Join Early Retirement Today

Wine recommendations
Old 10-03-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wine recommendations

How about some wine recomendations?
In the winter I usually drink reds so what do you recommend to drink for a glass or two while watching TV or surfing the net.

Right now I'm drinking
Charles Krug '98 Carbernet Sauvingonon $17 (I think) I would recommend it.

So what would you recommend? Don't forget the price

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wine recommendations
Old 10-04-2004, 04:59 AM   #2

Once again I will "ditto" Cut-Throat's endorsement
of Yellowtail wines. It's a bit pricey for my
"every day" wine. Once my wife retires I may
rachet back to "Ripple"

John Galt
Old 10-04-2004, 05:49 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the fun things I do during some of my free time is make my own wine. The most expensive wine I have ever made was cabernet at a cost of $2 a bottle, but I don't make it for the low cost. I make it because I enjoy the process. If you have a fruit tree in your back yard, like pears or peaches, you can make wine at pennies a bottle. It only takes a small amount of start up expenses (under $100) and anyone can do it.
A good free resource is http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
Old 10-04-2004, 07:49 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Home made Elderberry wine for Thanksgiving was a big deal in the Pacific NW growing up. Store bought didn't count. There were informal judging contests (heh, heh) as to which friend/relative made the best.

As to beer - the SO put the ki-bosch on my Bier House International over fifteen years ago: "It stinks up the house (1100 sq ft) and haven't you noticed that you are the only one who drinks it."
Old 10-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

Parducci Petite Sirah '00

9 Bucks. This winery has produced consistently good Petite Syrah's for decades. You should try this. DW and I have spent entire adventure tours just trying all the other P.S. wines because of our Parducci experience. Their Winery is located way up north of Santa Rosa, CA, not particularly near anything, but worth the trip. Available everywhere and of course through the wonders of mail order. It is the only wine of which we have EVER bought an entire case! (that lowered the price under $7 per bottle) Every year we've tried is good, not just the double ought.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:25 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just picked up a case of the Yellow Tail - 3 bottles of each @ 6.50 including tax - I'll let you know what I think after I've tried a bottle.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I agree that Yellow Tail is a very good value. For those of us with a frugal bent, and reasonably close to a Trader Joe's, Charles Shaw is great. I like their Shiraz and Sauvignon Blanc.

One of the great adventures in my life was exploring the Australian wine country in a camper-van in celebration of my 60th!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
For those of us with a frugal bent, and reasonably close to a Trader Joe's, Charles Shaw is great.
aka 2 buck chuck in California, 3 buck chuck in the northeast.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:17 AM   #9

I don't drink much red but for Chardonay I'd recommend Santa Marvista Reserva 2003 for $3.50 for everyday. Sebastiani Sonoma County 2001 is a good dinner wine for $9.

K. B. Sharkstooth
Old 10-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Wine Report - Yellow Tail 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon
1st bottle - I'm a convert on the CS as a daily drinker.
Fairly smooth, dry, on the light side, a bit young.
Not for when the company is over but I will buy more.

More reviews to come
Old 10-06-2004, 06:57 PM   #11

Still basking in pre-ER largess. Beringer cab sauv is just under $20 for 1.5 liter. Mrs. BUM and I try not to kill the whole bottle in one evening. Sometimes we do! After ER i'll be haunting the bargain bins.

BUM
Old 10-09-2004, 06:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Wine Report - Yellow Tail 2003 Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon
2nd bottle - I like this better than the Cabernet Savignon. Light and smooth - it doesn't have that "young" taste of the CS
A good buy for the price
Two other verities to try.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We open no box before its time, and it's all been quite good when we did .
Old 10-09-2004, 08:36 PM   #14

What's a good box wine and who carries it? I usually get my wine at Costco, and so far I haven't seen any boxes there (which seems odd for a big-box store).

I love the idea of a wine that will still stay good for more than a day after being opened, and boxes seem like they'd fair better than bottles.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Franzia Chillable Red house wine seems to please most of the red wine drinkers in the family, and we have widely different tastes in wine. Give it a try.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:08 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Franzia Chillable Red house wine seems to please most of the red wine drinkers in the family, and we have widely different tastes in wine. Give it a try. It's at most grocery stores around here.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:55 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Black box and delicato are both considered as good as any mid-priced bottle wine.

The cheapos at the supermarket are not that good but they're comparable to any two-buck-chuck type wines.

I've liked the Corbett Canyon merlot in the 3 liter box. Their whites arent too bad.

I've noticed the "better" wines tend to come in a 3 liter box while the cheaper ones come in 5 liter boxes.

The Corbett Canyon is a regular here at our household. I use it for cooking and occasionally even drink it with a meal.

If i'm going upscale a little, I do like the Yellowtail's that Cut-Throat originally turned me on to. The local sams club now carries a variety of theirs for under $6 for a 1.5l bottle.

If you have a trader joes nearby, try their charles shaw Shiraz. It recently was named as a top wine in america in a blind taste testing. The broad set of tasters were so appalled that they chose a two buck chuck wine that they thought their reputations would be ruined. I've tried it. Its pretty darn good.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont..._1n17wine.html

Wine is a different business now. The low end has really, really improved. I live within a few hours of most of the larger 'wine country' areas. I've noticed that almost all the farms are now growing wine grapes to some degree. There was a news spot on the other night talking to smaller farmers who are giving up carrots and tomatoes for wine grapes and making a lot more money.

So any talk of the 'wine glut' ending and the end of the supercheap wines is whistling past the graveyard if you ask me...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I can second Black Box, especially the Charonnay. The Banrock Station boxes are pretty decent, too.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:05 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

My understanding is that Whole Paycheck, er, Foods now carries boxed wine from Australia. I think Banrock Station, not sure.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:48 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Depends on where you are. Here in the land of excessive regulation (NJ), supermarkets can't sell evil, pernicious wine.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote