Women's World Cup - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no excuse any more for FIFA and national federations to keep on ignoring this truth, and it's now one of their principal tasks to go about opening opportunities for the women's game around the world, from the grassroots upwards.
Don't see where it's FIFA or anyone's role to change conservative societies into having women's soccer teams. It's their choice. Leave them alone. Don't butt in where you're not asked.

Referees for tomorrow's final:

Ref: Stéphanie FRAPPART 🇫🇷
ARef 1: Manuela NICOLOSI 🇫🇷
ARef 2: Michelle O’NEILL 🇮🇪
4th. Off: Claudia UMPIERREZ 🇺🇾

Frappart, a French official, has already officiated three games so far at the tournament: the 0-0 group stage draw between Argentina and Japan, the Netherlands' 2-1 defeat of Canada in the same round, and Sweden's 2-1 quarter-final win against Germany. I saw Frappart work in the Netherlands/Canada and Sweden/Germany fixtures - both were hard fought matches that would test the best of referees. She demonstrated command presence when required without unnecessarily inserting herself into the game. Good decision IMO to award her a well-earned final.

Frappart became the first woman to referee a professional men's game in France's Ligue 2, before subsequently taking charge of matches at Ligue 1 level last season.
Give me Steinhaus. Anyone else is 2nd best.

Don't see where it's FIFA or anyone's role to change conservative societies into having women's soccer teams. It's their choice. Leave them alone. Don't butt in where you're not asked.

Who's choice? Is it the women in those countries? Or a patriarchy that imposes 2nd class status upon one gender to the benefit of another? I'm taking a wild guess it's the latter. Incredible that anyone would view the struggle for equal treatment to be a matter of butting in.

Last edited:
Who's choice? Is it the women in those countries? Or a patriarchy that imposes 2nd class status upon one gender to the benefit of another? I'm taking a wild guess it's the latter. Incredible that anyone would view the struggle for equal treatment to be a matter of butting in.
I'll hazard that your view of what is equal treatment & their view could be different. And yes, FIFA tying payments to your view of what is equal is butting in both by you & FIFA.

Some appear not to be happy unless others agree with them & refuse to accept differences.

This has been a most pleasant discussion so far; educational, well informed and civil. Hopefully we can keep it that way. :)

Some appear not to be happy unless others agree with them & refuse to accept differences.

In the interest of civility @gerntz, let's just say that you and I will once again have to agree to disagree when it comes to this issue. I doubt that anything either one of us may have to say to the other will be convincing.

Now, in the interest of keeping this thread on topic, do you have any thoughts you'd like to contribute in regards to tomorrow's final match?

By the number of thread participants, it's obvious soccer is not the goto watchable sport. But I find it to be very interesting to watch for reasons stated by others. In some ways it is a simple field game. Your team has the ball and tries to move it through the field, one third or so at a time. Your team tries to unbalance the other by moving more players into your area of possession. Some teams are more possession oriented (Netherlands) while other teams may play more directly (USA).

Most people don't care about female sports. People want to see the best athletes. Let's take baseball. How many show up at a minor league game? Some, but a tiny fraction of what a MLB would bring in. There are about 25,000 women attending every night at a Dodgers game. It's not that women or men are not interested in sports, but they want to see the best athlete perform.

I remember when University of Nebraska had a promotion. They gave away free bacon to any male that came and watched the female sports event. Still nobody showed up.

Now will there be a limited about of interest in any athletic event. Sure. I've got two daughters who have competed in gymnastics, basketball ( the fan attendance for the boys teams were about 10 times the girl games) cross country, and volleyball. They were both Junior Olympic swimmers. But beyond the families involved, hardly anybody would show up to view these activities.

Regarding the sport on this thread, I think that the Hope Solo assaults on her family members turned a good many away from the topic of women's soccer.

I'll hazard that your view of what is equal treatment & their view could be different. And yes, FIFA tying payments to your view of what is equal is butting in both by you & FIFA.

