Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have you ever cried at work?
Yes 34 58.62%
No 15 25.86%
Not exactly cried--tearful, sniffly, etc. 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does crying on the inside count?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember working with a woman who was in her mid 40's and had just gotten married to a much younger man. They were trying to have a baby and she was at the end of her timeframe, biologically. She was undergoing some kind of hormone treatments and she would just sob at the drop of a hat. We all walked on eggshells until she told us all about what she was going through and how it was so hard for her, fertility issues and hormone manipulation by the meds. After that we were completely supportive and sympathetic. I hope they got their baby in the end, her new young husband was a good looking fireman!

I don't think I ever cried at work out of frustration or stress. But I got an upsetting phone call once and everyone heard my side of the conversation. My boss asked me if I wanted to go home, I said no, I was fine. Later, when I had a minute to catch my breath I started to crumble and realized he had the right idea.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I don't think I ever cried at work out of frustration or stress. But I got an upsetting phone call once and everyone heard my side of the conversation. My boss asked me if I wanted to go home, I said no, I was fine. Later, when I had a minute to catch my breath I started to crumble and realized he had the right idea.
Last October at work I had to deal with a paperwork snarl related to my mother's cremation, by e-mail and telephone. I didn't crumble but a few hours later when I had wound up some loose ends related to work, I decided to take a few days off. I was pretty tense and felt like I might blow up at the slightest provocation. It wouldn't have been pretty!!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Have I ever cried at work? Sure. I worked for 25 years and the waterworks were bound to happen...at some point.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Never cried at work. Since I've found this forum though, I find myself crying everyday on the way to work! Does that count?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
... but I've never cried at work. Yup, I've had frustrations, both personal and professional. But I don't think crying is appropriate.

Have you ever cried at work?
I've never cried at work yet, and I've had very stressful yucky jobs, such as getting blamed for something I didn't do, saying sorry to an internal customer even though it had nothing to do with me, too much workload (triple) w/the same expectations, etc.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Never cried at work. Since I've found this forum though, I find myself crying everyday on the way to work! Does that count?
*Every* day? Man, how much longer do you have?

aworkingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted yes......a lot last year due to personal reasons....I wish more people cried....it would be a more empathetic....humane world!

BTW.....I don't like getting older.....but what I wouldn't do to be 45 and about to semi retire!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

only after 2 personal tragedies when i returned to work. i did my best to not cry. i either closed the office door or quickly hit the bathroom if i felt the waterworks coming up.

and of course during 9/11. everybody cried.

other than that, i never let 'em see me upset. the hyenas would have been all over me.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aworkingrachel View Post
*Every* day? Man, how much longer do you have?
I'm 43 so who knows - it's all good though - I have just under an hour commute so the therapeutic value is priceless - nothing like a good hard cry!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps they do.

No I have not. But I have spewed profanity (not at people... situations) several times. That is the male version crying.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, most due to me trying to work through way too much pain and being very ill and then my boss giving me a heartfelt look and asking "Are you alright?" Grr, don't you people know not to ask that question with such sympathy? That is pure evil.

Only one time was it due to stress and someone yet again doing the "Are you alright?" thing and then a 10 minute sympathetic lecture on why I shouldn't run myself into the ground and how he would feel guilty if I did. I lost it about 2 minutes before he would have finished. This was after 3 other coworkers had already implemented separate interventions because everyone thought I was working myself into the ground (I was but still). Needless to say, I took everyone's advice and stopped working every weekend and late every day. I don't consider it appropriate to cry at work.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

giving me a heartfelt look and asking "Are you alright?" Grr, don't you people know not to ask that question with such sympathy? That is pure evil.

----

That is so true! I can usually control crying (has always been for a personal reason, not work related), until a friend or kind soul asks "Are you OK?". NO - but DON'T ASK ME THAT! Brings on the tears every time
Old 03-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
giving me a heartfelt look and asking "Are you alright?" Grr, don't you people know not to ask that question with such sympathy? That is pure evil.
A co-worker was so happy pregnant with her first child. When she went in for her final check-up, the doc said he was sorry her baby was dead. A memo went out in the office to never mention it to her.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, twice in my career. Both times I was so devastated that I just couldn't stop the tears from flowing...and I wanted to kick my own fanny for it. Sometimes you just have to blow I guess. I felt better afterward, anyway, and both were caused by really unfair and horrible circumstances even looking at them on hindsight.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Perhaps they do.

No I have not. But I have spewed profanity (not at people... situations) several times. That is the male version crying.
I really think that is a good point. Anger can lead to profanity, or to crying in some people.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote