Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I've been retired for a bit more than 4 years, and would sell a kidney before I would go back to w*rk.

Occasionally (in winter) I will feel a bit restless or bored, but that can be alleviated by a trip to the library or a phone call or email.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post
Thanks, I have a really bad case of thinking I forgot to show up for a class, so I didn't graduate. It's never grad school, always undergrad.

Worked with many, many engineers over the years, definitely feel I know you well. As a Ms. Engineer, at least your clothes probably matched. BTW, I just noted you said "bleated welcome", are you a UNC grad??
Good answer! That feeling of "I'm supposed to be somewhere" or in your case "I forgot to show up for class" is something we may never get rid of. Years of strict mental discipline, ruled by the numbers and the timers...argh.
My clothes were actually pretty typical, casual when I was in the lab , "power suits" for visitors .
But yes, they did match.
"Bleated" was just fat fingers on my keyboard. However, I have to sound an acronym alert!!! UNC stands for University of ??
I'm actually a SUNY grad, BS Physics. Engineering and computers came later, as needed.
There's a lot of techno-geeks here on the forum. But we leave the equation solving for the still harnessed. I have zero plans to do any more techno stuff except for my own amusement.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

North Carolina, the Tarheels. Ramses the ram is their mascot.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I get jumpy thinking about withdrawals from my funds.
X2

I was sure this was going to be about withdrawing funds from savings, boy has that given me the willies.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Ya know, you may be one of those few who actually enjoyed their pre-retirement jobs. I have admitted to that affliction. It makes early semi-retirement more appealing than complete retirement for me. Just when I got all that worked out, the damn economy went to pot.

So, fess up: did you like your work, hate it, or somewhere in between? Not talking long hours, nights, weekends, etc. since that's a given as things you will gladly give up. But the work and career environment themselves -- do you miss them?
OK, fessing up. It had some trying aspects, but I worked with people that actually impressed me daily with their knowledge. Most coworkers were very unpretentious and the environment was pretty congenial. No real deliverables other than "white" papers. Plus the large complex of buildings where I worked housed many different businesses. Conversations at lunch might range from Thomas Jefferson's affair with Mrs. Cosway, to speculation on the feasibility of a quantum bomb.

I miss that.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Good answer! That feeling of "I'm supposed to be somewhere" or in your case "I forgot to show up for class" is something we may never get rid of. Years of strict mental discipline, ruled by the numbers and the timers...argh.
My clothes were actually pretty typical, casual when I was in the lab , "power suits" for visitors .
But yes, they did match.
"Bleated" was just fat fingers on my keyboard. However, I have to sound an acronym alert!!! UNC stands for University of ??
I'm actually a SUNY grad, BS Physics. Engineering and computers came later, as needed.
There's a lot of techno-geeks here on the forum. But we leave the equation solving for the still harnessed. I have zero plans to do any more techno stuff except for my own amusement.
It was the Tar Heels, as harley mentions. So it was the sheep bleathing connection.

I knew engineers in the 70's who would wear plaid pants with a striped shirt and a pocket protector. Ah, the memories. You have to have known a few.

I was the equation dispenser during my career and cannot shake that. Equations are cool.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OK, fessing up. It had some trying aspects, but I worked with people that actually impressed me daily with their knowledge. Most coworkers were very unpretentious and the environment was pretty congenial. No real deliverables other than "white" papers. Plus the large complex of buildings where I worked housed many different businesses. Conversations at lunch might range from Thomas Jefferson's affair with Mrs. Cosway, to speculation on the feasibility of a quantum bomb.
I miss that.
Shucks, you've come to the right place...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Since retirement, I from time to time feel a sensation that I would classify as "caged animal" or "wanting to jump out of my skin". I read a few threads on the forum somewhat related but not addressing specifically those feelings.

Does that seem like a normal retiree complaint?
Sounds like cabin fever or just plain boredom.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #29

I'm sure if you searched you might find a discussion about numbers of fairies dancing on the head of a pin here.....or not. The feasibility of a quantum bomb might be a new subject to add to the strings available - or 'string theory' (although I think I saw something about that years ago here). Or just plain silliness or meanness - that's here, too. Best advice given, IMHO, is how to spend your time during retirement, how to save money and how to invest your money. All others are for pure entertainment (although some of the answers to the three best subjects can be quite entertaining as well).

Depending on when people are on the board, you can get almost immediate feedback as well - I've had private notes replied to within 30 seconds - and I'm 6-9 hours time difference ahead of continental US.

To your direct question - hell, I feel that way at times and I still quasi-work. I call it being edgy - usually happens when I don't know what to do next - forcing myself to go for a walk/DO something usually makes it go away - perhaps it's a function of an overactive mind. I did some very strenuous hiking once (Via Ferrate in Dolomiti, Italy) - basically you wear a harness around your hips with caribiners and click and unclick the caribiners on a cable that is mounted into the wall of the mountain (if you watch the old Stallone movie "Cliffhanger' where they are hiking on ledges, you'll get where we were) and found it to be some of the most mentally relaxing things I ever did-why? My mind is at times so over-active, that the absolute focus needed while doing this hiking (you must really only think about where to put your next foot and clipping and unclipping the caribiners while walking along the ledge or climbing the metal ladder and looking down every now and then realizing one misstep and you will not be around anymore - your mind relaxes as it isn't multi-multi-processing). Add to that the physical exhaustion after the day and I slept like a baby every night. This might not work for some people, but it sure did for me - and I didn't find out until I was in my mid-thirties that this was something good for me.

Welcome to the board! Interesting group of people and I find definitely some of the more intelligent to interact with - very different perspectives, but all mostly committed to retiring early and doing what they want to with their time.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
I'm sure if you searched you might find a discussion about numbers of fairies dancing on the head of a pin here.....or not. The feasibility of a quantum bomb might be a new subject to add to the strings available - or 'string theory' (although I think I saw something about that years ago here). Or just plain silliness or meanness - that's here, too. Best advice given, IMHO, is how to spend your time during retirement, how to save money and how to invest your money. All others are for pure entertainment (although some of the answers to the three best subjects can be quite entertaining as well).

Depending on when people are on the board, you can get almost immediate feedback as well - I've had private notes replied to within 30 seconds - and I'm 6-9 hours time difference ahead of continental US.

To your direct question - hell, I feel that way at times and I still quasi-work. I call it being edgy - usually happens when I don't know what to do next - forcing myself to go for a walk/DO something usually makes it go away - perhaps it's a function of an overactive mind. I did some very strenuous hiking once (Via Ferrate in Dolomiti, Italy) - basically you wear a harness around your hips with caribiners and click and unclick the caribiners on a cable that is mounted into the wall of the mountain (if you watch the old Stallone movie "Cliffhanger' where they are hiking on ledges, you'll get where we were) and found it to be some of the most mentally relaxing things I ever did-why? My mind is at times so over-active, that the absolute focus needed while doing this hiking (you must really only think about where to put your next foot and clipping and unclipping the caribiners while walking along the ledge or climbing the metal ladder and looking down every now and then realizing one misstep and you will not be around anymore - your mind relaxes as it isn't multi-multi-processing). Add to that the physical exhaustion after the day and I slept like a baby every night. This might not work for some people, but it sure did for me - and I didn't find out until I was in my mid-thirties that this was something good for me.

Welcome to the board! Interesting group of people and I find definitely some of the more intelligent to interact with - very different perspectives, but all mostly committed to retiring early and doing what they want to with their time.
Thanks for the welcome, I do believe part of it is an over-active mind. The hike you did sounds fascinating in many ways. Interesting concept of a "relaxed" mind in the midst of intense concentration.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.... Conversations at lunch might range from Thomas Jefferson's affair with Mrs. Cosway, to speculation on the feasibility of a quantum bomb.