While fifa is all kinds of dysfunctional, I don’t see why it can’t spend / withold money in ways it thinks will promote football participation around the world. That’s their self stated primary mission. Getting half the population around the world the chance to participate more meaningfully is certainly part of that. If some country doesn’t like women’s participation in football , they should leave fifa and start their own more exclusionary minded football association.

Last edited:
I listened to an interesting discussion on some of the statistics around the 2 World Cups currently going on. (Women's Soccer and the Cricket 1 day world cup). Of the TV viewing figures then the split between the genders was identical, 60/40 men/women. For the England v USA women's game 9 million watched it live in the USA and 12 million in the UK. (I can't remember the worldwide total viewing figures)

Last edited:
Most people don't care about female sports. People want to see the best athletes. Let's take baseball. How many show up at a minor league game? Some, but a tiny fraction of what a MLB would bring in. There are about 25,000 women attending every night at a Dodgers game. It's not that women or men are not interested in sports, but they want to see the best athlete perform.

I remember when University of Nebraska had a promotion. They gave away free bacon to any male that came and watched the female sports event. Still nobody showed up.

Now will there be a limited about of interest in any athletic event. Sure. I've got two daughters who have competed in gymnastics, basketball ( the fan attendance for the boys teams were about 10 times the girl games) cross country, and volleyball. They were both Junior Olympic swimmers. But beyond the families involved, hardly anybody would show up to view these activities.

Regarding the sport on this thread, I think that the Hope Solo assaults on her family members turned a good many away from the topic of women's soccer.
IMO, just because there is less interest in a sport, it does not mean that most people don't care. It may just mean that more dollars feed a sport for whatever reason. In a male-dominated society, I'd reckon most dollars go to male sports. For example, a single ballplayer received a 10-year contract for $330M. The number of people who bought the jersey and game tickets was an astounding number. But it hasn't boosted his performance or lifted the team out of mediocrity. Still, his name will probably be near the top of most people's top ten list. What does that say of most people?

Hope Solo's alleged assault was never proven, and the case was dropped. Bad behavior by her, I'll grant, but nothing on the level of punching out a girlfriend or wife.

What I know from a decade of coaching youth soccer, is that interest in soccer peaked in the US long ago, but continues to rise in the rest of the world. So, the decline of interest preceded Hope Solo by many years, IMO.

I support equality, and recognize I need to put my dollars and time behind the cause.

2014 FIFA Women's Football Survey

https://resources.fifa.com/image/up...rvey-2522649.pdf?cloudid=emtgxvp0ibnebltlvi3b

Excerpts from the report's summary:

Various indicators were analysed and revealed the great discrepancies in the stages of women’s football development at the worldwide level. Differences were found in the number of practitioners and/or licensed players, number of staff dedicated to women’s football, existence of top women’s football leagues and the resources available.

For example, there is a correlation between the position of the member associations in the FIFA rankings and the existence of a top national women’s league. This ranges from 100% for the best-performing member associations to 65% for the least competitive.

The relatively low number of registered female players in the least competitive member associations is not only due to the lack of competitions and playing opportunities for women and girls, but often also to the non-existence of a registration system.

In total, 91% of female players are registered with the top 20 member associations of the FIFA rankings. The research also pinpointed that the number of practitioners for 10,000 inhabitants is much greater in the United States and Canada than in any other world region.

The study also shows that the integration of women’s football within the member association structure should be further enhanced. Women represent only 8% of executive committee members at association level. This underlines the difficulties for women in reaching key senior positions in member association structures.

Highly ranked member associations had more female coaches registered. This is probably because these member associations place more emphasis on female participation and role models. Another possible reason is that highly ranked member associations have increased opportunities to provide for female coaches, including better education and development programmes.

While 36% of member associations consider women’s football to be a great platform for international participation, only 5% perceive it as an attractive area for investment. This shows the need to work more on promoting and selling women’s football as a product.

As predicated the game was one sided and if not for the outstanding Dutch goalkeeper the score would have been much worse.

A well earned WC title for the U.S. women. They had to win-out going through the toughest side of the knockout bracket.

