Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I drink wine out of bottles without a screw cap.

That said, I've found many wines in the $8-$15 range that were plenty good enough for my palate. Plus, after a couple of glasses, I don't care so much...

I think I have a relatively sensitive olfactory system, but when people start talking about hints of boysenberry, oak, and truffle, my eyes glaze over, to mix metaphors. I get a hint of this or that, but the alcohol seems to overwhelm most other scents. Not that it's a bad thing.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Now that I live in a wine producing area, I get to taste and purchase the best stuff at the winery before it goes to market.

About a year ago, I was having dinner in Montreal when a friend who was a wine buff insisted on buying us a bottle of "the best French wine" at an exorbitant price. It was crap. (I kept my mouth shut).

I guess I'm spoiled for choice...
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Merry Christmas! Help!

The Rabbit Wine Aerator appeared under the Christmas tree, but there are no instructions. Nor can I find a demo on the Net.

We would much rather admit our ignorance and get a solution, than pretend we're not ignorant and confirm the fact! Which end of this thing is supposed to go in the bottle
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Did you see this one?

Old 12-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Hold it over a wine glass, small end down, and pour the wine in the big end?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Hold it over a wine glass, small end down, and pour the wine in the big end?
that's how mine works. also received one for christmas. need to try it more to see if i notice a difference, but it does make a cool sound while the wine is flowing through it...
Old 12-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #27

Does it make an alarm sound to wake you up after the wine has finished decanting? Good grief, that's slow.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
that's how mine works. also received one for christmas. need to try it more to see if i notice a difference, but it does make a cool sound while the wine is flowing through it...
Yeah, it does make a cool sound. For a long while we jokingly called ours "the guzzler".

Difference? When we first got one (a gift) about 2 years ago we did a taste test on a newly opened bottle of wine, and we could taste a difference and the aerated wine tasted better. I guess that's why we still use it when we first open a bottle of wine.

Audrey
Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Did you see this one?
It looks like one I saw recently in a local store for $49.95. No thanks, that seems unnecessarily expensive to me, my LBYM synapses short out. What do all these gizmos do that pouring back and forth a few times wouldn't?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Merry Christmas! Help!

The Rabbit Wine Aerator appeared under the Christmas tree, but there are no instructions. Nor can I find a demo on the Net.

We would much rather admit our ignorance and get a solution, than pretend we're not ignorant and confirm the fact! Which end of this thing is supposed to go in the bottle

If it's the kind that attaches to the bottle, then the small rubber protrusion goes in the bottle, and you pour wine into a glass via the chrome/clear bowl shaped outlet.

I was hoping to get one of those for Christmas, but got new socks and skivvies instead.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Am bumping this thread in order to thank all those who a) recommended using wine aerator and b) instructed me in which end goes into the bottle

We have been using the Rabbit Metrokane aerator since Christmas. It really does make a taste-able difference, and is well worth the $25 price, which I originally thought was a bit steep for something that looks rather flimsy.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
If it's the kind that attaches to the bottle, then the small rubber protrusion goes in the bottle, and you pour wine into a glass via the chrome/clear bowl shaped outlet.

I was hoping to get one of those for Christmas, but got new socks and skivvies instead.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone else tried "hyper decanting?"

Maxime Demonstrates Hyperdecantation | Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking

I've tried with a few really inexpensive reds from Trader Joe's, doing before and after taste tests with friends It really improves them immediately!
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr
Anyone else tried "hyper decanting?"

Maxime Demonstrates Hyperdecantation | Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking

I've tried with a few really inexpensive reds from Trader Joe's, doing before and after taste tests with friends It really improves them immediately!
I'll summarize the video: put zee wine in zee blender and blend fo 20 seconds.

Here's a trick if you don't drink an entire bottle in one night. Next day when it tastes bad make vino casera or sangria by adding a little wine to 7up.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'll summarize the video: put zee wine in zee blender and blend fo 20 seconds.

Here's a trick if you don't drink an entire bottle in one night. Next day when it tastes bad make vino casera or sangria by adding a little wine to 7up.
The wine doesn't taste bad the next day. All you have to do is stopper it. Preferably with a vacuum type stopper.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The wine doesn't taste bad the next day. All you have to do is stopper it. Preferably with a vacuum type stopper.
Agreed audreyh1 - I can't recall any wine, red or white, going bad in a few days if simply stoppered and refrigerated.

Here's some expert opinion:

Finewine - FAQ

Quote:
Q5. How long can I keep wine once I have opened the bottle?
The easiest thing to do is simply recork the bottle, put it in the fridge and drink it within a day or two. It takes a week or so for wine to really start going bad. Letting a bottle sit out for a few days will not ruin it.

Dr. Vinny Frequently Asked Questions | Ask Dr. Vinny | Wine Spectator

Quote:
How long will my wine last once it's opened?

Oxidation—which begins as soon as the cork is pulled—is the enemy of wine. Refrigeration will slow oxidation, but it doesn't stop it altogether. In the rare instance that there is leftover wine at my house, I can drink an opened bottle for about three days before I start to notice it fading.
We had a bottle of nitrogen for flushing half empty wine bottles. Might have made a slight difference, but I never bought a replacement. Hmmm, I suppose I could use the CO2 from my beer set up, I don't think it would actually carbonate w/o any pressure.

7-Up in Sangria?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

We never notice a drop-off in quality after just 1 day (stoppered bottle, in fridge - we use one of those "vacuum" gadgets the wine stores sell for ~ $5).
After 4+ days, the wine is destined for use in the next skillet meal

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Agreed audreyh1 - I can't recall any wine, red or white, going bad in a few days if simply stoppered and refrigerated.

Here's some expert opinion:

Finewine - FAQ

Dr. Vinny Frequently Asked Questions | Ask Dr. Vinny | Wine Spectator

We had a bottle of nitrogen for flushing half empty wine bottles. Might have made a slight difference, but I never bought a replacement. Hmmm, I suppose I could use the CO2 from my beer set up, I don't think it would actually carbonate w/o any pressure.

7-Up in Sangria?

-ERD50
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We got one of these as a gift in 2008. Works great. Was before the Rabbit was generally available:
Vinturi: Essential Wine Aerator - Home
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #38

We use the Vinturi as well. Works nice. Might have to give the blender trick a whirl though.

Tags
aerator, cheap, lbym, wine