Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My thought is... "When will Win 7 no longer be supported?"

I'm still on Win XP.
Me too. On a 7 year old laptop.

If it ain't broken...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That's been my MO all along too. I've never paid to upgrade an OS yet, and I bought my first PC on 1981 with CP/M.
My brain stopped reading right there. I thought, "Man this Midpack guy is still running CP/M. Wow!"

That would be quite an accomplishment.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras
I'd consider Win 8 for a tablet or something. There really won't be a choice. I'd stick with Win 7 for a true desktop. That's MHO. If you have a desktop now running Win 7, I see no good reason to update at all.

For a laptop, it depends how you use it. If you are just diddling around with it and not hooking up printers and doing business-like activities, Win 8 is probably OK. However, if you are going to be printing a lot and dealing with documents, I don't recommend Win 8 at all -- at least from the preview I saw. Win 8 wants to act like a phone. You don't hook printers up to your phone. Q.E.D.
This was my line of thinking as well. I have a laptop, which I use primarily to do work from home so having the capability to print docs is very important.

Originally, the laptop had Vista which I absolutely hated and we upgraded to Win 7. I'm kind of hoping that Win 8 is a dud (just like Vista) :-)
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #24

No plans to move to Win 8. What for? Win 7 does what I want and is stable.

Of course, this is the guy who didn't move to Win 7 until I couldn't find tax software that would run on Win 98.

So my next upgrade will probably be about Windows 12 or 14. I'm pretty sure there will never be a Windows 13 just like hotels don't have a 13th floor.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #25

The PC I bought back in January has Windows-7, replacing an old XP system I first got in late 2001 just after that OS came out. That old system was not working well in part to hardware issues (i.e. RAM) but I am happy to report that Win-7 was not tough to get used to. All but one of my legacy programs run on Win-7 and that one has a suitable replacement in Win-7.

A friend of mine is waiting for Win-8 to come out before he buys a new PC to replace his old, XP-system. He doesn't do as much with his PC as I do with mine but his has been very slow and prone to viruses (which he has me coming over every month or so to fix).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #26

Both MS and Apple are getting into the idea of making their desktop/laptop computer OS more and more like their smartphone and tablet OS. I'm no Luddite and I'm not one to resist technological change but that is a trend I'm not liking. It feels like they are trying to force everyone into using tablets and smartphones for everything, but sometimes I want the full sized keyboard and large display.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Both MS and Apple are getting into the idea of making their desktop/laptop computer OS more and more like their smartphone and tablet OS. I'm no Luddite and I'm not one to resist technological change but that is a trend I'm not liking. It feels like they are trying to force everyone into using tablets and smartphones for everything, but sometimes I want the full sized keyboard and large display.
To borrow a phrase from a long time ago, it is a "MegaTrend". The trend in everything these days is "less but more".
  • Less quality, but more music: MP3s have substandard quality, but you can pass them around or buy for a buck.
  • Less function, but more apps: Apps versus desktop programs.
  • Less to say, but more frequently: Twitter versus email or blogging.
Etc. So, the interface just echos the trend.

I could blather on a lot more about this, but I'll just start sounding old.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #28

I first saw the metro UI when I was at a friends house last spring. He writes technical "how to" books for less than technical folks. So he's always running very early versions of beta software to get a handle on how it works, ahead of the release. He suggested that the metro UI was going to freak people out till they figured out how to get back to the desktop. I suspect he's right.

He has to be an early adopter - it's his job. And he has to be the guy who figures out how to do stuff without the instructions... again, part of his job. An interesting career. It would frustrate the crud out of me. I get very annoyed with large paradigm shifts in UI design.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
He suggested that the metro UI was going to freak people out till they figured out how to get back to the desktop. I suspect he's right.
Yes it will. But once you find the tricks, it is easy to go back.

What really bugged me and freaked me out was the desktop was "almost" like it was before, but just enough was missing to be maddening. That's what convinced me that Win 8 is not sufficient for desktops.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #30

A new generation is now coming into software development, people who were not around before things like windows and pull-down menus. They did not experience first-hand the struggle of computer life without such UI elements, so it does not surprise me now to see a drift away from those standards.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No plans to move to Win 8. What for? Win 7 does what I want and is stable......
+1
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #32

We tend to stick with whatever comes with a machine when we order or buy one, until it dies and we have to get a whole new machine. Currently running Vista (without problems) with Office '07.

We've discussed going from one shared desktop machine to individual notebooks, but I've always liked having a substantial keyboard (I have sausages where other people have fingers) and large screen.

Sounds like we may be in for some significant culture shock next time around....

Tyro
Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #33

I heard about a joke-contest for a new Twitter campaign for Windows 8. I submitted the following:

"W8 for Windows 9"

Somehow I doubt Microsoft will use it. :-)
Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
We tend to stick with whatever comes with a machine when we order or buy one, until it dies and we have to get a whole new machine. Currently running Vista (without problems) with Office '07.

We've discussed going from one shared desktop machine to individual notebooks, but I've always liked having a substantial keyboard (I have sausages where other people have fingers) and large screen.

Sounds like we may be in for some significant culture shock next time around....

Tyro
Many laptops and all-in-one desktop PCs are now featuring touch screen displays to take advantage of Windows 8. Your "sausages" for fingers won't be a problem if your screen size is decent.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
I heard about a joke-contest for a new Twitter campaign for Windows 8. I submitted the following:

"W8 for Windows 9"

Took me a second, then LOL! Well done!

-ERD50
Old 10-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Many laptops and all-in-one desktop PCs are now featuring touch screen displays to take advantage of Windows 8. Your "sausages" for fingers won't be a problem if your screen size is decent.
I see people try to swipe non-touch screens all the time--have done it myself after using my new phone. Pretty funny.

My XP laptop is 6 years old now and its replacement will no doubt have Windows8 (and probably a touch screen ). I'm sure I'll get used to a new OS.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #37

I'm running the latest preview release now, and the app store is more fleshed out, and I'm actually trying some of the Metro/Modern UI apps.

I've been somewhat skeptical of Windows 8, but I'm starting to think this might work. Power users like me will gripe at first about the changes, but we can still do a lot the "old" way. By the time non-power-users are ready to let their rotting WinXP computers go the app market may be fleshed out even more, and the ability to have the same WinRT app run on PC, tablet an phone could turn out to be neat.

For power users, there are two really, really cool things about Win8:
- Hyper-V! In a client OS! (Assuming your CPU supports hardware virtualization.) You can even run Linux under Hyper-V.
- Boot the hardware to a virtual hard drive file instead of the physical drive.

Edit: I just got Gmail working in the Metro/ModernUI app. I didn't realize Google had an Exchange-like push interface available: http://www.neowin.net/news/got-gmail...n-the-mail-app
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Here is a good overview of Windows 8:

Windows 8 Review – Complete Guide To New Features
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
My brain stopped reading right there. I thought, "Man this Midpack guy is still running CP/M. Wow!"

That would be quite an accomplishment.
I'd bet Midpack is running a CP/M emulator under Windoz, and using Wordstar with his Diablo daisy wheel printer. Much nicer typeface than the dot-matrix Epson.

But what he uses for a browser, I couldn't guess. Oh, I got it; his iPhone!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #40

Quote:
That's not a substantial keyboard (it's not a keyboard at all) nor a large (24" or more) screen.

Touchscreens full of fingerprints are like my rear passenger window full of noseprints.