Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Women with Hairy Legs and Armpits?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Women with Hairy Legs and Armpits?

How do you feel about women with hairy legs and arm pits? It seems like a lot of ladies in the younger generation (my daughter included) let their hair grow out, only shaving for special occasions. The younger men don't seem to mind, but I guess I'm stuck in my old ways and it kind of grosses me out. Hairy legs and pits seem more "masculine" to me, but I realize that's because of my own prejudices and cultural upbringing. Still, as someone who shaves their face every single day it seems kind of lazy to me to just let it all grow out.

Sheesh, I feel more narrow minded every day...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It doesn't bother me. Hair is a natural part of the human body, so I don't see what's gross about it. My cultural upbringing also taught me that women should shave their armpits and legs, but I guess that never stuck with me because it doesn't make sense. When you see a guy with a beard, do you think "Oh, that's gross, he should shave that"? And women are allowed to have hair on their head, but not their legs? Oh, and a woman is not expected to shave the hair on her arms but she is expected to shave the hair on her legs? Cultural conditioning is a very powerful thing and all of it seems so arbitrary to me.

As far as the...ummm...areas on women that are less visible to the public...I don't care about that either. Hair or no hair, it's all good.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #3

Very European!

I'm 65 and still shave my armpits because I think it prevents the proliferation of smelly bacteria. My hair in general thinned out a bit post-menopause so my legs aren't as hairy as they used to be and I rarely bother shaving them.

What's funny is that the areas...ummm... that are less visible in public get all kinds of attention. I wouldn't know this were it not for discreet glances around the obligatory no-bathing-suit group shower in the women's changing room at the geothermal pools in Reykjavik.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

My wife did laser hair removal over 20 years ago and I'm glad she did. I'm not into hairy women.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #5

A lot of the women's lib movement in the 60s and 70s was about this.
I grew up at that time and found the idea of shaving gross.
Then a backslash set in.

Now again more and more women seem to understand that the social pressure to shave body hair is part of body shaming.

How absurd is this: hair in its natural length on a leg or in an armpit is supposed to be ugly, much longer hair on a womans head is supposed to be desirable and beautiful.
Clean hair is not dirty, ugly or smelly.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
It doesn't bother me. Hair is a natural part of the human body, so I don't see what's gross about it. When you see a guy with a beard, do you think "Oh, that's gross, he should shave that"?

As far as the...ummm...areas on women that are less visible to the public...I don't care about that either. Hair or no hair, it's all good.
If a guy keeps his beard groomed nicely, then no it doesn't bother me. If it looks all scraggly and unkept, then yes he should shave that. Would it bother you if a WOMAN let her facial hair grow out?

Ironically, I prefer a little hair in "less visible" areas. I don't want to feel like I'm with a little girl. Like a man's beard, it's all about grooming. I wouldn't want a wild jungle there either.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
If a guy keeps his beard groomed nicely, then no it doesn't bother me. If it looks all scraggly and unkept, then yes he should shave that. Would it bother you if a WOMAN let her facial hair grow out?
I don't think most women have facial hair, do they?
Old 08-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Ironically, I prefer a little hair in "less visible" areas. I don't want to feel like I'm with a little girl. Like a man's beard, it's all about grooming. I wouldn't want a wild jungle there either.
That is ironic, how do you explain that? Social conditioning?
Old 08-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't care. They can do whatever. Last I knew it was still a free country.

DW was blessed with very light hair on her body. It's difficult for her to shave her legs and know where she's done. It's all good for me.

A more disturbing trend, to me, is young obese women in bikinis. Seriously, just cause they made it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #10

What other people do with their appearance does not bother me. Free country, etc. And have you seen the price on women's shavers? pack of 4 refills for the one i like $20!

Fashions and trends change, cultures differ, and it's natural to believe what was in style in our formative years is "best", and what others do is odd. It's better to more closely examine ones prejudices than to continue to judge others for them.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #11

Must be a slow Monday
Old 08-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I don't think most women have facial hair, do they?
I've had a bit of dark facial hair most of my life- mostly upper lip. I was VERY self-conscious about it. Between regular electrolysis and the fact that most of it is grey now it's far less conspicuous, but I hated the way it looked. I don't use makeup or perfume and have never had a professional manicure or pedicure, but my two ironclad grooming rules were keeping my body in shape and not having any dark facial hair except for my eyebrows/eyelashes (and I tame my eyebrows a little). We all have our vanities!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
more and more women seem to understand that the social pressure to shave body hair is part of body shaming.... hair in its natural length on a leg or in an armpit is supposed to be ugly, much longer hair on a womans head is supposed to be desirable and beautiful.
Sorry, I don't get the body shaming thing. I shave my face every day, and trim the body hair in my armpits and pubic areas regularly. This is just basic grooming so I don't end up looking like a cave man. Yeah, I could let it all grow out, it's "natural" after all. As long as I bathe regularly it's all good right? Imagine if we all looked like those cave men in the car commercials.

And yes, boys should have short hair on their head, and girls should have long hair!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caveman.jpg (36.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg woman1.jpg (65.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg woman2.jpg (232.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 08-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

From what media seems to put out, the young girls shave in the less visible area, so maybe do not want to have to shave everything... now, I have no idea if this is true... just going by what I have seen on TV a couple of times, a talk show not an actual TV show showing anything...
Old 08-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I never shaved my armpits. But I do my legs in the summer. And if I didn't pluck my chin and upper lip I might have been twirling my 'stashe right now writing this.

As for you gents I am partial to a hairy torso.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #16

I know guys that swim a lot that shave their body (except on their head). I know a lot of cyclists that shave their legs. Me personally, I shave my underarms and my wife shaves the hair off my chest to see better muscle tone. Any hair on my back gets taken off also for the same reason. I don't see the big deal.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How do you feel about women with hairy legs and arm pits? It seems like a lot of ladies in the younger generation (my daughter included) let their hair grow out, only shaving for special occasions. The younger men don't seem to mind, but I guess I'm stuck in my old ways and it kind of grosses me out. Hairy legs and pits seem more "masculine" to me, but I realize that's because of my own prejudices and cultural upbringing. Still, as someone who shaves their face every single day it seems kind of lazy to me to just let it all grow out.

Sheesh, I feel more narrow minded every day...
Yes - you are a bit narrow minded. All those poor ladies who had to shave for what - the last 50 years? to meet modern “cultural norms”.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #18

In high school in the 70's, a group of girls and I would take the football team kool-aid and cookies during summer 2-a-days. One of the girls hosted a foreign exchange student from Germany one summer, and the team figured out she'd be coming with my friend. So, they all gathered around the car when I pulled up, acting like teen-aged boys would in such a situation. She was beautiful in the face, and was tall and lean and quite striking.

But when she stuck her leg out of the back seat of my 2-door car, and they saw the mass of hair on her leg, then raised her arm to move the seat forward and her sleeveless blouse revealed her underarm hair... Well, it's a sight I'll never forget. Never saw the air go out of a situation so quickly in my life. It was something our Midwestern bumpkins had never experienced before.

Now it doesn't bother me. I still shave. Just makes me feel better.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #19

I never trusted any woman that had hairier legs than me.

Reminds me of the Bavarian beermaids in the Munich beer halls in 1970. I was always impressed how they could deliver 6 liters of beer (an masse) in each arm at the same time. They were au natural with body hair.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

OMG...they're women?

I thought they were spiders......I guess that explains all the yelling when the can of Raid was activated.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread