Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Winter missed us this year
Old 02-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Winter missed us this year

With one more day until March, it seems as if we've missed the winter of 2015-2016. So far, a total of about 5 inches of snow since March 2015, and none that lasted more than 2 days.

When we moved to the Chicago area in December 1978, there were four feet of snow on the level, and it lasted until April 1979. Now we live about 80 miles away, and 37 years later... the temperature today was 67 here in Peru, IL. Our HOA snow crew hasn't even used their snow throwers, instead, using leaf blowers to keep the dustings off the driveways.

It was so nice today, that I rolled out my bike and went to Baker Park... our next door park/walking-biking trail/lake that is a quarter mile from my house. The sun was out... the lake was beautiful and I was gliding along when I looked to my right and saw... a dog... standing still, and looking at me. Now, the park is supposed to be off-limit to dogs, so I looked around for the owner. Wait... wait... that's not a dog... I think it's a coyote. What the...! He's just staring at me... not moving... just a few twitches of the tail...
I looked around and saw a family walking the trail... coming toward me... Mom, dad, two small kids walking and a baby carriage... As they neared, I held my hand up to stop them... maybe to warn of the danger. "I don't know if it's a dog or a coyote, but maybe you should be careful".

Credit to the family... they didn't laugh. "Oh yes... there are more of them around the lake." Now I looked around, and sure enough there were several more that I could see.

I mean... these critters looked as real as I can believe. Different positions, looking left, right, head up, head down. I mean really real!.

Now... one more thing... The geese are out. Walking around... not to close to the coyotes, but then not flying away.

So here's the answer:
http://newstrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubsectionID=27&ArticleID=474 90

If the link is paywalled, Google "Baker Park Peru Coyotes".

The pic is from the Newspaper article, taken last fall.

So it's still nice out, and I'm going out for another ride before it gets dark.

Used to was we went to Florida in the winter. Now, it doesn't look as if we need to.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Used to was we went to Florida in the winter. Now, it doesn't look as if we need to.
Here in Minnesota, it was warmer than usual too. Not much snow either. If this is global warming, I am all for it.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Here in Minnesota, it was warmer than usual too. Not much snow either. If this is global warming, I am all for it.
Yup, I think it'll be wonderful. Just imagine when all of Siberia and Northern Canada actually become habitable! There is actually an enormous amount of land in the far northern hemisphere that has not been really hospitable to mankind in the past...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

I always thought Spring didn't start until the equinox (3/21?) But a quick google shows there are multiple methods / dates for the start of spring. Astrological using equinox and solstice and meteorological seasons - which start on beginning of calendar months.

Defining seasons

That said - we've had temps in the mid 70's to low 80's for the past several weeks. I was hoping El Niño meant that we'd get lots of rain - not so much this winter. The only sign of winter (and El Niño) is the oversize surf, higher tides than normal, and beach sand erosion.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

80 F in Houston today. We had no winter at all. Azalea's are blooming in my front yard today.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Phoenix has had a record number of days in February with high temps over 80 degrees. Something like 18 or 19 days with a previous record of 16.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here in the Southwest, it's been ridiculously warm too. The high is 85F today, 13 degrees above normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
It may be hell to pay this summer. You will regret it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It has definitely been a mild winter in the Detroit area. It does not seem at all like it is nearly March because there has not been enough of the usual winter experince to really be here yet. It feels more like it is still only December.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Circa 1967, I guy I knew, threw in with an ever-expanding sporting goods retailer, was put in charge of a large new store, mortgaged to the hilt, ski & winter sports equipment everywhere.

No snow.

Warm winter.

Tango Uniform.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Forsythia is blooming, as are several varieties of trees. We had bouts of sleet yesterday, but I ventured out during a lull to prune our rose bushes. Saw a bunch of other spring plants pushing their way through the mulch. I've hardly even scraped my windshield up here in Tacoma all winter.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #11

We had 3 snow events, but one was 30 inches.

I would have been able to swim all winter if the swim spa wasn't disabled for a month due to a broken part.

Not very cold either, except for about a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

In our area we had only a couple of nights where the temp dropped below freezing - and that was only for an hour or two. We'll probably have a bumper crop of bugs this summer.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
.....We'll probably have a bumper crop of bugs this summer.

Ticks will be real bad. I'll probably be in quick care for tick removal several times before May 1.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In our area we had only a couple of nights where the temp dropped below freezing - and that was only for an hour or two. We'll probably have a bumper crop of bugs this summer.
+2. Good time to buy stock in insect repellent companies.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

There is still a snow pile in our parking lot from the Jan 22 storm. Two feet of snow and then icey nights. But it was 60d yesterday and maybe again today.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It may be hell to pay this summer. You will regret it.
I'll gladly trade 8 months of cold weather for 2 months of 90s...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #17

Helped a summer neighbor plow a lane through his lot. Snow was 2.5 to 3 feet deep. He usually comes up once or twice during the winter. He said he had never seen the snow so deep. On the other side, it was not nearly as cold this winter as the last two.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Blue bonnets, red buds, jasmine and daffodils already. And I've sailed every week this winter. This weekend I was in shorts and tshirts. If it's hitting 80 now, how bad will it be in August?
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote