Windows 8

Looks like there are a number of free programs to make Windows 8 behave like Windows 7 - like this one: Welcome to Classic Shell

I use this too - amazingly nice app for people that don't like the Windows 8 interface. It may be nice for a touch screen but for anyone else it's purely a bunch of extra steps to get the same stuff done in order to try to add some level of standards.

So add me to the list of users who aren't fond of Win 8 - and I worked at Microsoft for 9 years.

I use the power button to shut down. It is not hidden and requires just 1 finger.
I'm running a desktop with a tower case that is under the desk, so it is kinda sorta hidden :)

Got the GF a Windows 8 laptop for Xmas. After two months she was about to throw the computer out the window. Installed Classic Shell for her and now she is happy once again. At end of the day I think Windows 8 is great if you have a touchscreen it is a complete mess without one.

I haven't needed to look, but if there is a DVD or a YouTube for simple instruction, that would help a lot.

My work PC, crashed Jan, 2013. I've used all of the windows operating systems up to windows 7 in my other laptops and pc's.

Figured I'd buy a new PC, with windows 8. New must be better.
After visiting numerous stores, and talking to different CSR's.
Came to this conclusion.
1. Unless you are used to a touchscreen tablet/smart phone, the learning
curve for windows 8 is a joke.
2. There is no "tutorial" built in, how to use window's 8
3. I had to ask, CSR, how do I find, any of the tools windows 7 have.

4. Before, when ever Microsoft upgraded the operation system, it was easy
to self learn.....windows 8...is totally different....
5 I lucked out, and found one store, that had some DELL laptops for sale
that still had windows 7. Paid more than I wanted to, but "no learning
curve"

was worth it.

6. One thought, if Windows 8 was so good, WHY IS MICROSFOFT ALREADY
DOING AN UPGRADE. ?

Yes, there is no tutorial built in the Windows 8, but the manufacturer of my netbook, Asus, provided one. I don't have a smartphone so I have minimal experience with touch screen devices, but after going through the tutorial, I adapted in less than a day.

Outlook works fine on my Windows 8 laptop.

I made an incorrect statement. Outlook will work, but it clearly states that Win8 doesn't support POP3 email, which is what my ISP uses.

I did a little research, and tried setting up my POP3 email accounts in Outlook, and by golly, it works! So thanks Zinger for helping me get over one more hurdle. I am going to conquer this Win8 beast yet!!! :LOL:

There was never really an issue about Outlook supporting POP3. It is the (free) email software built-in to Windows 8 that doesn't support POP3.

I crouch, reach blindly and with my finger find the on button near the top. I don't think I've ever loaded a CD into it though.

This is one post I will not comment upon.:cool:

Well its true, aside from touching the button and using my power cable I don't know how else to get that thing turned on.

Windows 8 definitely has a learning curve. But once you realize the corners are "magic" it's pretty easy to figure things out.

A friend writes the windows for dummies books - he gave me that tip ahead of time... and it saved major frustration when my sons PC's (Christmas present from a generous aunt) came loaded with win8.

Another friend told me about the < windows icon > X commands. Apparently this is in Windows 7 also - makes it much easier to find control panel etc. That was important for me because we have microsoft family safety loaded on their pc's so I can set curfews, block sites, monitor their activities. (Kids are 10 and 12 so this is reasonable... )

I would not hesitate to get a win 8 pc for myself when my old vista computer dies.

I was planning to buy a new laptop when I ran across this thread the other day and began to dread having to deal with yet another major change in Windows. So I thought I'd ask the opinion of the PC guys at Wal-Mart about Windows 8.:LOL::LOL::LOL: After their answer to my first question I knew that I was on my own. Matter of fact it took 3 different sales guys just to open the locked cabinets to sell me one. They actually tried to sell me a different model since they couldn't find the key to the cabinet that had the model I wanted. They finally gave up and ended up going to the stockroom in the back of the store to find one.:facepalm: Ok, enough of that, I should know better. Anyway, after about 2 hours of playing around with Windows 8, I've found it pretty easy to use. So far I have been able to find most everything that XP and W7 had (and that I use a lot), but things have been moved around. The hardest thing was getting the Microsoft Office suite activated on line.

Last edited:
I agree. Its actually taken me forever to get a hang of Windows 8, but it isn't the nightmare it originally was in the beginning. I do have a problem with my documents freezing more though, which is sort of a pain while I'm writing.

For those who like Windows 8, how many of you have a touchscreen computer and how many use a mouse?

I use both mouse and touch screen depending on what is more convenient or how I feel. But when the button selections are too close to each other for my fingers, I use the mouse. I have a 10.9" touch screen - a bigger screen will make the buttons farther apart. My netbook came also with a touchpad which I can not get used to so I have that disabled.

I agree. Its actually taken me forever to get a hang of Windows 8, but it isn't the nightmare it originally was in the beginning. I do have a problem with my documents freezing more though, which is sort of a pain while I'm writing.
That's more likely to be a hardware, networking or application related problem than a problem with the operating system. I experience something similar with Adobe Reader (on Windows 7). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it several times, but sometimes something gets corrupted that the application software developer didn't anticipate, and therefore the only way to remedy the problem is to wipe the disk and start over from scratch.

After reading this thread I have decided to wait a bit longer for Windows 8.1. I like the fingerprint recognition for log in to view my accounts windows 8.1 will provide.

Last edited:
Two relative cheap add on programs can make life much easier for many. They cost $4.99 each and can be purchased on line from www.stardock.com. One is called Start8 and the other one (which is not totally necessary but nice) is called Modern Mix. With both of these you can be on the desktop all of the time. There is a fairly good publication by Microsoft for Windows 8 (in it as Adobe pdf file) and can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/about/mspreview/windows8/Windows8_RP_Product_guide.pdf

Back
Top Bottom