Join Early Retirement Today

Windows Rant
Old 11-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Windows Rant

As I'm sitting here now at about 10 hours of work trying to restore my backups, I can't help but be frustrated by the people who designed windows. If they'd used the simple concept of modular construction, the biggest frustrations would have been avoided.

Imagine if Windows worked like this:

1. The windows operating system goes in a single folder. Nothing other than a windows update ever changes any of the files in that folder. If any files are damaged, you just copy the OS files back to that directory. There is no 45 minute Windows setup, you just copy the files.

2. Any application is simply copied to a directory. All of it's files including any settings files, are in that one directory. If you get a new machine, you just copy the directory to the new machine.

3. There are no device drivers. All peripherals respond to a set of commands defined by the OS. You get a new DVD drive, you plug it in, and it works, no "Found new hardware" and searching for drivers.

Yes, there are some big drawbacks to this approach. But they are minor compared to the disadvantages of the current system. This would work. I have published some apps that worked as in item 2.

End of Rant
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Windows Rant
Old 11-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like Mac OS9. Long gone now. It lacked modern multitasking but was safer than s%&t, easy to use, back up, copy & restore.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:38 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

"3. There are no device drivers. All peripherals respond to a set of commands defined by the OS. You get a new DVD drive, you plug it in, and it works, no "Found new hardware" and searching for drivers."

Thats more of the companies making the dvd drives and the other peripherals. Cant really blame Microsoft on that one.

Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ahhhhh, the old DOS programs!!! When you could just copy *.* a program to a new computer and have it work. Those were the good old days.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And don't forget plugging in that Centronics plug printer, and having it work.