Join Early Retirement Today

Windows 8
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windows 8

I bought a laptop in July and they said I could come get Windows 8 installed before the end of the year for free. I am pretty savvy with my Iphone and Windows internet. Has anyone tried Windows 8? Do you like it? I know it takes some adjustment, but I am pretty good at learning things for being a regular person and not IT or professional. If you have used it, do you recommend it?
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #2

I just set up laptops for my sons with Windows 8.

The big key is to remember to move the mouse to the corners to go between the Metro/Application/Tiled interface and the more traditional desktop. Once you get that - you can always switch to desktop and do things as you used to.

It was also trickier to find the control panel. Since my sons are at that pre-teen age (10 and 12) where the internet is a bit to free for what I want them to see - I needed to get the parental control stuff put in. (I know they'll figure out how to get around - but it will slow them down a bit.) Control panel only shows when you open a windows explorer - and go to "computer".

There is no "start" button. But you can put shortcuts as tiles on the metro page or on the desktop.

It wasn't as painful as I thought - but I've only played around with it for 1 weekend.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #3

I ran the Win8 system pre-check on my new desktop and it indicated potential problems with Itunes and office starter. I can understand Itunes but office starter...come on. I think I'll wait until the first service pack.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #4

Thanks, I still have a little time to think about it. I may try and find someone who has it on their computer to see it in actioin.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're happy with Windows 7 there's no compelling reason to upgrade IMO, especially if your monitor isn't touch enabled. A lot of people seem to have trouble adjusting to the new Metro (or whatever it's called) UI in Windows 8.

azphx1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I tried it in a store, with and without touchscreen. I thought it was pretty intuitive and liked the interface in general. I'd be willing to bet we'll be seeing "live tiles" on Apple and Google devices soon (like Win8). However, I don't know anything about backwards compatibility with MS software or Apple and other software. That would be key to me...best of luck.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried Windows 8 at the Microsoft Store and thought it was pretty slick for a touchscreen format (tablet or ultrabook) device, but I have to agree with some of the criticisms about the OS, such as this one.

That said, my next laptop will probably be a Windows 8 Surface Pro or touchscreen ultrabook, but for now I'm sticking with Windows 7 on my existing PCs.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azphx1972 View Post
I tried Windows 8 at the Microsoft Store and thought it was pretty slick for a touchscreen format (tablet or ultrabook) device, but I have to agree with some of the criticisms about the OS, such as this one.
Interesting link, thanks! My jaw dropped when I saw this item:

"Lack of Multiple Windows"

That makes Windows 8 a complete non-starter for me; I often have 2 or 3 applications running with their windows fully visible on my 16:9 ratio screen.

Someone at Microsoft has screwed up badly here.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
My jaw dropped when I saw this item:

That makes Windows 8 a complete non-starter for me; I often have 2 or 3 applications running with their windows fully visible on my 16:9 ratio screen.
I believe that's only true for the Windows 8 style apps in the "Modern UI" side of the OS, and that you can still have normal windowed apps on the traditional desktop. Still, the Modern UI is not optimized for non-touch PCs; it's like trying to use an iPad with a keyboard and mouse, you simply won't get the best user experience.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by azphx1972 View Post
I believe that's only true for the Windows 8 style apps in the "Modern UI" side of the OS, and that you can still have normal windowed apps on the traditional desktop. Still, the Modern UI is not optimized for non-touch PCs; it's like trying to use an iPad with a keyboard and mouse, you simply won't get the best user experience.
I had multiple windows open on the desktop side. It's a non-issue.

As I said before - once I figured out the corners are the places you click to change modes/interfaces it was pretty intuitive. But I have an android tablet and phone - so I'm used to the "app" idea more than someone who's just done windows PCs.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks asphx and rodi. That makes more sense. I think the reviewer could have made it a bit clearer, though!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Interesting link, thanks! My jaw dropped when I saw this item:

Someone at Microsoft has screwed up badly here.
That is also a huge problem for me, if true, but it sounds like you can work around it.