Women Cry More At Work

Have you ever cried at work?

• Yes

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Not exactly cried--tearful, sniffly, etc.

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
... but I've never cried at work. Yup, I've had frustrations, both personal and professional. But I don't think crying is appropriate.

Have you ever cried at work?

I've never cried at work yet, and I've had very stressful yucky jobs, such as getting blamed for something I didn't do, saying sorry to an internal customer even though it had nothing to do with me, too much workload (triple) w/the same expectations, etc.

I voted yes......a lot last year due to personal reasons....I wish more people cried....it would be a more empathetic....humane world!

BTW.....I don't like getting older.....but what I wouldn't do to be 45 and about to semi retire!

only after 2 personal tragedies when i returned to work. i did my best to not cry. i either closed the office door or quickly hit the bathroom if i felt the waterworks coming up.

and of course during 9/11. everybody cried.

other than that, i never let 'em see me upset. the hyenas would have been all over me.

*Every* day? Man, how much longer do you have?

I'm 43 so who knows - it's all good though - I have just under an hour commute so the therapeutic value is priceless - nothing like a good hard cry! :D

Perhaps they do.

No I have not. But I have spewed profanity (not at people... situations) several times. That is the male version crying. ;)

Yes, most due to me trying to work through way too much pain and being very ill and then my boss giving me a heartfelt look and asking "Are you alright?" Grr, don't you people know not to ask that question with such sympathy? That is pure evil.

Only one time was it due to stress and someone yet again doing the "Are you alright?" thing and then a 10 minute sympathetic lecture on why I shouldn't run myself into the ground and how he would feel guilty if I did. I lost it about 2 minutes before he would have finished. This was after 3 other coworkers had already implemented separate interventions because everyone thought I was working myself into the ground (I was but still). Needless to say, I took everyone's advice and stopped working every weekend and late every day. I don't consider it appropriate to cry at work.

giving me a heartfelt look and asking "Are you alright?" Grr, don't you people know not to ask that question with such sympathy? That is pure evil.

----

That is so true! I can usually control crying (has always been for a personal reason, not work related), until a friend or kind soul asks "Are you OK?". NO - but DON'T ASK ME THAT! Brings on the tears every time :)

giving me a heartfelt look and asking "Are you alright?" Grr, don't you people know not to ask that question with such sympathy? That is pure evil.

A co-worker was so happy pregnant with her first child. When she went in for her final check-up, the doc said he was sorry her baby was dead. A memo went out in the office to never mention it to her.

Yes, twice in my career. Both times I was so devastated that I just couldn't stop the tears from flowing...and I wanted to kick my own fanny for it. Sometimes you just have to blow I guess. I felt better afterward, anyway, and both were caused by really unfair and horrible circumstances even looking at them on hindsight.

Perhaps they do.

No I have not. But I have spewed profanity (not at people... situations) several times. That is the male version crying. ;)

I really think that is a good point. Anger can lead to profanity, or to crying in some people.

Back
Top Bottom