Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Wins the Lottery but Still on Food Stamps!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wins the Lottery but Still on Food Stamps!

Good Grief...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/n...medium=twitter
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #2

I saw that on the news yesterday. Heard on the radio this morning that she was cut off.

That's the kind of stuff that aggrevates me. If they could cut out the corruption of people working the system (greedy politicians, people getting benefits they shouldn't, etc. etc.) there would be no debt crisis and no need to keep adding on taxes. <sigh>
Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I predict this thread will end badly piggishly.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

These programs are designed with the best of intentions and many people use them responsibly... but sadly there is no doubt that they breed a disease-like attitude of "I deserve it... because"

makes me sick to think of the number of people out there collecting food stamps and unemployment because they can... and not because they need to. It's one thing to be helped at a time of need, another entirely to mold your life around benefits (the whole... "if I got a job, I'd be getting less than unemployment" attitude needs to stop, but unfortunately the current legislation makes it nearly impossible to differentiate those who need and those who just choose or want these benefits.

Her comment of “because I’m not working... it’s hard. I’m struggling.” to justify using the card is a perfect example of this.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

I'd be willing to bet this woman will be broke within 2 years and back in these programs... based on her comments it appears dependance has been programmed into her brain... having her own money is probably uncomfortable for her and she'll find a quickest way possible to lose it all so she can go back to what she knows.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Small potatoes. The entities really working the system are far larger and guzzle far more from the public trough than this small time con could even imagine.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 03-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

What happened to clawbacks?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, the poor woman does have two houses to pay for.

Quote:
"I feel that it's OK because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay," Clayton told the station. "I have two houses . . . I'm struggling."
Old 03-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Well, the poor woman does have two houses to pay for.

all you need is a few hundred bucks... ok maybe just a few thousand

Homes $10k and under in Flint, MI - Great Investment Homes - RE/MAX Select

sort by low to high price and you'll see a few homes going to under $10
Old 03-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My community may not be typical, but I doubt that most recipients are sharp enough to "work the system". Many come upon these benefits through referrals to the county mental health department, where a social worker enrolls them in these programs. These government employees justify their jobs, by keeping as many as possible on these subsidies.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The state should deduct her dole payments from the past from her winnings. She should not be allowed to get any state aid, the fact she would try shows how little character she has.

Not too long ago this came up somewhere else. I forget which state but the guy was allowed to continue to collect welfare despite winning a lottery of considerable size (at least 1 million). I can't recall why but there was a loophole and he refused to stop taking the welfare check. Another slob with no class, no dignity.
Closed Thread