Join Early Retirement Today

Wireless internet through cell phone provider
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wireless internet through cell phone provider

Looks like a couple of local providers are offering this and dont need cell phone service through them. 25-30 bucks a month...My 1 year of DSL service for 20 bucks per month is expiring in a few months and looking at options...Experience?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean internet access through an aircard or something else? Verizon's charges for internet using an aircard or phone currently is $59 a month if you already have a cell plan. Which is a lot more than 25-30 a month.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #3

SLOW! I can get the internet through my PDA through my work and thorugh my cell provider....very slow - although some MDs where I work showed me their iPhone - that was fairly quick on some internet stuff. The problem is having those large pages download onto the phone and then trying to read them - kind of like looking at the page through a microscope, one little area at a time.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #4

You are right, alltel, looks to be 59 bucks a month...it must have been another local provider that got bought up by cingular...
Old 01-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, with your DSL option I wouldn't pay $60 a month for a data plan. In broadband areas, the Verizon access can be really fast, but in non-broadband areas it can be painfully slow. When I am in your part of the state our Verizon internet access stinks, FWIW.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Verizon's charges for internet using an aircard or phone currently is $59 a month if you already have a cell plan.
I'm not sure about AT&T but Verizon and Sprint both dropped the cell plan requirement to get the $60/month aircard plan.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm not sure about AT&T but Verizon and Sprint both dropped the cell plan requirement to get the $60/month aircard plan.
Good to hear. Now I wish they would improve the service.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Good to hear. Now I wish they would improve the service.
Although it is highly location dependent, the Sprint aircard I got in November has been excellent. After 9 years of struggling to find broadband speeds out here in the boonies (and too cheap not willing to pony up for satellite), I think I've finally found the solution.

Now if I can only find a wireless router that will work with the aircard so DW and I can be online simultaneously. I've tried two advertised to work with my card but neither would. A couple of new models are due out in Feb and March so I'm hoping one of those will do the trick.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #9

Ok - you meant through a card in your computer using the cellular netowrk and not with the PDA - no experience there, just the microscope stuff :-) Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Ok - you meant through a card in your computer using the cellular netowrk and not with the PDA - no experience there, just the microscope stuff :-) Sorry about the misunderstanding.
No problem...a lot of dohickies out there Thanks Martha..I will keep your speed experience in mind...