Join Early Retirement Today

Won a tuition certificate
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Won a tuition certificate

I was very lucky at a golf outing this past weekend and won a tuition certificate for a community college for $500. What classes do you suggest I think about taking?

I have been retired 4 years and have no need or desire to work. Maybe I should find someone to pass this on to since it is transferable.

The bad part of taking classes is the school is about 1-1/2 hr drive away in Fremont, Ohio.
cashbalancetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on the win.

That the school is 90 minutes away would lead me to transfer it, personally. But if you want to take some classes, you know what you are interested in. Particularly since you're securely retired, it can be 100% personal enrichment as opposed to something less interesting to you that could help a career. And you know better than anyone else what interests you...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Check and see if they also have online classes .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on the win! If you decide not to use it, perhaps you could talk with the college about an endowment to a worthy student.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Donate it to charity.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Administrator

You might call the guidance counselors at a local HS and ask if they have a student who could use an assist in the upcoming year. Seniors often take classes at Community Colleges and many will be going to on to full time status.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
gone traveling

Give the CC a call and ask them to put you in touch with a professor in your area of interest- accounting, IT, or geology for example. Ask them if they have a particularly dedicated student (bright kid, working mom, laid-off dad trying to better himself, etc) in their department that shows promise and could use the help. Let the professor give them the $500 gift certificate anyonymously. You would more than be taking the classes for entertainment value, the 180mile commute would eat up the $500 anyway- pay it forward to a bright student who needs a hand.

Just my 2cents worth- now you have $500.02 worth of freebies to give away.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
the 180mile commute would eat up the $500 anyway
That's the real issue...... transportation costs would be way too high to justify sitting in a classroom unless the subject matter really appealed to you.

I'd look at one of two options to avoid the commuting problem:

1. As others have mentioned, give it away and feel good about it.

2. Check to see if the CC offers travel as courses. Ours does. Friends recently took a Canadian canoe camping trip (for credit no less!) that included transportation, equipment, guides, the whole banana and got 2 semester hours credit in the Parks and Recreation cirriculum. The class met twice before departure for some preliminary training and planning and required no tests or papers. The said it was a ball and their "classmates" were primarily fellow geezers. I also see the English department offers trips to New York and Europe primarily to see plays. Check it out!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would: 1. See if they have online courses as suggested before then 2. try selling it cheaply ($250) on Craigslist or somewhere else and then 3. donate it to a worthy person, and, if you don't know anyone have the College suggest someone (when I was a poor, starving student I'd been thrilled with this). So glad you won, tho, but it just is not worth driving that far for a course to me.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

i recommend a language class ... just because...
heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Financial Planning, investing~ Anything along that line. Just to see what BS they are throwing out to the kids.

Congrats BTW, $500 is $500.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I took my Personal Investing college course at the local community college, 3/4ths of the class of 25 were people over 60. Most of them were already heavy investors just seeing if they could learn something new, and they never missed a class even tho some of the class had to be repetitive to them. The older students were really into it, and the younger ones seemed bored and tuned out most of the time. So, yes, I agree I would take something in the finance field first. If nothing new there for me, I'd go the foreign language route totally.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashbalancetrouble View Post
I was very lucky at a golf outing this past weekend and won a tuition certificate for a community college for $500. What classes do you suggest I think about taking?

I have been retired 4 years and have no need or desire to work. Maybe I should find someone to pass this on to since it is transferable.

The bad part of taking classes is the school is about 1-1/2 hr drive away in Fremont, Ohio.
Here's an example of a class offered by the local community college here. Taking this class would avoid having to make that long drive very many times and sounds pretty enjoyable. Of course, you'd have to add some serious bux to that $500 certificate. But there are a number of less expensive courses available you could choose from that sound like this one: a vacation preceded by a single class session where you discuss the itinerary, etc. Skin diving in the Fla Keys, hiking Calif parks, seeing plays in London........ Sounds like you could have a good time with that 500 bux!!

Quote:
Alaska: Traversing the Inside Passage
Alaska's rugged Inside Passage is known for having an unrivaled assortment of wildlife, a rich variety of native, early russian, and gold rush history, and magnificent natural beauty. The entire region is shrouded in mountains, glaciers and the Tongass National Forest, the largest contiguous temperate rain forest in the world. Join us as we hike and explore this remarkable area and travel the scenic Alaska Marine Highway to destinations such as Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka and the remarkable Glacier Bay National Park. Participants must be comfortable traveling with a large backpack as their luggage for the duration of the trip.
Class: June 2, 2010 - 6-8PM
Field Study: June 22 - July 2, 2010
Fee: $2,330 (includes all air, land and water transportation, park admissions, camp fees, lodging fees, camping equipment and some meals).
Old 10-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Participants must be comfortable traveling with a large backpack as their luggage for the duration of the trip.

Wow, that's my kinda trip. I have traveled to many of those places on a big-ass ship and would really enjoy a slower-paced adventure. Wonder if the "air transportation" includes Texas to Alaska?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote