Women are better off bra-less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I am not sure why and what is the US men's fascination with breasts. When much younger in Europe, I used to go to beaches where most women would be braless. Used to be the norm. I did not care one way or the other. I guess I grew up completely desensitized.

Interesting research linking to back pain, though.

Uh, it's a French news article reporting on a project carried out by a French professor on French students. It would seem to me the fascination is French, not US. And judging by posting frequency, it seems to me that here in the ER forum there is a greater interest in asteroids.

Did they really have to use the word "mammoth" in the first quote?

I'm hoping it was a byproduct of translation.

Me too. In practically everywhere else in the world, women can whip their breasts out anywhere, anytime to feed or soothe their babies and people are so used to that they don't even pay attention. Americans get so freaked out over 'exposure'. What's up with that?

Am I the only one who has seen the pics of 25 year old African tribe women with their boobs down to their bellybuttons? No bra, less sagging my a**! Maybe those with A cups have no problems, but those of us with more ample bosoms need some support.

Here in Canada we're a little more relaxed and European in our approach (but not completely). Of course it could just be me and my circle of friends but we refer to bras by their original German name "Schtopenfloppens"

;o)

Am I the only one who has seen the pics of 25 year old African tribe women with their boobs down to their bellybuttons? No bra, less sagging my a**! Maybe those with A cups have no problems, but those of us with more ample bosoms need some support.

By 25, many tribal African women have had 5 or 6 children, all of whom had been breast fed for a year or more. It is primarily the way they feed their babies; the way babies were meant to be fed and the main reason for the existence of breasts on mammals.

In practically everywhere else in the world, women can whip their breasts out anywhere, anytime to feed or soothe their babies and people are so used to that they don't even pay attention.
I think you are overlooking a large part of the world where if a woman even shows her face it is cause for severe punishment.

I think you are overlooking a large part of the world where if a woman even shows her face it is cause for severe punishment.

I am afraid that this is the sort of misinformation that pervades our society but in the absence of not knowing much about other people and cultures except the skewed TV perspective, that's understandable. Even in those societies, women do not suffer repercussions for breast feeding openly as long as they are in the company of other women or their male relatives. I breast fed my children for a year and I dared not 'expose' myself even in the company of women in my free society, the only place it's socially illegal.

Sorry for my ignorance Letj. I defer to your greater world knowledge and will exit this thread rather than further embarrass myself. :)

Sorry for my ignorance Letj. I defer to your greater world knowledge and will exit this thread rather than further embarrass myself. :)

I never claimed to have superior world knowledge but I've lived and travelled many places around the world. There are lots of things that I am ignorant about, that's for sure but I do know that it is not such a large part of this world where women would face severe punishment for exposing their face. It's actually quite a small part but sensationalist news makes it far worse. The same is true for crime reporting in the US; no knews there.

In my generation only poor women went bra-less. In my youth I always wore a bra to avoid ogling male eyes, avoid the jiggle and protruding nipples. Even now I hesitate to go without a bra for propriety's sake.

The truth is that I would not like to do this type of breast related research - taking breast measures all the time. I would much prefer to spend time reading posts on this website and learning about FIRE. And this is the truth - I know, hard to believe.
Truly a sacrifice for science!

Last edited:
Yes, I have seen many naked bodies thanks to my profession, but I can confirm that spending time on European beaches and watching topless women from a very early age desensitized me. I know colleagues in continental Europe feel the same. I also know guys here will find it hard to believe, but it is simply the truth. Also you do get somewhat desensitized after a while - many MDs, PAs, NPs, and RNs here will tell you the same.
Desensitized?? Nothing personal, obgyn65, but may I humbly remind you of your User Name? Perhaps we need a more "unbiased" opinion??

Just kidding you, obgyn65. :LOL: Of course, YMMV.

Last edited:
.... Even in those societies, women do not suffer repercussions for breast feeding openly as long as they are in the company of other women or their male relatives....

Not sure I'd call this "openly" breastfeeding--probably most US women are comfortable breastfeeding in front of other women and male relatives and probably don't suffer repercussions (and what exactly are these repercussions, anyway? Three nights in jail? Forced formula feeding?) for it.

Breasts are perhaps anatomically unusual in that they provide infant nutrition but are also erogenous zones for women (I assume this is true in non-US cultures too--perhaps some French researchers can check it out). One might say they're real and they're spectacular.

Last edited:
I beg to disagree. I have never seen blurred images of breasts of French TV when I lived there, unlike here. No problem about women breastfeeding in public. Being topless on beaches is common practice.

Anyone doing this type of research here would be called a pervert!

Honestly it feels like the WASP, Puritan thing is still very much present in the US culture.
Uh, it's a French news article reporting on a project carried out by a French professor on French students. It would seem to me the fascination is French, not US. .

Did you know that the word "bra" comes from the French "brassiere" ?

And now I am waiting for ERD50 to come in and contradict me :)
Here in Canada we're a little more relaxed and European in our approach (but not completely). Of course it could just be me and my circle of friends but we refer to bras by their original German name "Schtopenfloppens"

;o)

Last edited:
this thread started downhill-and has gone farther downhill. seems like some of mine that eventually get locked or deleted.:D

I beg to disagree. I have never seen blurred images of breasts of French TV when I lived there, unlike here. No problem about women breastfeeding in public. Being topless on beaches is common practice.

Anyone doing this type of research here would be called a pervert!

Honestly it feels like the WASP, Puritan thing is still very much present in the US culture.
Oby, read the link in the first post. It really is a French Professor doing research in a French University on French students.

I will no longer post under this thread, no problem. I don't want to offend anyone..
this thread started downhill-and has gone farther downhill. seems like some of mine that eventually get locked or deleted.:D

Last edited:
The good professor should have done some measurements in countries where women do not wear breast supports.

For example Ghana or the Ivory Coast. Habits may have changed, but when I spent some time there, most women just wrapped a sheet around themselvels just above their breasts. The young ones did point north proudly. Estimationg ages, around thirty or so the headlights definitely were pointing south, or more correctly towards terra firma.

It would behoove the good prof to repeat his measuremnts in locales where no support is used, and publish the results... My guess much of Africa would quaify. He could try Afghanistan as well, though unlikely he'd live to tell.

Edit add: Angola was pretty similiar in woman's wear.

Last edited:
Even at my age it seems almost pitiful that one should take for granted the beauty of the anatomy of the opposite sex and in particular beautiful female breasts. :smitten:

haha said:
She is also the 8th wonder of the world She wants sex 5 times daily.

Ha

Maybe I am just too old, but she would kick me to the curb in 2 days max...No way could I keep up with her or anyone 5 times a day.

Maybe I am just too old, but she would kick me to the curb in 2 days max...No way could I keep up with her or anyone 5 times a day.
You and me both. But maybe if we drank lots of fluids? Energy drinks? Or maybe she could make do with 15 geezers, serially? Kind of like a pitching rotation? Just try to get your tatas to kill me Honey!

Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom