Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Less to say, but more frequently: Twitter versus email or blogging.
Some friends and I were discussing this last week. In the military 25 years ago it was a PITA to send a message up or down the chain--get out a form, load it into the typewriter, put in the special OCR ball, hand-type the message in accordance with the highly prescriptive format, carry it to the Comm Center where it would be scanned and sent--or rejected and you'd start everything again. Because of all this everyone thought long and hard before formally communicating. The phone got used, info shared, and nothing was "on the record" until somebody drafted a message. Because it was a PITA for the sender, a lot less junk got sent. Now, with email, inboxes are loaded with FYI and FYSA info that imposes a significant "cost" on info recipients and reduces time available to do real thinking/work.

Rant off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Looks like Win 8 is trying to make their desktop a tablet instead of a PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I really didn't appreciate my computer trying to act like a phone... Win 8 wants to act like a phone. You don't hook printers up to your phone. Q.E.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Both MS and Apple are getting into the idea of making their desktop/laptop computer OS more and more like their smartphone and tablet OS. I'm no Luddite and I'm not one to resist technological change but that is a trend I'm not liking. It feels like they are trying to force everyone into using tablets and smartphones for everything, but sometimes I want the full sized keyboard and large display.
Is MS making PCs with a big screen behaving like phones because the latter is hot, and they do not want to be left out? Humongous thinggies on the screen for me to tap, although my PC screen is big, high-res and I don't care to see those big rectangles in my face?

Why not complete the transformation and take away the big screen and to use just bitty phone-size displays? How long until businesses take away the large screens and to issue their employees bitty screens, and to have them tapping out documents and reports on the touch screen? Might as well, as that would save their employees the hassle of switching back and forth at work between their smart phone and the PC keyboard where they are supposed to do real work? Now, it is even harder to tell if one is working or playing at his/her desk.

Call me a curmudgeon over this (which I am) if you like, but I fail to see any advantage of turning a big-screen PC into a phone look-alike.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Why not complete the transformation and take away the big screen and to use just bitty phone-size displays?
Please don't give them any ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I'd bet Midpack is running a CP/M emulator under Windoz, and using Wordstar with his Diablo daisy wheel printer. Much nicer typeface than the dot-matrix Epson.

But what he uses for a browser, I couldn't guess. Oh, I got it; his iPhone!
You forgot the 300 baud modem. I remember the first time I encountered a 1200 baud line. I nearly fainted it was so fast.

(P.S. Big Brother is parsing our words. At the top of my screen on ER is an advertisement for Microsoft Surface.)
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Ah, talk about how to relive the good ole days, I just remember one thing.

One should run an 8080 emulator first on a PC. Then, boot up CP/M with it. Then, run Wordstar and other CP/M apps under that like the Adventure game. That would bring tears of nostalgia to a geezer's face. Oh joy!

Here's an 8080 emulator written in C that I found: Toledo 8080 processor emulator. The author won an Award for C obfuscation. Check it out for yourself.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I thought I'd take a peek on how well Windows 8 is received thus far.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Windows 8 System Builder DVD 64-Bit

That's very lukewarm to say the lease.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I see people try to swipe non-touch screens all the time--have done it myself after using my new phone. Pretty funny.

My XP laptop is 6 years old now and its replacement will no doubt have Windows8 (and probably a touch screen ). I'm sure I'll get used to a new OS.
I have XPpro on laptop and desktop. Sticking with it.

When I start to use whiteout on the monitor, will give up computers alltoghether.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #47

Quote:
I thought I'd take a peek on how well Windows 8 is received thus far.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Windows 8 System Builder DVD 64-Bit

That's very lukewarm to say the lease.
Thanks for the link... the reviews ARE less than sparkling, for sure.

The future seems hazy at best. Will it all be touch screen? The tablet is too small and difficult for me...Arthritis and neuropathy, while not debilitating for most things, gets that way when playing with a 7 or 10 inch screen... Vision has a lot to do with this too.

After many years (even before Windows) of running every program I could get my hands on, am now mostly into browsing and reading "stuff" online.

Believe that for me, it's time to wait until it all goes to Google Glasses, and a neurologically controlled operating system...

I keep one computer alive with Windows 3.11, and still have a Hayes 300 modem. Now, if I can just find someone who is still running a bulletin board.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #48

I guess I'm in the minority around here. I just installed Windows 8 Pro. I had to upgrade Quicken to 2013 to install on Windows 8. Upgraded from Vista, so I have to reinstall all of my software.

I think I would agree with the reviews on Amazon. It will be OK and the machine and apps seem faster than when running Vista. Quicken is much faster starting up. So far I don't mind the Metro/Desktop interface. It will take some getting used to. It would be pretty neat to have a tablet with the same look and feel. That will have to wait for a while.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recently upgraded to Win 8. In fact, I got a new touch screen "all in one" PC with no tower. Pretty slick really. I'm a visual person so I love that you can create colorful "tile blocks" of files and apps. I have my tiles organized by category, including one section for productivity (calendar, to-dos, music) and another section for creativity (Photoshop, Powerpoint...) and another for metrics (quickbooks, business goals...) It's a nice little dashboard for how I think.

The navigation took a while to get used to, but now I find it pretty zippy and easy to use. For the first week it just ticked me off.

SIS
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm looking forward to buying the MS tablet in January that has the full-blown version of Windows 8. I use a Kindle Fire now and find myself using a computer less and less. A tablet that will run my spreadsheets is what I've been waiting for. Sitting at a desk to access the Internet seems so un-user friendly anymore.

I never thought it could come to this...but I may have already bought my last desktop or laptop computer. If I were still working I might feel differently but for what I need anymore a tablet seems the way to go. So, if Windows 8 on the new Surface will really run Excel and Word I'm all set.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolowl View Post
I'm looking forward to buying the MS tablet in January that has the full-blown version of Windows 8. I use a Kindle Fire now and find myself using a computer less and less. A tablet that will run my spreadsheets is what I've been waiting for. Sitting at a desk to access the Internet seems so un-user friendly anymore.

I never thought it could come to this...but I may have already bought my last desktop or laptop computer. If I were still working I might feel differently but for what I need anymore a tablet seems the way to go. So, if Windows 8 on the new Surface will really run Excel and Word I'm all set.
The iPad Numbers app for $10 can handle all but the most sophisticated Excel spreadsheets. I moved several of my spreadsheets with linked graphs and some pretty elaborate functions beginning a year ago, and I haven't found one it couldn't handle yet. Very few people use more than 10% of Excel's full capability.

Nothing against the Surface/Ultrabooks and Win8, just sayin you can do it now...

I suspect I'm working on my last desktop too. Right now we have a desktop, a laptop, an iPad, 3 iPods and two semi-smartphones (slow browsing & few apps). I expect I'll have a router at home, a laptop & a (hotspot) smartphone when all is said and done. As much as I love my iPad, a laptop might be better than a desktop & tablet. Fun times (really)...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #52

Quote:
My thought is... "When will Win 7 no longer be supported?"

I'm still on Win XP.
I went from Windows 98 to Mac OS X. I like to get my money's worth out of an operating system and a computer.

At work I just went form fc15 to fc16, but the terminal window bug is still there.

The Windows bit of Windows 8 looks as if it has some nice features and could have been a good iteration, but grafting the tile interface on to of it just makes it more complicated and hence annoying than it needs to be. The graphical design looks nice, but the structure of it is a disaster.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #53
Confused about dryer sheets

I went all in on Windows 8 at the beginning of November. Upgraded my desktop from Vista, bought a Windows 8 tablet and upgraded to a Windows Phone 8. It was frustrating for the first week or so, as I had to figure out how to do simple things like close windows that I was working in or open non-live tile programs like Office. I stuck with it, and after about 3 weeks, I am really happy with it.

All of my devices work together, because of the cloud-nature of Windows 8 and Skydrive. I can take work photos while out in the field on my phone and then pull them up on my computer without doing any sort of transfer (they are uploading to the cloud while I am driving home). I can also work on the same documents and check my same email accounts using my tablet as when I use my desktop, and they will be updated on both, so work is more easily portable. Previously, I had to save documents over from one machine to the other before being able to use them on another device.

Overall, I would say be prepared for a frustrating transition, but if you are somewhat up on mobile technology, like smart phones and tablets, and have some decent skill with computers, it will all come together after a week or so. The one recommendation I would make - backup EVERYTHING before you make the swap. The Windows 8 upgrade package says it will retain your programs and documents, and for the most part, it did. However, there were a few programs that I could never find, and had to re-install from backup on my external hard drive.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

My laptop was running Vista and it died, I loaded Windows 7 iso and it ran better than it ever did with Vista... It used to run very hot, not so with Win 7

I didn't want to buy Win 7 though, I went with Win 8 pro for $39.99 and it's just like Win 7 except for the goofy "Metro" crap...

Most of that can be turned off or ignored though and there are more than a few simple programs out there that will add the Win 7 start menu...

Just Goog "get windows 7 start menu in windows 8" and there are plenty of options to fix it

Im hoping MS will put out an update that will allow desktop users to run the win 7 old school interface and I believe eventually they will...

So far though I like it and I just fixed another dead PC that Vista killed with Win 8 for $40.00

I've found it much easier to run my home wireless network with Win 8...
Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still using XP Pro with MS Office 2003. I have an Ipad and It would be nice to have them sync like in a tablet - computer - phone (still using a BlackBerry and still liking it). On my Ipad I have Docs To Go, Documents and DropBox. Anyone have something that is closer to gold old Office for Word, Excel and PowerPoint? Whenever I used a new computer OS, I usually (and it was time) bought a new computer pre-loaded with the OS. Just when I am soooo used to XP ... sigh
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Anyone have something that is closer to gold old Office for Word, Excel and PowerPoint?
Did you try (Apache) Open Office? It is free and simple to use.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I stumbled on a Windows store (at Oakbrook for Chicago folks) today. So I walked in and played with a Windows phone and a laptop running full Windows 8. I hoped no one would come over to help me, to see if I could figure out the OS without any assistance. I consider myself middle of the road WRT technology, not a coding whiz bang but not a technophobe/resistant to change type either. Both the phone and the laptop were completely intuitive to me, I had no problem navigating my way around either, so they seem perfectly workable to me.

I may not buy either since Microsoft is so far behind Apple, Google, etc. and they may have already missed their opportunity to capture significant market share. OTOH, their massive Corp installed base may save them, so we'll see. But I didn't see anything wrong with the new Windows OS approaches so if they capture market share, I'd be fine owning into their mobile eco-system.

I've read lots of users are thrown because there's no start button. I don't get that, there's a home button right on the keyboard like always...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote