Windsor vs Half Windsor knot

bank5

Recycles dryer sheets
What do you prefer? I've always gone with the half.

I've heard that a full windsor is good if you want to draw attention to yourself (interviews, giving presentations, etc). However, I think a lot has to do with your suit style and body type.

I was in Men's Wearhouse last night and the same question to the sales associate. Without hesitation he replied "half-windsor". I asked over a full and he replied "You have the Hugo Boss suit right? With that suit and your body type, half everytime"

I am with you. Full windsor is too big for me.

What do you prefer? I've always gone with the half.

I've heard that a full windsor is good if you want to draw attention to yourself (interviews, giving presentations, etc). However, I think a lot has to do with your suit style and body type.

I was in Men's Wearhouse last night and the same question to the sales associate. Without hesitation he replied "half-windsor". I asked over a full and he replied "You have the Hugo Boss suit right? With that suit and your body type, half everytime"

Does Men's Wearhouse sell Hugo Boss suits?

I think the saleman is correct. The Hugo Boss look is very narrow; the relatively narrow look of the half Windsor is better suited to it. When I was in high school we liked the ghetto look- really wide, single button suit jackets, Mr. B collars (after Billy Eckstine) on pink or helio shirts, suede shoes and you know a full Windsor knot. I remember practicing until I could tie it when I was about 14. I could still tie it in my sleep. For long time the knot on my tie was bigger than my dates' boobs.

BTW, I can also tie my own bow tie, as can both my sons. None of us would be caught dead wearing one, except with a tux.

"What's the word? Thunderbird! What's the price? Thirty twice!"

Ha

Depends on the thickness of the fabric of the tie, I think. Real heavy ties almost require a half Windsor.

I always tie a full Windsor but don't have too many bulky ties.

My favorite style is a NO-Windsor, which I hope to start using in the near future. It goes well with shorts and a tee shirt.

I'm not sure. Which one do they use on the clip-ons?

I always used a half windsor, but not because of looks. I have a long torso, so unless the tie was exceptionally long a full windsor would leave me with a short tie. Also, with the style of suits that were around during my suit-wearing w*rking days (long ago), the thinner lapels looked much better with the slimmer half windsor. I'm completely out of touch these days with suit styles, though.

Does Men's Wearhouse sell Hugo Boss suits?

No, I got the suit at Nordstrom but the sales associate remembered me because I was deciding between that suit and a Calvin Klein one at Men's Wearhouse. The customer service of this sales associate is the best I've ever seen.

I think the saleman is correct. The Hugo Boss look is very narrow; the relatively narrow look of the half Windsor is better suited to it.

Yeah, this guy really seems to know his stuff. My wife and I are amazed how he can pick out things that we would have never picked out. Once I try the things on though, we usually love the look.

When I was in high school we liked the ghetto look- really wide, single button suit jackets, Mr. B collars (after Billy Eckstine) on pink or helio shirts, suede shoes and you know a full Windsor knot. I remember practicing until I could tie it when I was about 14. I could still tie it in my sleep. For long time the knot on my tie was bigger than my dates' boobs.

That's awesome :LOL::LOL: You must have been a lady killer back then rocking that look when you went out on dates.

I always wear a half windsor because I have a relatively long torso (and short legs). When I was younger I learned how to tie the full windsor but rarely ever use it these days.

Last year, I changed the dress code for summer for my unit of megacorp for everyone but the outside sales folks when they are actually outside. It was so popular that we changed it to year-round when the Autumn came. We are now business casual, so my favorite sales guy at Men's Wearhouse is not getting much business from me these days (he really knows his stuff though). I wear a suit maybe twice a week now...only when out with the troops on customer visits. Can't wait to trade-in the corporate attire (even bus-casual) for shorts and t-shirts though...

R

What's a tie?

A noose like device. Self installed. Constricts blood flow to brain, inhibiting clear thinking about retirement. Only had one j*b in early twenties requiring such torture device.

The discussion of variety of Windsors reminds me of being held in full or half nelson. :D

Are there any wizards here that can do it without a mirror. I can not!!

Are there any wizards here that can do it without a mirror. I can not!!
I'm no wizard but wearing a tie every day to work for 25+ years - yeah, I can do it blindfolded. My dad, OTOH, could not tie it if he was wearing it, mirror or not - had to tie it around the bedpost, then slip it on over his head...

Last edited:
For those of us who are considering putting on a tie just after our morning coffee (which my Dad did for his entire adult life including 25 years of retirement) here is a complete guide:

Thomas Fink's Homepage

Ha

A noose like device. Self installed. Constricts blood flow to brain, inhibiting clear thinking about retirement. Only had one j*b in early twenties requiring such torture device.

The discussion of variety of Windsors reminds me of being held in full or half nelson. :D
Yeah, good thing I didn't have a full breakfast yet 'cause I'm about to lose my first cuppa-java. Where are the photos? Okay, I'm wearing the Hawaiian design today. I was one of the lucky ones, my company went to "casual Friday" attire every day starting in May 2001* so I had a sort of clothing semi-retirement.

*Second most memorable work anniversary.

With my 17.5 x 35 shirt size, most ties are only long enough for a half-windsor.To me, nothing looks goofier than a short tie on a big guy... ;)

Ha got it right, it is not how big your knot is, but how you use it... :D

With my 17.5 x 35 shirt size, most ties are only long enough for a half-windsor.To me, nothing looks goofier than a short tie on a big guy... ;)

We are the same shirt size. When you retire, I will buy the shirts you aren't going to wear anymore, only the ones in good shape.......:D

Ha got it right, it is not how big your knot is, but how you use it... :D

Funny how almost every thread disintegrates into locker room debauchery.........:LOL:

We are the same shirt size. When you retire, I will buy the shirts you aren't going to wear anymore, only the ones in good shape.......:D

What is ironic is that the bell-bottom pants I wore in my teens have now been replaced by bell-bottom shirts... :LOL:

Then, the next thing you know all the women will be posting on this thread!:D

From Caddyshack: :D

Lacey Underall: "I bet you've got a lot of nice ties".
Ty Webb: "How do you mean? "
Lacey Underall: "Would you like to tie me up with some of your ties, Ty? "

Then, the next thing you know all the women will be posting on this thread!:D

I don't think women care about the size of the knot, maybe the size of the wallet..........:LOL::whistle:

How else can Donald Trump get such gorgeous women, certainly not his looks.........:ROFLMAO:

AHA - the clubhouse door opened a crack....heeheehee :D
I view ties the same way I do bras - optional except for formal dress up ocassions or public image issues.
Ok, I'm gone. :greetings10:

I view underwear the same way you view bras.........;)

Back
Top Bottom