Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Something very different about soccer is the coach's impact on the game. Because there are only three substitutions possible, the choices are very limited, and the coach's selections have a huge impact on the game's outcome. In an extended outing like this tournament, the coach makes adjustments that are required, or doesn't, and the team has to work with the hand that coach deals for them. If there is an on-field playmaker, a lot can be overcome. I think that USA has enough playmakers that we won't see PK's, or so I hope.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
You missed a good one, Alan. I had no idea that women's soccer football was in such low regard in England until the commentators mentioned it just about every 5 minutes in the 2nd half.

Really looking forward to this evening's game! DSIL and her family watched the USA semi-final with us on Tuesday and I think it was the first time any of them had watched a soccer match. Coincidentally, they'll be here tonight as well on their way back to CO tomorrow. So they are stuck with watching another match.
I feel sure that if I had watched it they would have lost. I am not accustomed to watching England beat Germany in a World or European cup match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Something very different about soccer is the coach's impact on the game. Because there are only three substitutions possible, the choices are very limited, and the coach's selections have a huge impact on the game's outcome. In an extended outing like this tournament, the coach makes adjustments that are required, or doesn't, and the team has to work with the hand that coach deals for them. If there is an on-field playmaker, a lot can be overcome. I think that USA has enough playmakers that we won't see PK's, or so I hope.
When I were a lad they were only allowed to name and use 1 substitute, so they have it easy these days. Joking aside, substitutes are a big factor in today's game as you say, and coaches can be heroes in the eye of the spectator depending on who is brought on and taken off. Ex-Ireland coach Mick McCarthy was interviewed once after he had made 2 substitutions late in the game while his side, Wolves, were losing at home 3-1. The crowd were screaming for his head because they didn't agree with the changes but the subs combined twice to make it 3-3. When asked about the subs he said, "I try to ignore the supporters at times like this. The team were playing really poorly and I actually wanted to replace our best player Martin Jarvis but I was afraid that if I put up number 11, the whole team would have come off"

Old 07-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #23

Seriously, 4-0 already? I thought Japan was supposed to be good.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Seriously, 4-0 already? I thought Japan was supposed to be good.
Amazing, but these things happen.

Almost exactly a year ago in the men's soccer world cup finals in Brazil, the very highly rated home team met Germany in the semi-final. Brazil 1 Germany 7, the biggest shock in many decades in the men's game. (some say the biggest shock ever in the game)

Japan are the only team so far to have a 100% record in these finals. Go USA
Old 07-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

4-1 at the half. You never know...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #26

5-2 final. Well done USWNT! Excellent coverage by Fox! Put the guy in charge of soccer in charge of US Open golf!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Excellent game... score could have been much higher on both sides... many good scoring chances botched...

Glad to see USA win...
Old 07-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm nominating Carli Lloyd for Secretary of Education.

She schooled U.S. opponents in this World Cup!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #29

Quote:

Carli Lloyd is the weirdest world class professional athlete ever - SBNation.com

If the writer of that article or anyone else knew what soccer environment Lloyd came up through, they would be more like, "This girl's incredible. Somehow she plays with all these world class players who have better pedigrees and played year-round in sunny states, but she wins games."
Not only she tied the record for most goals scored in a World Cup final men's or women's but she was all over the field and received the Golden ball award for the most outstanding player to go along with the cup. I'll take this weirdest world class professional athlete any day of the week.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
I'm nominating Carli Lloyd for Secretary of Education.

She schooled U.S. opponents in this World Cup!

Who ever heard of a hat trick in soccer ? Happy birthday USA courtesy of Carli !

Old 07-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Not only she tied the record for most goals scored in a World Cup final men's or women's but she was all over the field and received the Golden ball award for the most outstanding player to go along with the cup. I'll take this weirdest world class professional athlete any day of the week.
Similar comparisons exist with USMNT player Timmy Chandler - an enigma to both fans & his coaches. One moment, he seems to be marking space on the field then another, he scores a goal like he did versus Guatemala on Friday. Like Carli Lloyd's coach Jill Ellis, Klinsmann sticks with Chandler because of moments like this one:

Old 07-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #32

Wonderful game. Good job USA!
Old 07-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
It's also the only cup final hat-trick to be scored in regular time, and will be the fastest hat-trick I think for a very long time. The only other World Cup final hatrick was completed in the 120th minute, whereas she scored hers within the first 17 minutes.

Awesome!!
Old 07-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Who ever heard of a hat trick in soccer ? Happy birthday USA courtesy of Carli !

If I am not mistaken, Germany had two people do it in one game at the beginning of this World Cup...

It is not as strange as you might think...
Old 07-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #35

I think the goal from midfield was icing on the cake.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye...final-vs-japan
Old 07-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If I am not mistaken, Germany had two people do it in one game at the beginning of this World Cup...

It is not as strange as you might think...
FWIW
Quote:
Scoring a hat-trick in a World Cup is a relatively rare event: only 50 hat-tricks have been scored in over 700 matches in the 19 editions of the World Cup tournament. [Lloyd's was only the second time in a final though]

The only World Cup not to have at least one hat-trick scored was the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany.

The quickest [earliest in a game] hat-trick to be completed is Carli Lloyd's three goals during the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup. She scored her third in the 16th minute, after scoring her first goal in the 3rd minute and her second in the 5th.

The briefest hat-trick to be completed - that is, the shortest time between the first and third goals - is the one by László Kiss in 1982 against El Salvador. He scored at 69', 72', and 76', making the time between his first and third 7 minutes. This is also the only hat-trick scored by a substitute.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...Cup_hat-tricks

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:42 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Carli Lloyd.jpg
Old 07-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Absolutely. It reminded me of a goal that David Beckham scored in his prime, but Beckham's was on the other side of the half line and went in on the fly.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #39

I am not much of a soccer fan, but that was no typical soccer game. Great game by our gals.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #40

This season possibly saw the best goal by an outplayer from well within his own half.

Charlie Adams in the game with Chelsea

http://youtu.be/1OGMoX-S5uE