Join Early Retirement Today

Wireless "invisible" dog fences...do they work?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wireless "invisible" dog fences...do they work?

I have come across a petsafe IF 300 with many good reviews. Anyone have this or a similar wireless invisible fence? If so, can you tell me how well it works? It claims to have an adjustable radius of 90 ft....resulting in up to a 180 ft in diameter circle for the dog the play in.

Thanks!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From experience, I can tell you that a physical fence is a much better choice. It keeps other dogs out, is a visual aid to your dog that he/she can't go out of the yard, is easier to train for, etc.

But, in a situation where a fence is a) too expensive b) you live in a rental or c) neighborhood rules prohibit a fence, the invisible fence "can" be an okay choice. The biggest point I'll make is the importance of consistent and regular training. If you just put up some flags, walk the dog by them a couple of times, and then turn her out, it isn't going to work. You have to convince the dog it is a real barrier, and not just let her find out "the hard way" ie, a shock.

I had a foster dog go to a place with an electric fence. He was shocked by the fence after about a week there. He became so terrified that he refused to leave the house. He could be dragged to the front porch where he would hang over the side of the steps to "go" and then press himself, trembling, against the front door until let back inside. It was pitiful. I bought some very expensive drugs for anxiety and helped the new owner retrain him to be okay in the yard and it worked, but it took a whole heck of a lot more time than if they'd done the job correctly in the first place.

So please, do it right if you are going to do it. I would go with a real fence, livestock wire and posts--I fenced 4 acres in a weekend with a two man auger and a tractor to pull the wire tight as we went. Piece of cake.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

So please, do it right if you are going to do it. I would go with a real fence, livestock wire and posts--I fenced 4 acres in a weekend with a two man auger and a tractor to pull the wire tight as we went. Piece of cake.
Sarah in SC is much more impressive than Sarah in Ak.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Ha! Well, I did put the menfolk to work on the auger! But that is what the beer is for...to lure them out of the woods close enough so you can put them to work!

OT: we went out to get some supper earlier tonight, and the most beautiful corn snake was crossing our dirt road. I thought it was a great omen for a good weekend--I love those corn snakes! Here's a picture of what ours looked like.
Attached Images
File Type: gif corn-snake-small.gif (30.1 KB, 73 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

What Sarah said.

Real fences are better, but the invisible ones will work if the dog is trained.

BUT:

Some dogs will take the hit if they see something they really want. My brother had a very smart Border collie/something mix, and mostly Fluffy was fine. Then every once in a while, they would notice Fluffy off their acre, across the road pooping on their suburban neighbor's yard. Such a cute little .

He had seen a squirrel, or other dog, or something else that had motivated him.

ta,
mews

[re the other thread - I'm glad you and your wife have talked about the dog care issue, and are working to solve it. ]
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #6

I should clarify. I am not wanting a real fence...not practical.

I want an invisible fence, but there are 2 kinds. One works with a buried cable in the ground...dog crosses the line and gets a shock. Type 2 has only a transmitter sending a signal in a perfect circle...you just plug it in. You use a tester to find the perimeter and set up flags. Then, if the dog goes farther than the signal, the collar shocks the dog. I'm curious about type 2

thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Might work on a calm dog or might not if your dog goes charging off for whatever reason i'm sure he will be through that shock zone so fast he wont even feel the shock,i can almost hear what judge Judy would say if your dog caused any harm or damage.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #8

supposedly, the unit i referenced has a 30 second 'zap'....pulses or something...which get progressively worse as the dog strays further....
Old 10-18-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Sarah in SC is much more impressive than Sarah in Ak.
Hey, that belongs in the soapbox.

I tried a wireless one but it was not consistent on it's range. I had a couple of spots my dog could walk through but when she came back through, it would zap the crap out of her. I returned it for credit. I later bought an old fashion invisible fence from Walmart(with underground wire) and installed that myself. It works great! Takes about 2 weeks of training. I have a golden retriever and they are easy to train. My brother's lab would bust through his from time to time if it really wanted out.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #10

I have a co-worker with the wireless one says it works great for his three dachshunds.

Personally, I just got rid of the d****d dogs. One ran away (again!) & we didn't go looking - the other we found a better home for.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

We have that exact wireless fence (Petsafe) and it is a lifesaver. There is bedrock around our house and the buried wire fence, or for that matter the actual old fashioned above ground fence is not an option. It has worked flawlessly for 6 years. The radius adjust feature works well, and I do change the radius sometimes, depending on the season. Keeps 2 Jack Russell's under control no problem.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockisle View Post
We have that exact wireless fence (Petsafe) and it is a lifesaver. There is bedrock around our house and the buried wire fence, or for that matter the actual old fashioned above ground fence is not an option. It has worked flawlessly for 6 years. The radius adjust feature works well, and I do change the radius sometimes, depending on the season. Keeps 2 Jack Russell's under control no problem.

good to hear. i might give it a shot...although its a lot more $$ from local retailers who accept returns vs. online