Join Early Retirement Today

without electricity for 48 hours now
Old 07-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
without electricity for 48 hours now

Just a mention.
Posting from phone charged by laptop charged at library.
Library is open tomorrow, might check in then.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My condolences, Khan. Must be very uncomfortable. Hope it's over soon!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Oh Khan, what a bother! Our power was out for just under 24 hours - got it back last night. Everything including the well pump is electric, so we could not take showers or (TMI alert) flush the johns...no phone, no lights, much food in fridge & freezer was lost...we fled to the mall and library. We lay out on a blanket under trees because the house was so hot. After 48 hours - we would have checked into a hotel. (I realize you have a cat, so would have to sneak her into the hotel).

Best of luck.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Just a mention.
Posting from phone charged by laptop charged at library.
Library is open tomorrow, might check in then.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

I have natural gas for hot water and stove top cooking; miss AC and fans.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Oh boy. Sorry to hear that.

A storm hit my town today. Lights were flickering. Received a robocall from village saying that much of town west of about .5 from me has lost power.

Hang in there.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear this. That storm that blew in Friday evening knocked power out for a lot of folks here in western PA also. It is so hot and humid (90) that lack of A/C would be hard to bear. I grew up without air conditioning but now I am old and spoiled. I could shower at my gym if necessary but could not sleep there at night. And then there would be my dog to consider and he is spoiled, too.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've learned from summers past (by me, storms usually knock out power a couple of times a year) to have some battery powered devices such as fans and flashlights. Even a small portable fan blowing makes a big difference than nothing at all.

At the moment, this is my favorite battery operated fan:

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/10...ws/reviews.htm

This baby runs for about 10hrs before needing a battery recharge.

(I already have the battery and charger so didn't need to purchase that again.)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #8

Sounds like Peace Corps
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry to hear about your situation, Khan...and all of those who are dealing with that heat!
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Lots of people around here without power too. Luckily ours was only down from 9pm Fri to noon Sat. I forgot my trick that I do when ice storms are predicted, to fill the bathtub with fresh water. We were on severe water rationing because they were very limited in processing and pumping water, and it would've been a problem had the power outage gone on longer.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

I hope that you get the power back soon. Luckily, we did not lose power from the storm. I ran and grabbed the flashlights when the storm hit, in case we lost power. I grew up without A/C also, but would have a hard time without it now.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Khan, we live in an area that has lost power for over a week during both Katrina and Gustav. I know the feeling. I personally hate to be in that situation. I hope you and everyone else gets power back soon. In this heat, that is not a good thing. Hang in there!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Are you sure you lost things in the freezer

Most of the time, as long as you do not open it you can go 24 hours... if it is a separate freezer, and a chest one, much longer....

When we lose electricity, I do not let anyone open the fridge or freezer just in the hope it comes back on it time... we have a propane BBQ, so we can cook if needed...

I have been thinking about buying a small generator... you can get a really small one at Sams that should run a fridge or a few fans and a light... my wife has mentioned a whole house one, but that would be a 15K unit.... many more bucks....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have been thinking about buying a small generator... you can get a really small one at Sams that should run a fridge or a few fans and a light... my wife has mentioned a whole house one, but that would be a 15K unit.... many more bucks....
And maybe a small window A/C unit. They draw just 600-700 watts (about 2000 on startup). You'd be a hero. And, the window unit might pay for itself the first time your central AC crumps out at 7PM--that service call will be a lot less expensive during business hours.
An "emergency" AC unit probably isn't a necessity here in Ohio, but in TX or FL I'd do it. Or if someone in our home had a reduced ability to cope with the heat.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And maybe a small window A/C unit. They draw just 600-700 watts (about 2000 on startup). You'd be a hero.
Or a target.

We've always felt kinda vulnerable if we're the only house in the neighborhood with the lights on after a hurricane. I'd rather break out the candles and the BBQ and party like it's 1899.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting product for emergency power:

UPG ECO1800 Ecotricity Solar Powered Generator 1800W 120V [87530] - $1,590.00 : Rocky Mountain Homesteader, Intelligent tools for thoughtful lives

Amazon.com: UPG 87530 Ecotricity Portable Emergency Backup Power Solar Generator, Plug and Play: Automotive
Old 07-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear that. The bright side is that you still have running water. If not, the whole situation would become very tough. Hopefully your power will be restored soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We've always felt kinda vulnerable if we're the only house in the neighborhood with the lights on after a hurricane.
That's the feeling I have too. The only lights in the neighborhood and generator noise might not be a good idea under certain circumstances.
ratto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Power still out. 0800 EDT
Old 07-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
After an ice storm left us without power for four days in '99 I bought a Honda super quiet 4500 watt generator. 65 DB standing right next to it. We had natural gas heat so that would run the furnace, refrigerator, TV, computer, and a few light bulbs. If DW wanted to run a hair dryer or coffee maker I did load shedding for those items. And of course it will run a small window A/C.

Trust me, no matter how much you love her you don't want to live with a woman who can't have her hair dryer or morning coffee.

When we moved to WV I had the transfer switch installed straight away and of course haven't used the generator since the move. In new construction all the wires are underground. But I know we'll need it the day after I sell it so I hang on to it.

The whole-house 15kw generators have dropped in price a lot since then. You may want to check into it again.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Power still out. 0800 EDT
Khan,

Sorry to hear that.

Hope you're able to go someplace to stay cool (Library? Mall? nearby lake?) and that they get your power restored PRONTO!

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote