Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Wisconsin Tourism Slogan
Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Administrator

Wisconsin Tourism Slogan

It seems that our friends in Wisconsin are having some difficulties coming up with a good slogan to promote tourism in their fine state. Wisconsin's new slogan faces some pushback

In the spirit of camraderie and mutual assistance, I thought we might offer some suggestions. Here are my best ideas so far:

"Wisconsin: It could be worse." -- I really like the alliteration

"Wisconsin: All the class of Illinois, only colder."

Please help our cheesehead friends and contribute your own.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wisconsin

We got more cheese than all the leisure suits and gold fish platform shoes combined.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Administrator

Wisconsin - Hot dish heaven (and the girls are nice too)
Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Wisconsin - Hot dish heaven (and the girls are nice too)
Alliteration and a saucy double entendre. I like it!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #5

Guess I didn't find my calling...sigh
Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wisconsin, Illinois' biggest state park.

BTW, I think some of you are confusing Wis with Minn. Minn is the state famous for hot dish, understatement and starring at your shoes during converstations. At least per Garrison Keillor!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Wisconsin, Illinois' biggest state park.

BTW, I think some of you are confusing Wis with Minn. Minn is the state famous for hot dish, understatement and starring at your shoes during converstations. At least per Garrison Keillor!

The life and times of hot dish

Hot dish knows no state boundaries.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:

Ah is that what you call it. Ive had that in Ohio
Old 03-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Oh, OK, western Wisconsin per Wikepedia. I suppose some Minnesota culture had to leak across the border!

Although, I doubt Wisconsin has anything to challenge the chicken or tuna hot dish at the little cafe on Main St in Black Duck, Minnesota. And I've eaten in a lot of Wis and Minn cafes and have the gut and clogged arteries to prove it.

DW and I stay at an American plan resort in northern Minnesota every June and August. Meals are family style served in a log dining hall tucked in the tress at the edge of the lake. Tuesday supper is fried chicken. Thursday lunch is chicken hot dish. The amount of chicken in Thursday's hot dish depends on how hungry we were at Tuesday supper!

I guess connecting Wisconsin and hot dish would be like connecting Minnesota and brewing beer. Yeah, they do brew beer in Minnesota, but really, isn't Wisconsin the beer capital of the modern world?

Speaking of beer, I used Guinness to make beer batter for the batch of wally filets I fried up this evening! It came out very well.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

hotdish = casserole for those south of the mason-dixon line. Thought I'd save you the 2 minutes to wiki it.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

How bout that? "Coming up with the slogan and accompanying logo — which shows a silhouetted figure doing a cartwheel across letters spelling out Wisconsin — cost $50,000"

Money well spent. Some needy, deserving AIG management who DIDN'T receive millions in bonuses could have used a share of that largesse.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #12

Come for the badger cheese. It's better than beaver cheese.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
hotdish = casserole for those south of the mason-dixon line. Thought I'd save you the 2 minutes to wiki it.
Darn, I should have read further...thanks anyway.

So, I was reading the wiki entry for "hot dish"
Quote:
The dish is usually seasoned lightly with salt and pepper, and it may be eaten with ketchup as a condiment. Another popular hotdish is made with Kraft macaroni and cheese or plain noodles, canned tuna, peas, and mushroom soup.
and I have to say that sounds pretty bland. I figured the northerners would eat stuff that was hot and spicy to keep them warm in that frigid wasteland.

Like a nice frito pie! With lots of jalapenos! That'll keep you warm.

$50,000 for the slogan campaign. Heck, they should just have a lottery for tourists and give the cash to the winner. Easy slogan to advertise it - Wisconsin: Come for the dough and stay for the casserole hot dish. And don't forget the ketchup!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Darn, I should have read further...thanks anyway.

So, I was reading the wiki entry for "hot dish" and I have to say that sounds pretty bland. I figured the northerners would eat stuff that was hot and spicy to keep them warm in that frigid wasteland.

Like a nice frito pie! With lots of jalapenos! That'll keep you warm.

There are lots of varieties of hot dish but you would be give a generous berth if you showed up at the social toting one with jalapenos - waaay too spicy. There are other ways to fancy-up hot dish though...

Here is one of the many variants... tater-tot casserole.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #15

That tater tot casserole would be great with jalapenos on it
Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Those jalapenos would be great with habaneros on them.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Those jalapenos would be great with habaneros on them.
I didn't want to scare anyone with a serious pepper, but now I'm thinking they may never have even heard of a habanero. My current personal favorite is the chile tepines(sp?). One of my neighbors grows them and they are perfect for chili.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I have never been to Wisconsin, but in August and September the New Orleans heat and humidity become really oppressive. At that time of year, lawns grow six inches a week, hurricanes are rumbling across the Gulf of Mexico in our direction, and Wisconsin looks really, really attractive. No slogan needed.

Well, OK, this is a slogan thread. How about

"Sure, winter in Florida, but spend your summers in cool, beautiful Wisconsin, Land of Cheeses, eh!"

Something like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Our OLD slogan was: "Escape to Wisconsin". They sold almost a MILLION bumper stickers with that slogan, I even bought one. However, some guy spliced it up and created a bumper sticker that said: "Escape FROM Wisconsin", which was a HUGE hit. Of course, I HAD to get one of those.......

Wisconsin has had an identity crisis for a long time. Michigan seems to be on a roll with their slogans.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I have never been to Wisconsin, but in August and September the New Orleans heat and humidity become really oppressive. At that time of year, lawns grow six inches a week, hurricanes are rumbling across the Gulf of Mexico in our direction, and Wisconsin looks really, really attractive. No slogan needed.
I escaped the smothering heat and humidity of the southeast by going to Milwaukee one summer and it was very nice there. 70's and sunny the whole time. I think their summers in Wisconsin are always very moderate. Both weeks of them.