I miss that.
I worked with an awesome guy who is a Jefferson scholar and is tops in his unrelated field. Fun arguments about Jefferson.

I've been free only 5 months and I tell myself if I want those kinds of discussions again I'll attend library events. It's the best place I know where the old (and young) smart guys and gals hang out and they are friendly. They serve wine and coffee before, during and after lectures, book signings, movies with film scholars, book discussions--there's one going on Proust and others on local authors.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Conversations at lunch might range from Thomas Jefferson's affair with Mrs. Cosway, to speculation on the feasibility of a quantum bomb.
Wow! Sounds like an unusually stimulating work environment.

My co-workers are Ph.D scientists and engineers. Our conversations at lunch are mostly about the weather, about our oppressive workload, about our efforts at the gym, about our favorite restaurants, about football, about cars, and about other co-workers and management.

We do discuss topics in science and engineering, but not at lunch. I must admit that I like talking about something else for a change, at lunch or on breaks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Conversations at lunch might range from Thomas Jefferson's affair with Mrs. Cosway, to speculation on the feasibility of a quantum bomb.
I like that kind of discussion also. But, it isn't enough to keep me working.
Listen to University of Berkley podcasts.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

CuppaJoe, great suggestion.

I think few people realize just how different our nation might have been had Thomas Jefferson not won the 1800 election. Pivotal point in our history and the outcome hinged on a voting error.

EDIT:
W2r, Dex, the lunch room held maybe 300 people and 7-8 companies shared the same complex of 16-20 story buildings. So the lunch crowd was everything from nerds to chefs to bank execs to tarocchi practioners. I remember quite well a conversation about Cassanova gaining his prowess from tarocchi. Never worked for me.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Psychologicall retired about 10 years ago. My body followed about 2 1/2 years ago. I just turned 56

Have no guilt. Look at people still working as unfortunate. The upside is that I'm able to concentrate on subjects that I sort of skimmed over during working life. I take more time doing things and watching the world unfold.

Down side is that I have too much time on my hands. I have weird sleeping hours, don't know if I'm still on NY time, or that I live in Vegas where I know I can get what I want when I want it.

Debating whether to go on a part time job, but the thought of being on a schedule bugs me. Perhaps I'll take up a hobby, see how many w-2/1099's I can collect in a year. In any case, nothing wrong with just "being"

jug
Ooooooommmmmmmmmmmm
Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
....Look at people still working as unfortunate. The upside is that I'm able to concentrate on subjects that I sort of skimmed over during working life. I take more time doing things and watching the world unfold.

Hear! Hear! Sometimes now I go thru a museum exhibit and just look at a couple of things slowly because I know I can go back more often than I would before retirement.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

We found out yesterday that the 26th of this month will be DH last day on the j*b. I've been trying to prepare him for retirement and the changes he may go through. He's a very intelligent, structured man and I'm hoping that he will be able to loosen up a bit. Time will tell....

He does have a few hobbies....his favorite is music....
He's the one with the guitar.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #38

Quote:
We found out yesterday that the 26th of this month will be DH last day on the j*b. I've been trying to prepare him for retirement and the changes he may go through. He's a very intelligent, structured man and I'm hoping that he will be able to loosen up a bit. Time will tell....

He does have a few hobbies....his favorite is music....
He's the one with the guitar.
Read somewhere about a wife's newly fulltime hubby at home.
She was frustrated after a few weeks of him being underfoot. Finally she said: I married you for better or worse, but not for lunch. Now go find something to occupy your time with.

Remembering this when I retired, I dutifully disappear for several hours a day.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
When I retired, I dutifully disappear for several hours a day.
You are one smart man.

On a few occasions he has walked up behind me and said, "What are ya doin' now, huh, huh, huh? You know I'm going to do this when I retire, right?"

The look in my eyes made him see this.....

Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #40

Quote:
You are one smart man.

On a few occasions he has walked up behind me and said, "What are ya doin' now, huh, huh, huh? You know I'm going to do this when I retire, right?"

The look in my eyes made him see this.....