Join Early Retirement Today

Windshield wiper blades
Old 02-10-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windshield wiper blades

I thought about posting in the current thread about windshield replacement but thatís a bigger topic. I found an older thread with this same title but am guessing itís expired.

My question is pretty basic: my car (SUV) is long past the point of needing new wiper blades. Any recommendations for particular brands? I donít mind spending a little more for something thatís rarely replaced, especially in a warmer climate than the snowy/icy north.

Thanks for any tips!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've been very pleased with the quality of Rain-X blades. Better than others I've used. Most auto parts stores carry them.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

I have switched to silicone wiper blades, currently using Wipe Away brand blades purchased from Amazon. The Florida sun and heat destroys conventional blades relatively quickly, especially on cars parked outside, and so far the silicone blades are still working like new 8 months later. Time will tell if they are worth the extra cost.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #4

Thanks for those and any other comments. For what it's worth, I checked (after posting this thread) Consumer Reports. While they do have a "buyer's guide", I couldn't find any ratings (I am a subscriber). But it might be interesting to others:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...uide/index.htm

Old 02-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

I got some Bosch blades at a local auto parts store and was unable to successfully install them even after watching several YouTube videos showing how to do it - I even broke part of the blade attachment assembly in the process. So I ordered RainX from Amazon and it installed in seconds. YMMV.

They've only been on a few weeks but so far they work great.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've been very pleased with the quality of Rain-X blades. Better than others I've used. Most auto parts stores carry them.
+1 The only ones I use.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just replaced ours with rainx brand. I think the difference between the mid price and the upper are the rubber boots that keep snow and ice from freezing.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a set of Bosch and had no problem installing them. They work very nicely, no streaks and no sound.
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #9

Most seem to be about the same IMO but at the first sign of trouble, I change them out. I typically use RainX but that's probably because of availability more than anything else. Actually I apply RainX liquid to the windshield monthly and that helps clear the water away more than the wiper blades. (IMO)

Changing out wiper blades (or the entire arm assembly) is like anything else. Simple once you know how.
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #10

I get Trico

TRICO Exact Fitģ: Original Factory Quality | TRICOģ Windshield Wipers

I got my last set here:

https://www.wiperbladesusa.com/
Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

One thing I recall from delivering auto parts as a kid, many auto parts come out of the same factory in different packages. I'm not sure about blades.

Walker made the best pipes, mufflers and clamps. They also shipped us products with Sears, Kmart, NAPA, labels too.
Windshield wiper blades
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #12

Windshield wiper blades

Thanks again for the feedback (mostly positive regarding brands). Iíll keep reading here and head out to grab a new pair this week. My vehicle uses different sizes for driver and passenger side; it also has the rear wiper but thatís less of a concern.

One takeaway for me is that Iíve been WAY too delinquent on this. I think the CR guide overdoes it in terms of frequency though. Best to judge for yourself if youíre in danger of whacking a deer due to poor visibility.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I buy mine at Menards, they have them free after rebate once or twice a year.
I change them out roughly once per year, I don't care what brand they are.

I once got the rubber covered type as they are supposed to be better for winter, but I didn't find that to be true, as I'm going to lift and slap down the blades when clearing ice/snow off windshield.
I once started my wipers without lifting and slapping down the blade, and the blades were frozen to the glass, so the wiper motor link broke and I had no wipers that day
Old 02-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
My vehicle uses different sizes for driver and passenger side; it also has the rear wiper but thatís less of a concern.
If the blades come as a pair of the same size, then so what? You then have a set in storage for the next time you need to replace them.

For me, I want a blade that doesn't streak, doesn't squeak, and doesn't chatter in the cold.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bosch - they are awesome - sturdy, and durable. Only a little more expensive, but just buy them on Amazon and you can easily replace on your own. I purchased them the past few times and won't use anything else.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

No recommendations as to brand, but the last time I bought wiper blades I bought them online from Advance Auto Parts because they had online only sales. I chose in-store pickup, went up a half hour later, and had them install the wipers. Saved $7 vs. having just gone in the store to purchase.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
If the blades come as a pair of the same size, then so what? You then have a set in storage for the next time you need to replace them.

For me, I want a blade that doesn't streak, doesn't squeak, and doesn't chatter in the cold.
Any I've seen are sold individually.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I go to a drive through oil change place called "Five Minute Oil Change". They point out to me when my wiper blades need changing, if I don't point it out to them first. They change my wiper blades for me.

I don't remember what brand they use but the wiper blades are perfect. I just sit in my Venza like the Queen of Sheba, chatting with F while we sip on the free diet Cokes that they bring to us, and let the peons do the work.

I used to change my own wiper blades and I am probably the least competent person imaginable at doing it. You would not believe how badly someone can mess up a simple task like that. We all have our areas of competence and that isn't one of mine.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Any I've seen are sold individually.

Yes, thatís my expectation too.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I go to a drive through oil change place called "Five Minute Oil Change". They point out to me when my wiper blades need changing, if I don't point it out to them first. They change my wiper blades for me.

I don't remember what brand they use but the wiper blades are perfect. I just sit in my Venza like the Queen of Sheba, chatting with F while we sip on the free diet Cokes that they bring to us, and let the peons do the work.

Luxurious! I have this vision of Bourbon Street but I think thatís mostly people walking and not so much Diet Coke. But what do I know?