As predicated the game was one sided and if not for the outstanding Dutch goalkeeper the score would have been much worse.

Didn't you mean to say "the score would have been much better"?

A Look Ahead For The USWNT

Average age of the current USWNT senior squad - 28.5 years

The younger age cohorts of U.S. womens' national team squads have not performed particularly well as of late.

The rest of the world is catching up to the U.S., especially UEFA national teams.

It will be interesting to see what develops over the next several years for women's soccer not just in the U.S., but around the world.

The younger age cohorts of U.S. womens' national team squads have not performed particularly well as of late.

The rest of the world is catching up to the U.S., especially UEFA national teams.

It’s possible the second sentence explains the first. They may be playing at the same level but that is now just average, not outstanding as it once was.

Average age of the current USWNT senior squad - 28.5 years

It will be interesting to see what develops over the next several years for women's soccer not just in the U.S., but around the world.
There's a lot of worry in the US about concussions. American Football is one thing. There's a whole thread on this site bashing the idea of having your kids play due to safety concerns.

But for soccer, concussions have also been a factor in our friend's kid's participation. They let their girl play, only to have two concussions. The first from an errant shot from behind that hit her head. The other from a collision. I'm not even talking headers. Because of this, they had to yank her out for good. Other parents are cutting the problem off at the lead and not even letting their kids participate.

There's a lot of worry in the US about concussions. American Football is one thing. There's a whole thread on this site bashing the idea of having your kids play due to safety concerns.

But for soccer, concussions have also been a factor in our friend's kid's participation. They let their girl play, only to have two concussions. The first from an errant shot from behind that hit her head. The other from a collision. I'm not even talking headers. Because of this, they had to yank her out for good. Other parents are cutting the problem off at the lead and not even letting their kids participate.

It is worth remembering that football (soccer) is a contact sport. Although U.S. soccer no longer allows deliberate heading of the ball for players 11 years and under, there is still a risk of head injury due to incidental player collision and being struck by a driven ball.

I think your friends were wise in pulling their daughter from playing soccer or any other sort of contact sports for that matter after a 2nd concussion.

Sports in general, and especially those that involve some type of contact (player and/or ball) have a risk/reward involved. The rewards of a positive youth sports experience, be it individual or team, can payoff over a lifetime in terms of fitness, self-esteem, discipline and teamwork. The risk of injury, to varying degrees, must be weighed by parents individually.

Hindsight being what it is, if we could have turned back the clock, DW & I would have never permitted our oldest son to play American football in high school 20+ years ago. To the best of our knowledge, he was never concussed.

Hmm, I am not sure that concussions are the main concern. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is associated with mood, behavioral and cognitive issues including dementia. It isn't clear how much contribution is from the concussions or repetitive sub concussive injuries. There may or may not be something about American football that makes it more common. Still getting repetitive concussions in soccer doesn't seem like a good idea.

Dominate. Could have been larger difference. Congrats!

IMO, just because there is less interest in a sport, it does not mean that most people don't care. It may just mean that more dollars feed a sport for whatever reason. In a male-dominated society, I'd reckon most dollars go to male sports. For example, a single ballplayer received a 10-year contract for $330M. The number of people who bought the jersey and game tickets was an astounding number. But it hasn't boosted his performance or lifted the team out of mediocrity. Still, his name will probably be near the top of most people's top ten list. What does that say of most people?

Hope Solo's alleged assault was never proven, and the case was dropped. Bad behavior by her, I'll grant, but nothing on the level of punching out a girlfriend or wife.

What I know from a decade of coaching youth soccer, is that interest in soccer peaked in the US long ago, but continues to rise in the rest of the world. So, the decline of interest preceded Hope Solo by many years, IMO.

I support equality, and recognize I need to put my dollars and time behind the cause.

Hope Solo punched a minor, and broke a broom over a women's head.

I consider that an assault, not bad behavior. But we are all free to think the way we want.

We agree about supporting equality. So punching a GF, a wife, a BF, or a husband should all be treated the same. Either we want equality or we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom