Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
And the most ignorant feature of Win8 is that it doesn't support or allow Outlook as your email client. Who thought of that one? I had to download Windows Email Live, which I'm not very fond of.
Outlook works fine on my Windows 8 laptop.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The arrogance of Microsoft is amazing. "We know what is best for you." They need some real competition, then >maybe< on the initial startup of Windoze Hate they'd give us some options.

___ "I want to see all the cool new things you guys in Redmond have dreamed up. I don't care if I have to re-learn how to do things. Thrill me!"

____ " Make Windows 8 look and operate as closely as possible to Windows 7. I want the improvements, but minimize the changes in how information is presented and how I do things. Teach me the new capabilities through smart on-screen prompts as I do things the old way. And use English words along with the cute, indecipherable icons."

Old 06-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
.... cute, indecipherable icons."
Which Microsoft decided to call "charms." Really, charms? Was the marketing group made up of tweener girls?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Which Microsoft decided to call "charms." Really, charms? Was the marketing group made up of tweener girls?
Remember the 'ZUNE'? You could 'squirt' a song to another Zune owner. It just sounds wrong. Now 'charms'?

-ERD50
Old 06-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #25

I remember when the Mac came out. People were bewildered by the idea of using a mouse. It isn't unexpected for people to resist or otherwise be dissatisfied when technology changes away from what they're familiar with. I personally struggled with the Modern UI in Windows 8, and still do to some extent, but it is simply lack of familiarity. Some things I'm doing in Windows 7 would be equally, or more so, strange, if I was familiar only with Windows 8.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like there are a number of free programs to make Windows 8 behave like Windows 7 - like this one: Welcome to Classic Shell
I use this too - amazingly nice app for people that don't like the Windows 8 interface. It may be nice for a touch screen but for anyone else it's purely a bunch of extra steps to get the same stuff done in order to try to add some level of standards.

So add me to the list of users who aren't fond of Win 8 - and I worked at Microsoft for 9 years.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
I use the power button to shut down. It is not hidden and requires just 1 finger.
I'm running a desktop with a tower case that is under the desk, so it is kinda sorta hidden
Old 06-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #28

Got the GF a Windows 8 laptop for Xmas. After two months she was about to throw the computer out the window. Installed Classic Shell for her and now she is happy once again. At end of the day I think Windows 8 is great if you have a touchscreen it is a complete mess without one.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
I'm running a desktop with a tower case that is under the desk, so it is kinda sorta hidden
There might be a power button on your keyboard.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't needed to look, but if there is a DVD or a YouTube for simple instruction, that would help a lot.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
My work PC, crashed Jan, 2013. I've used all of the windows operating systems up to windows 7 in my other laptops and pc's.

Figured I'd buy a new PC, with windows 8. New must be better.
After visiting numerous stores, and talking to different CSR's.
Came to this conclusion.
1. Unless you are used to a touchscreen tablet/smart phone, the learning
curve for windows 8 is a joke.
2. There is no "tutorial" built in, how to use window's 8
3. I had to ask, CSR, how do I find, any of the tools windows 7 have.

4. Before, when ever Microsoft upgraded the operation system, it was easy
to self learn.....windows 8...is totally different....
5 I lucked out, and found one store, that had some DELL laptops for sale
that still had windows 7. Paid more than I wanted to, but "no learning
curve"

was worth it.

6. One thought, if Windows 8 was so good, WHY IS MICROSFOFT ALREADY
DOING AN UPGRADE. ?
Yes, there is no tutorial built in the Windows 8, but the manufacturer of my netbook, Asus, provided one. I don't have a smartphone so I have minimal experience with touch screen devices, but after going through the tutorial, I adapted in less than a day.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Outlook works fine on my Windows 8 laptop.
I made an incorrect statement. Outlook will work, but it clearly states that Win8 doesn't support POP3 email, which is what my ISP uses.

I did a little research, and tried setting up my POP3 email accounts in Outlook, and by golly, it works! So thanks Zinger for helping me get over one more hurdle. I am going to conquer this Win8 beast yet!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #33

There was never really an issue about Outlook supporting POP3. It is the (free) email software built-in to Windows 8 that doesn't support POP3.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Interesting. So how do you turn on your PC or load a CD/DVD?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #35

I crouch, reach blindly and with my finger find the on button near the top. I don't think I've ever loaded a CD into it though.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I crouch, reach blindly and with my finger find the on button near the top. I don't think I've ever loaded a CD into it though.
This is one post I will not comment upon.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You show remarkable restraint
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Well its true, aside from touching the button and using my power cable I don't know how else to get that thing turned on.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #39

Windows 8 definitely has a learning curve. But once you realize the corners are "magic" it's pretty easy to figure things out.

A friend writes the windows for dummies books - he gave me that tip ahead of time... and it saved major frustration when my sons PC's (Christmas present from a generous aunt) came loaded with win8.

Another friend told me about the < windows icon > X commands. Apparently this is in Windows 7 also - makes it much easier to find control panel etc. That was important for me because we have microsoft family safety loaded on their pc's so I can set curfews, block sites, monitor their activities. (Kids are 10 and 12 so this is reasonable... )

I would not hesitate to get a win 8 pc for myself when my old vista computer dies.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #40
gone traveling

I was planning to buy a new laptop when I ran across this thread the other day and began to dread having to deal with yet another major change in Windows. So I thought I'd ask the opinion of the PC guys at Wal-Mart about Windows 8. After their answer to my first question I knew that I was on my own. Matter of fact it took 3 different sales guys just to open the locked cabinets to sell me one. They actually tried to sell me a different model since they couldn't find the key to the cabinet that had the model I wanted. They finally gave up and ended up going to the stockroom in the back of the store to find one. Ok, enough of that, I should know better. Anyway, after about 2 hours of playing around with Windows 8, I've found it pretty easy to use. So far I have been able to find most everything that XP and W7 had (and that I use a lot), but things have been moved around. The hardest thing was getting the Microsoft Office suite activated on line.