8.1.
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #6

I set my father-in-law up on a new windows 8 computer. Choosing windows 8 instead of 7 was "one of the worst mistakes in his life" (he says this a lot). Basically he has problems navigating the new UI as everything is in a different spot, and basic windows programs are changed/renamed.

From my perspective, migrating his files over from Vista (I think) was an extreme pain as "Windows Easy Transfer" refused to work (vista -> win 8 not supported) and stuff had to be moved over manually. This should be a 1 button click operation.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
... I have really gotten my moneys worth from this computer, don't mind buying something new, but I hate windows 8.
Have you tried the Classic Shell free program which runs on Win 8? I use that to make Win 7 look more like XP.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #8

When win 7 first came out weren't these threads all about how bad 7 was and how could one revert to XP?
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I just go to the Desktop all the time. I upgraded for free to Win 8.1 and only run Desktop programs, like Chrome, Thunderbird, iTunes.

Sometimes, you can accidentally click the little icon on the bottom left to go into Windows 8 tiles but I just leave it.

Other times, some of the system settings will open up a Windows 8 app. I make the changes and Alt-F4 to go back to the desktop.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
When win 7 first came out weren't these threads all about how bad 7 was and how could one revert to XP?
The only time I ever had a "upgrade" issue with Windows was from v3.1 to Windows 95. I took me a week to decide that Windows 2000 was by far the better choice -- I didn't find a significant difference between the two while Win2K was, finally, a program that thought like I did.

I have been very happy with every new version of Windows since then.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The only time I ever had a "upgrade" issue with Windows was from v3.1 to Windows 95. I took me a week to decide that Windows 2000 was by far the better choice -- I didn't find a significant difference between the two while Win2K was, finally, a program that thought like I did.

I have been very happy with every new version of Windows since then.
Honestly I've been happy with all of them, and had fun learning the ins and outs of each new operating system as they came along. I like the novelty of getting a new operating system although to some that is a little quirky.

On the other hand, the ONLY Windows operating system that I recall, that didn't have a huge outcry and resistance from many people wanting to keep the older operating system, was Win 3.1. Even XP had a huge outcry against it on the internet during its first years, with people wanting to keep, what was it, NT? Win2000?

I loved Win95, and in fact I waited in line to be the first one to get a copy when it first arrived in College Station, TX. Sort of like kids do for iPhones now, I guess. It was a Big Deal to me. At work I used Macs, but I had a PC at home and I was amazed with Win95.

From Win95, up through Win 8.1 today, I still put folders on my desktop to organize my most used applications, much like the Win 3.1 desktop.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Even XP had a huge outcry against it on the internet during its first years, with people wanting to keep, what was it, NT? Win2000? .
Those of us that had switched to NT/2000 were terrified that they were trying to revert back to the Win95 style. This was back in the day when Microsoft had those wonderful all-day shows. I sat there amazed at how advanced WinXP was -- you could link an Excel spreadsheet cell directly to Yahoo finance in real time even... unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I still put folders on my desktop to organize my most used applications, much like the Win 3.1 desktop.
Yeah, my Desktop is as cluttered as always (see below) but Now I use it mainly for a temporary holding bin (wait! that's what it was designed for <chuckle>) All my most used programs are still there (someday I will clean it up) but I rarely launch from there any more.

I have found it much more efficient to use "Groups" in the Win8/8.1 Start screen. The large icons are much easier to work with than opening a folder and searching the directory/folder for a specific filename.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desktop.jpg (581.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
From my perspective, migrating his files over from Vista (I think) was an extreme pain as "Windows Easy Transfer" refused to work (vista -> win 8 not supported) and stuff had to be moved over manually. This should be a 1 button click operation.
And in the perspective of the future of computing, a zero-button-click operation, with everything in the cloud and so just logging in gets you access to the same data you had access to, in the same places they were, on your other/old computer.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #14

I found that I like Win 8.1 that came with the new laptop simply because they made it easy to find the desktop and that suits my style better. It helps to buy one of those big thick books on it. I bought David Pougue's the missing manual book and after reading the first few chapters covering the interface I haven't needed to read the rest.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #15

I haven't had any more problems, so I think the black screen message warning of " Imminent hard disk failure" is some kind of malware I must have picked up. May be hard to get rid of , as it cane up before windows boot. Has not appeared again.

I still do need to do some pro-active up-dating of the os on the older machines.

I understand the spirit and intent of the "upgrade" os software, being that the machine needed a paid lic. windows product , to be eligible to "Upgrade". I looked at some of the links in posts about downgrade eligibility, and one took me to a microsoft webpage. Didn't really fully understand, as it was geared toward network / business type users.

Microsoft does offer a free upgrade of the win 8 to 8.1. Win 8 seems like it is intended for tablets and other touch screen devices, I'm still living in the past , I don't even have a so called "Smart Phone" L.O.L.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I quite agree. I take advantage of two "subscription" models -- Office 365 and Adobe's Creative Cloud 2014.

In the past, I would have to come up with big bucks every 18 months or so to keep current. And even then, "current" was kind of a misnomer since the updates during that period were only "bug fixes."

Now, however, I have the most current version of each program for the roughly the same cost as before but without the required hit to the pocket book as that amount is spread out -- and the "subscription" model, BTW, has the option to drop out at any time for no further payments.

Yes, there are those folks who purchase software and run that version until it absolutely won't work any more and then have that steep learning curve to learn the current version. The "subscription" model is not for them... I am not one of them.

I, also, am curious as to what the OP finds to "really dislike" so much about Windows 8. When I am called upon to fix something on my wife's Windows 7 laptop (which is getting to be quite often), I am always struck by how klutzy that OS is compared to Win 8.1.
My goal has been to reduce monthly recurring charges. The subscription model is in direct opposition to this goal. If I can reduce my monthly charges, I can live on a smaller budget.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My goal has been to reduce monthly recurring charges. The subscription model is in direct opposition to this goal. If I can reduce my monthly charges, I can live on a smaller budget.
That's been my issue with the subscription model too. When we bought a computer with Win 7 it was a replacement for one running Win 98 and I only did that because i couldn't find tax software that would run on Win 98.

The only subscription I have gone for so far is the "Photographer's Special" of Adobe's Creative Cloud - Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC only, no other applications, for $9.95/month because I use them almost daily. Well, Lightroom anyway. And Photoshop is just fascinating because of all the possibilities with it.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I set my father-in-law up on a new windows 8 computer. Choosing windows 8 instead of 7 was "one of the worst mistakes in his life" (he says this a lot). Basically he has problems navigating the new UI as everything is in a different spot, and basic windows programs are changed/renamed.

If the computer is a desktop without a touch screen upgrade to windows 8.1 upgrade 1 and it will boot right into the desktop. You might then want to set up shutdown and logout icons if using the charms bother you. (Or use the command prompt and type shutdown.exe /s /t 0 and the machine will shut right down.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #19

I forget how at the moment - Google is your friend - but it is also possible to have 8.1 boot right to the desktop.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My point was why pay out a large amount in a lump sum when you can give a little at a time -- the ol' "a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow." At the end of the day, the "budget" is unaffected... or, if so, affected positively. (Why do you think annuities are so popular with the issuing companies? Like, for instance, Lotteries.)

In any event, just to have the most up-to-date version is worth the (perhaps?) inconvenience of monthly billing to me.